Richard Thompson

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by phatster, Feb 7, 2008.

1. phatster

phatster Member

Does anyone know what brand guitar and pick-up config. he uses?I just saw him in concert and I'm blown away with his vibe.Strongly recommend you some RT!!:)

2. phatster

phatster Member

FWIW I found the info on his website.....he uses Lowden with a Sunrise pick-up as well as a internal microphone in the soundhole.This all goes through a pre-amp then to the PA.His sound is very crisp yet has very good bass.:munch

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

And his electric is a ferrington with three pickups, three volumes, and no tonme. He uses divided by 13 and fender amps.

4. royd

royd Member

5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

He primarily (exclusively?) plays Lowden acoustics live -- as others have suggested, most recently a signature model that George Lowden has created. For electric he tends to favor that custom built Danny Ferrington guitar that he has been using for many years now. He uses Divided By 13 and Fender amplification, and the Sunrise preamp and pick up for the Lowden acoustic.

Additionally, he occasionally records with a vintage Martin OOO-18, his trusty old Stratocaster, a Rick Kelly Blackguard Kellecaster, an Eastwood Archtop, and a hurdy gurdy that he built (mostly) himself.

6. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Yes, Richard Thompson is a fantastic guitarist with stunning tone.

7. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I've seen him dozens of times; one of my faves. To me, his best sound was his old Strat straight into a BF Deluxe Reverb. That was around the time of Across a Crowded Room.

He's such a great songwriter. He is one of the few where I just can't wait to hear the new stuff. I remember watching him on television when Joni Mitchell was getting some presidential award. If I recall correctly, a bunch of musicians were going to cover her tunes, but one of the major artists was sick. He basically took over. A few times they panned to Joni's face and she was either in prayor or in tears. He is an artist.

8. phatster

phatster Member

I agree....he is so versitle but has that identifiable style when covering other artists work.Very laid back but sharp wit...I marvel at his comfort level with any thing thrown at him.I stronly recommend his current"a thousand years of popular music" tour.

9. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

What is a guy like Richard Thompson thinking when he plays/writes solos? What directs where he goes? Is it some kind of theory or scales or modes? I mean I know from a interview I read somewhere that he is fluent in his knowledge. But how does one even start to approach this kind of playing?

10. phatster

phatster Member

I feel your love bro....if we only could bottle that!!

11. A-Bone

Amen to that. He is definitely musically fluent, literate, and eloquent. One of the things that he has done deliberately for many years is play all kinds of music that he could get his hands on, and to play all the time--as well as playing with all different kinds of musicians in all different musical and performance contexts. To get an inkling of just how musically knowledgeable he is, check out his performance of "1,000 Years of Popular Music", which features a remarkable collection of all sorts of musical forms in a compact format. Granted, he is not doing this show all the time, but he does occasionally hint at its limited revival among his live performance repertoire.

I also remember reading an interview where he talked about how he almost always plays while watching television, for instance.

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

hes one of the few people I have been to see live many times , and each time is different - he is an amazing live performer, still has a really good old school rapport with an audience...

but my first thought of RT is always the times when he goes into an extended solo and eventually he hits that Zen place where I have no idea what he is playing (he may not either) - some how he is playing egyptian bagpipe blues - true cross style improvisation - actual muse-ic :phones

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

need I say Grizzly man? ole Werner about has a cow a few times in the studio..and I did too.

14. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

Fans of Thompson should definitely check out the documentary on the recording of the music to the Grizzly Man film. Here you get to see Thompson work his magic on various solo acoustic pieces as well as on electric. He even plays through a Dumble . . . needless to say, a great video for TGP Thompson fans!

The documentary is an extra feature on the Grizzly Man DVD.

15. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

Heh . . . looks like soulohio beat me to it!

:BluesBros

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

yep...archetype dumble sound...brings to mind 'running on empty' without the slide..

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

wow, I never new he did that or about the doc....thanks !

18. A-Bone

Great documentary and great music. Cool to see and hear Thompson working with Kaiser et al. to achieve music that fits Herzog's abstract concepts for it. Also remarkable just how well Thompson is able to improvise and create music in this circumstance that is so fully formed and so well fit to Herzog's interesting instructions.

19. phatster

phatster Member

This a well deserved love fest!!:phones:AOK

20. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.