Richter 5E3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kmaz, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

The Tweed Deluxe replica, I believe. Can anyone give some opinions on this amp and how it compares to the other 'big name' tweed deluxe makers?

2. Trout

Trout Member

Love mine,

Do a search on Richter, there are lots of posts on her amps.

Trout

3. 03hal

03hal Member

Me too.

I posted mine in the emporium- blame GAS, and lack of playing time, not the amp- and someone suggested that a scratchy volume pot might be a symptom of some serious problem. Not only did Sara get in touch with me to address the issue, but she also told me that if anything really were wrong she'd be available to help out.

After this (I may be slow, but not hopeless) I realized that it might be a bad idea to sell an amp that
    1) sounds great; and
    2) is built great; and
    3) was made by a builder that goes out of her way to make sure her customers are happy, to the extent that she was trying to help me SELL the amp.

The Richter is not going anywhere now.

Anyway, I imagine most of the tweed builders do a good job, and I only have experience with Sara, but for my money she's the best. Maybe all of those other guys would have done what she did . . . but she's already done it.

Regarding the amp, it is great- very 3D sounds- no reverb but you won't miss it. The cleans have a depth that is very unique, and the drive sounds are pure tweed. The controls are very interactive, and don't be afraid to try the mic inputs. Without even considering the price, this is a fantastic amp. I'm still looking for a good overdrive, but the search is part (most?) of the fun.

My only complaint- she hasn't offered an el34 amp yet.

Hal

4. Trout

Trout Member

Hey Hal,

Sara actually did sell an EL34/KT77 based head style amp. I played one briefly at her house a few weeks back.
    There are still pictures and clips on her ebay Me page of the amp I tried. She said she stopped making them because A: no body took her seriously and B: no customer interest. I first saw the amp in action at a bar last New Years Eve, The guitarist in the band was her brother in law?

Trout

5. Zim

Zim Member

Hal, I'm glad you came to your sences before I had the money up. lol, or I'd be enjoying your amp.

I'm a Richter 5E3 Fan. I'm trying get another, but it seems my money ends up here or there before I can buy one. I need to get on the ball before my band goes back in the studio, we plan on using it there. It will be in w/ a '65 Twin Reverb, an AC30, and a home brew EL84 amp (sounds Sweet) A 64/65 Falcon, along w/ a few others.

I'll keep you posted, we are doing rough tracks right now along w/ writing new tunes. This will be record #2, but the first for the "real band" The first was done w/ just the singer/guitar player and hired musicians.

And Sara is great w/ here customer service. Even with all the dumb questions I asked, lol. She is great.

6. 03hal

03hal Member

I thought I had heard this before, and there are some reviews on HC. I'll have to listen to those clips. I'd love it if she would build these again, especially if she could do a low-power version.

I bet that brother-in-law gets to play some nice amps!

Hal

7. 03hal

03hal Member

Ha- my wife was telling me it was a bad move the whole time!

Like I said before, it was never about the amp- I had (have) very little time to play, and I am more of a rock guy, so I figured I'd get something gainier. And, to be honest, this amp shows how bad my playing is. There is nothing to hide behind- you have to actually make music, not just chug the E string and hit pinch harmonics. Anyway, I spent a few hours with my les paul and the amp, just trying different things, and I realized that there is a lot more to guitar tones than I had appreciated.

And Zim, I'd love to hear some clips- I'm band-less so I have to experience it through you guys.

8. Zim

Zim Member

9. Trout

Trout Member

Interesting Songs,

Who is the vocalist? He has kind of a Mark Knopfler ala Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet twang, very good potential.

Trout

10. Zim

Zim Member

A fellow by the name of Paul Schimert. He plays the rythm and sings. Also, these are all his songs, except for the 2 covers. Next record will be a Band Effort of sorts. but mostly still his songs.

Yes, lot of potential, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time, lol.

There is also a myspace page, I'd link it, but I can't get myspace at work, it has a couple full songs on it.

11. 03hal

03hal Member

ARRGGH!

Stupid work computer. I'll look forward to checking this out when I get home.

Thanks Zim.

12. Boogs

Boogs Member

The Richter is a great tweed Deluxe clone. VERY well built, great sounding stock after you break the speaker in, and top notch seller.

13. Dale

Dale Member

I love mine.

14. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Supporting Member

Here a few rudimentary clips of me playing my new Rice Custom tele through my Richter 5E3. It gives a bit of a feel for the tone of this amp. This amp is the best sound for single coil guitars I have ever heard, period. http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=johnbres2

15. Trout

Trout Member

16. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Hey, thanks Trout. Long time no see ~

To answer your question Kmaz', my impression of it is that it's just a joy to own and play. What I love most about my Richter is how touch sensitive it is. You can play light and it's sweet, dig in a bit and you get some spank ~ It's light and portable. The tone is wonderful, and comes across much better live than my primitive attempts at recording could ever convey. It's like a lie detector it's so true. The workmanship is second to none. Not being an electronics expert of any kind, I listen to what my amp tech friends say when they open it up and see the top notch job of assembly and component selection and let out a quiet ' wow, nice-" I never had any interest in even playing, let alone owning, an amp without reverb, but I don't even bother to hook up my Fender reverb tank. And Sara is like the fairy godmother of guitar players without a Trump style bankroll. As well as this amp sounds and is built, it's like a gift at the price at which she offers them.
    Here's another clip, ---no laughing !
    http://www.youtube.com/user/otaypanky2

17. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Supporting Member

Dude, those are such great clips--you really get to hear your playing and the amp (both of which are excellent!)

18. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

That's very kind of you Johnnyqb, thank you. That Richter sure is fun to play, I have a hard time shutting it off. I see you're up in Sara's neck of the woods. I'm sure she would be glad to have you try one, you should give her a call.

19. Zim

Zim Member

oh, Johnny has the Richter thing covered. He has a VERY nice one! lol

20. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

If he keeps bringing it by to try out guitars I might end up buying one (10 amps is already more than I need).