Richie Kotzen should be as well known as John Mayer, Prince, and others.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
Richie does it all. He is as prolific as anyone. Great songs such as: Trophy; War Paint; Make it Easy; Taking on the Pain; Faith; and the nylon string delicious tune called Time for the Payment. To me, this is the upper tier talent of well rounded rock musicians. I think he belongs in the household name category of talented musicians.

Jake E. Lynch

Richie does it all. He is as prolific as anyone. Great songs such as: Trophy; War Paint; Make it Easy; Taking on the Pain; Faith; and the nylon string delicious tune called Time for the Payment. To me, this is the upper tier talent of wstaell rounded rock musicians. I think he belongs in the household name category of talented musicians.
I agree a hundred percent. Kotzen was born too late. Sure, he had the advantage of time and getting to learn from many of the best guitar players who ever existed, but if someone with all of his talent and abilities had come along in the 70's or 80's, he would have been a superstar. Now days at least in America, people could care less. Can he RAP? Talent is meaningless. So Kotzen is forced to make a living playing little shows all over the world for a handful of people who are not musically brain dead. There is not much money in recording records today either because people burn a copy and share it for free as soon as it is released.

I think his window of opportunity was right around the end of the hair metal scene right before the grunge era took over.

bobcs71

If he had a hit song that would have helped.
People think it is easy to write & arrange a hit song. In a recent video, Tim Pierce shares how arranging happens during a session. If it was easy we could all do it and the Beatles wouldn't be special.

Last edited:

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
Should be as well-known as Prince? No. At that level, which we can call universal fame, much more than musicianly chops and songcrafting are key ingredients. Charisma, a particular look and persona, attitude, and a thirst for the spotlight have to be present. Richie doesn’t tick all the boxes required, and also seems not to have sought to do so.

madmarcus1960

Silver Supporting Member
I'd remove the as famous as quote and just state that he's multi talented and should, based on guitar prowess and vocal ability, way more well known than just in the guitar community.
Mayer is polarizing, Prince is just a HOF legend. Kotzen plays everything himself on his recordings, bass, drums, keys, guitar obviously. Has a Cornell vibe sometimes, a Daryl Hall vibe other times.
Just a damn good musician.
As far as Poison, he replaced the original guitar player and wrote some of their best selling album. As they say, only in it for the money. After that he built a studio in SoCal and formed the fusion band I mentioned above.
He should be seen to be appreciated. Like most working musicians, that aren't household names, he brings it, live.
Then to see a guitarist shred without using a pick!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom