• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Rick 360/12 Roundwound strings?

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I have a newish Rick 360/12 w/ Toasters on it. It came to me with flatwound strings. Flats give it that classic Rick sound, but they are a little beastly to play (on a guitar that is, by itself, pretty difficult to get used to). Curious if anyone here has put roundwounds on one and/or if this will really make much of a difference, feel-wise on the axe? Rick traditionalists seem to have some very strong opinions on this topic.

As a sidenote- I've been playing guitar 15 years, I generally play 11 gauge strings and use action a little on the high side, so I don't think this is simply a matter of a weak left hand (could very well be though).

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
I no longer have my 360/12, I didn't bond with the pencil neck.

I didn't care for the Pyramid flatwounds myself either, so I wound up using Rickenbacker round wounds.

Personally, I liked the feel and the tone of those much better than the Pyramids but they didn't do much for the skinny neck.

gtrnstuff

I always used D'addario rounds on my Ric 12. Great sound. But I'm with claudel, I couldn't deal with the narrow neck. My fingers were always muffling the adjacent open strings that I wanted to ring.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
I've always found it unbelievable that Ric doesn't offer a wider neck option on their twelve string models, the only ones that have it are some sig models like the Petty and the McGuinn limited editions. They seem to be a very conservative company, McGuinn said he had a hard time getting them to even put the compressor in his model. It seems that since they used to use the narrow neck as a selling point in their twelve string guitars (same width as the 6 string guitars!), they don't want to give us one with a wider neck. I think they are missing the boat here, as many players just can't hack the narrow string spacing. I think my brother told me he got one production twelve with a wider neck, but they are very hard to find.

I also think Pyramid should put out a twelve string set of their round core pure nickel strings (Classics), that would be awesome IMO. I've thought of making my own custom set with a 6 string set and extra strings, the only extra wound string I think that would be needed would be the second string for the low "E" position, the rest would be plain strings. I don't think any company makes a pure nickel 12 string set that I know of. I think the recent Rickenbacker strings are actually made by D'Addario or someone else, McGuinn used to use those before he got into the Pyramid flats.

Al

Trending Topics