Rick Beato is not happy

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
But steak is vegetarian.
EUvrieaXgAA1zfJ.png

tymish

Actually it wasn't but I deleted my comment in another thread and if that's your only defense I probably struck a nerve and you're indeed a fanboy but keep inventing these excuses I'm not falling for this bs.
LOL Ok sure, whatever you need to believe. I've just seen a few of his videos and they were pretty cool as far as showing how the music was put together and others were some decent educational stuff about studio recording, EQs, compressors and the like.

But I'm too old to be a fan'boy' of much anyone or anything. Almost all your posts are about Beato so carry on, the thread is all yours, I'm not into it

uab9253

Silver Supporting Member
Look - I make YouTube videos. And those videos are watched by hundreds and hundreds of people. Hundreds upon hundreds, in fact. So I know a thing or two, because I've seen a thing or two.
Allow me to clear up a couple of misconceptions that I see being repeated in this thread, with all due humility considering my massive following:
1. There really is no mechanism for getting clearance for copyright in advance. And even if there were, the YT Robo sniffer would still grab it and hold it. There is no system in place for publishers to say "This one guy is okay to use this one song on YT". Even if you know the artist - and in a couple of cases with my own content I did, they generally don't control the publishing and cannot grant you permission to use it.
2. Movies, Television and YouTube all work completely differently respective of rights, uses, permissions. See #1
3. There is no way for a viewer to tell if a particular YT video has been demonetized. It's still running ads, you betcha, but the channel ain't getting none of those sweet micro-pennies. The copyright holder is.
4. Some publishers have mechanisms/options to "Share" revenue for a video, particularly for usage identified as a "Cover Version". Does the word share mean fiddy fiddy? Hells no. They'll break you off a fiver or a tenner if you're lucky. It's a helluva vig in YT land.
5. I used to do these top ten list and use clips/music in my Kasey Kasem Countdown shlock style. The very first one I did had a block and I had to take it down and recut it. The next few got claimed but I wasn't monetized or even eligible so I gave no sloots. Then I learned to just gather the clips and "audition" them by publishing them privately and seeing what dings. Take it down, recut, repeat. Rick always acts surprised when they hit his wallet. There is never any surprise unless there is a manual claim, post publishing of the video.
6. Expanding on #5, after I audition a clip or something that's mostly even just me playing stuff overtop of something else, if it lights up the Copyright detection like a terrifying pet scan, I bail on it. Or I cut it some more. You piece together shorter clips or "Copyright Bomb!" them like I do. That means I just blast an explosion noise and graphic a time or two over the music clip to confuse the machine. You can't always do that though because some people have to care about things like views and likes and stuff. I clown for the love of it so I do what makes me laugh. It's not that I'm unpopular, it's that my appeal is very selective.
7. I have, on two occasions with a third pending, filed a dispute based on Fair Use, Parody and/or Commentary and both times I have "won". What that means is they kick the dispute to the rights holder, and if they don't respond or say yes, you "win". Likely they don't respond to my challenges because my micro-pennies are not worth the response or the accounting. With a channel as large as Rick's, it's possible that his disputes would not be dealt with in the same way. So when I make a video that's going to be a problem, and it's never a surprise as to what is going to be a problem, I rinse clips against the robot, cut and/or have at least a 30 day runway before the video goes live to wait out the dispute.

TLDR - There are ways to work with the Copyright Claim system on YT. Ways that mostly suck and are perhaps even a bit icky feeling, but there are ways. If I'm smart enough to figure it out as an amateur ass-clown, Rick is also smart enough to figure it out as a pro.

meterman

When someone is using pictures, drawings, tables etc which already exists in a specific books then it would be nice that He mentions that. Some are copy paste some are inspired by other guitar methods and music theory books. Fact that He have some university diploma is not an excuse it makes things even worse, when University professors write a book they put bibliography lists. So He knows that very well, at lest in that Conservatory He used some books for sure.

That means ''supernatural powers'', those specific forms and parts from other books didn't drop into his mind from nowhere.
There are pictures He have took from Wikipedia etc.

I've mentioned in a comment before that the professor of classical guitar wrote a comment under his YT video and He acted like a bully.

You obviously perceive Him subjectively due to you were taking lessons in the past from him, it's OK for you to defend him as your teacher but his book, his constant whining about $ is exhausting and annoying for some people.
He makes the drama deliberately in order to get as many viewers as possible, to continue to play a role of ''fighter'' for music education.
The real benefactor and humanitarian goes and buys guitars and amps for the children who have less, and what he does? He sells them a copy paste book for a couple of 10's of dollars.
How many of them have pictures of famous people, actors, musicians, etc. so i don't see any problem if someones names looks to you similar to RB name. It's not a tragedy mate.

I'm sorry if you feel hurt because he taught you, maybe he was different then and maybe he still is a great person in real life but i don't know Him. My comment is based on His books and this drama.

I don't feel hurt lol just bemused and perplexed as to why the guy inspires such animosity. I have my theories.

I didn't see the exchange you're referring to so I can't speak to it. Usually when someone accuses an author of plagiarism they have concrete examples to back it up, otherwise it's just slander which perhaps explains the angry reaction. If it's more that his materials are "inspired by" other materials as you say, that's kind of a stretch. It's like saying a math textbook was "inspired by" another math textbook. Music theory has been common knowledge in the public domain for centuries, it's the individual approach to conveying the same set of concrete facts that is what differs between instructors. And it's a self-published PDF FFS, not an academic publication that requires footnotes and a bibliography.

Bottom line, if you think his book's not worth it don't buy it. If you find him annoying don't watch his videos. Personally I find him entertaining for the most part and extremely knowledgeable on a wide range of topics. The constant personal attacks from his detractors are bizarre and reek of sour grapes. Multiple threads, hundreds of posts bashing the guy for putting music content on YT that many people find valuable. He's like the John Mayer of music teachers lol

Last edited:

meterman

You know what's strange? People that are defending narcissistic parasites. That guy is a whiny bully, he uses his minions to attack critics and he wouldn't even piss on you if you were on fire.

You could make the argument that anyone who seeks an audience has narcississtic tendencies, including most musicians, actors, artists, authors, politicians, etc. But a parasite? For putting hundreds of hours of free content online ranging from production techniques to film scoring to ear training to chops building to advanced theory to in-depth interviews with people like Al Dimeola, Ron Carter, Peter Frampton, Bernard Purdie, Eric Johnson etc? That's just completely irrational.

What his haters seem to miss is that he uses the click bait stuff that some people obviously enjoy to fund the more esoteric stuff that he wants to do. He's said as much. He's learned to work the new media paradigm to make a living doing what he likes and sharing knowledge and insight that other people find useful. Gee what a charlatan. I don't care for the top 10 stuff etc myself but I don't let it turn into some kind of seething animosity and projection lol. Maybe take a break from the net for a bit.

Last edited:

RockDebris

1. There really is no mechanism for getting clearance for copyright in advance. And even if there were, the YT Robo sniffer would still grab it and hold it. There is no system in place for publishers to say "This one guy is okay to use this one song on YT". Even if you know the artist - and in a couple of cases with my own content I did, they generally don't control the publishing and cannot grant you permission to use it.

So true. I had to file a dispute to myself because I used one of my own songs in a video. The "machine" doesn't keep a record of what songs are okay for this one individual to use, it's all based on conflict resolution. And it's generally fine, except that when you go to file a dispute YT gives you some fearful language about how you may lose your account if you lose the dispute, so it does kind of put a possible disaster scenario in your head.

TLDR - There are ways to work with the Copyright Claim system on YT. Ways that mostly suck and are perhaps even a bit icky feeling, but there are ways. If I'm smart enough to figure it out as an amateur ass-clown, Rick is also smart enough to figure it out as a pro.
I think you and I both know that he knows. He's still going to post the infringing video regardless because then he gets to make an occasional video talking about how short-sighted it is, and it rallies his subscribers and earns him a nice chunk of change. I think he's a good guy who sometimes likes to pretend he's getting the shaft sometimes because it's a savvy move, but really he knows these demonetized videos are just the cost of him doing business on YT and he's found another way to monetize them (by complaining about them). Anyone who knows generally what 1,000 views earns (with and without copyright claims) can do the math anytime. He's laughing all the way to the bank. And I can't blame him for that! I envy his success, but I can't hate on him for it.

You know, I actually reached out to him once regarding some mixing and mastering I needed done and he replied (very professionally and quickly!) that he doesn't even do that work anymore and spends his time making videos. The implication was clear. YT videos for him are a lot more lucrative!

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
If Rick had been doing the same thing with music no one had ever heard of he wouldn't have been whacked for it.
He also wouldn’t have 3 million followers. That’s the crux of it all, really. That he analyzes and teaches using beloved and familiar examples, is a big part of the appeal. There isn’t a single concept he teaches that requires him to use these examples, but without those examples, his viewership would drop pretty dramatically.

muzishun

He just needs to quit lying about doing it to help promote the music. He loses all credibility.

He wants to use it to make money. Just be honest about it. He’s doesn’t like a rule that prevents him from making money.

The only way you could interpret that as a lie is if you ASSUME "doing it to promote the music" means that he is, to no benefit of his own, "promoting",...out of the goodness of his heart.

Misinterpretation.

"Promoting the music" IS promoting his business, as his business is the music.

I don't even like the guy on a personal level, but have no issues with him trying to make a living.

Honesty is such a lonely word.

muzishun

It's frustrating how many of y'all just view everything in such black and white terms.

I agree, and with everything. Gotta pick a team I guess.

Either attila the hun or mother theresa, in today's society,... and we will decide your fate!:mob (don't get too comfortable we can change our minds instantly and destroy you!)

Dave Shoop

The only way you could interpret that as a lie is if you ASSUME "doing it to promote the music" means that he is, to no benefit of his own, "promoting",...out of the goodness of his heart.

Misinterpretation.

"Promoting the music" IS promoting his business, as his business is the music.

I don't even like the guy on a personal level, but have no issues with him trying to make a living.

Honesty is such a lonely word.
His motivation is obvious. What motivation does YouTube have other than to protect themselves from being sued because they allow illegal use of others music?

I’m guessing YouTube doesn’t want to unnecessarily find themselves in litigation defending the Ric Beatos of the world so they set up parameters. Beato can do his shows on his own website and fight any legal battles himself. If he is using another businesses platform (is it free for him?) he should follow their rules. Kinda like here maybe?

Who is he blaming YouTube or the courts?

Last edited:

shred-NOT

I enjoy the majority of his work, If/when he's on to something I don't care about, I don't watch, its pretty simple.

I find no reason to hate on him for that or for trying to earn a living on you tube after what 8 years?
seems the 'fashion of disdain' is alive and well in here lol, whatchagunnadoo?

He puts in a lot of work on the videos, the WMTSG series is awesome and what pulled me into his work eventually.

I'd not been playing guitar for years aside from noodling around on an acoustic here and there,....

Then Chris Cornell died, hit me like a train. Rick posted a great cover of Seasons I happened to find later that day. & then a surprise lesson on it the next day after being deluged with requests.
I FINALLY learned that damn song properly in a cpl of days from his tutorial, I remembered struggling years ago to try and find the tuning, & learn it on my own...
One of the best days ever was playing that song perfectly along with Chris here in my own little CC tribute.

Now I'm playing guitar again almost every day & have a wall of guitars and amps all collected in the last 24+ months....

Rick's videos can and do shine a light on music no one is listening to, and can definitely promote it to a new audience. His videos turned me on to alot of older guitar players & their music I never bothered investigating,.. & who doesn't appreciate his interviews with Carlton, May, Purdie, Seal, Sting, Metheny..etc.

Bottom line, I think it's stupid that ANYONE on YT using 15-20 second snips of a familiar melody to teach, demonstrate recording techniques or methods, highlight incredible talent, amazing performances, on these classic recordings etc. is legit target for takedowns.
Many of ricks videos are demonetized & he doesn't go off on every one. He also never plays full songs.
No one is stopping at the WMTSG video to hear 20 seconds of their favorite song.. NO ONE is stopping to watch Beato videos to hear 20sec. of their favorite music and NOT going to the official record co./song video or playing it regularly on spotify..... seems counterproductive and silly.

FWIW,. on another note...I'd literally never even heard of Polyphia before Rick interviewed Tim and now I have tix to their show here in about 8 weeks,..no idea if i'll dig it,..but I love great talent & I'm intrigued by Playing God..

I got tix to Rick's show out here in LA a week before in Aug. as well... no real idea what to expect,..but it should be interesting.

Duffy Pratt

His demonitized video of Odd Time Meter has gotten 357K views. That's decidedly middle of the road for one of his vids.

His rant on that video getting demonitized has gotten 445K views. And people here actually wonder why he complains? He makes more money from complaining than he would if he had gotten paid for the original video. And the rant video takes much less time and effort.

From a business perspective, think of the two of them as a package.

chop chop

I enjoy the majority of his work, If/when he's on to something I don't care about, I don't watch, its pretty simple.

I find no reason to hate on him for that or for trying to earn a living on you tube after what 8 years?
seems the 'fashion of disdain' is alive and well in here lol, whatchagunnadoo?

He puts in a lot of work on the videos, the WMTSG series is awesome and what pulled me into his work eventually.

I'd not been playing guitar for years aside from noodling around on an acoustic here and there,....

Then Chris Cornell died, hit me like a train. Rick posted a great cover of Seasons I happened to find later that day. & then a surprise lesson on it the next day after being deluged with requests.
I FINALLY learned that damn song properly in a cpl of days from his tutorial, I remembered struggling years ago to try and find the tuning, & learn it on my own...
One of the best days ever was playing that song perfectly along with Chris here in my own little CC tribute.

Now I'm playing guitar again almost every day & have a wall of guitars and amps all collected in the last 24+ months....

Rick's videos can and do shine a light on music no one is listening to, and can definitely promote it to a new audience. His videos turned me on to alot of older guitar players & their music I never bothered investigating,.. & who doesn't appreciate his interviews with Carlton, May, Purdie, Seal, Sting, Metheny..etc.

Bottom line, I think it's stupid that ANYONE on YT using 15-20 second snips of a familiar melody to teach, demonstrate recording techniques or methods, highlight incredible talent, amazing performances, on these classic recordings etc. is legit target for takedowns.
Many of ricks videos are demonetized & he doesn't go off on every one. He also never plays full songs.
No one is stopping at the WMTSG video to hear 20 seconds of their favorite song.. NO ONE is stopping to watch Beato videos to hear 20sec. of their favorite music and NOT going to the official record co./song video or playing it regularly on spotify..... seems counterproductive and silly.

FWIW,. on another note...I'd literally never even heard of Polyphia before Rick interviewed Tim and now I have tix to their show here in about 8 weeks,..no idea if i'll dig it,..but I love great talent & I'm intrigued by Playing God..

I got tix to Rick's show out here in LA a week before in Aug. as well... no real idea what to expect,..but it should be interesting.
He has a show? A LIVE show? What does he do at this show?!?

Boxy

He's almost always pissed, it seems. Of course, I'd probably be too if I had to deal with YouTube as much as he has to. The platform seems to be going a weird direction.

I go back and forth on my thoughts about Beato. My opinion of him shifts, like the passing clouds in the sky that he yells at (Simpsons jokes forever). I definitely enjoy his interviews and his insights into music theory, etc. That's about it.

I enjoy him a lot more then "Music is Win", that is for sure.
I like his interviews but,when he rants he sounds like my Dad. Maybe his tinnitus was bugging him that video.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom