Rick Beato is not happy

JuniorG

I'm not sure why he (and apparently most in this thread...and yes I just created an account recently, my opinion is lesser) don't recognize that no matter how "educational" all of his videos are... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM BEGIN AND END WITH AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR HIS PRODUCTS!!!

You can have a two hour long, completely original content, educational video but as soon as you advertise a product it becomes an advertisement...period, full stop. That's why so many legitimate YouTube ADS (the ones that pop up during videos) are doctors, influencers etc just talking for an hour until you skip or click the link to their product page. That's basically Rick's channel only the hyperlinks are in the description.

Beato is a short ways away from just becoming one of those ads in between other videos, the "fair use" shtick is getting tired and old and hearing him cry about it and then dressing up to march into the Supreme Court over a few bucks lost in YouTube revenue is beyond cringeworthy. In all honestly, I'd bet he'd make more money on his product that way, and then he can just use as much copyrighted material as he wants in his YouTube vids. His entire social media presence is DEDICATED to selling his teaching platform.

Either drop the music you don't own or drop your advertisement. Can't have both and claim "fair use".

huglife619

I'm not sure why he (and apparently most in this thread...and yes I just created an account recently, my opinion is lesser) don't recognize that no matter how "educational" all of his videos are... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM BEGIN AND END WITH AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR HIS PRODUCTS!!!

You can have a two hour long, completely original content, educational video but as soon as you advertise a product it becomes an advertisement...period, full stop. That's why so many legitimate YouTube ADS (the ones that pop up during videos) are doctors, influencers etc just talking for an hour until you skip or click the link to their product page. That's basically Rick's channel only the hyperlinks are in the description.

Beato is a short ways away from just becoming one of those ads in between other videos, the "fair use" shtick is getting tired and old and hearing him cry about it and then dressing up to march into the Supreme Court over a few bucks lost in YouTube revenue is beyond cringeworthy. In all honestly, I'd bet he'd make more money on his product that way, and then he can just use as much copyrighted material as he wants in his YouTube vids. His entire social media presence is DEDICATED to selling his teaching platform.

Either drop the music you don't own or drop your advertisement. Can't have both and claim "fair use".
It would be less annoying if his products were better. The Beato Book blows! It’s a bunch of charts that need explanation but have precious little. Uggh!

Would be a lot more relevant if the system were working in a manner that considered that. It, however, does not. Even if he didn't do those spiels and turned off ads the youtube system would still give him the strikes.

BTW it's impossible to turn ads off. You can simply choose to not collect if you are big enough (small channels have no choice).

Also FWIW Rick has apparently won his fair use cases on other videos as best I can tell.

Also even if you have copyright clearance the bots will likely still issue you strikes.

Rick may be a big crybaby and his points may conflict slightly with the reality of his own situation but they're still pretty reasonable in the abstract.

Finally I feel compelled to point out that there's not been very much in this thread arguing he's wrong that hasn't included how much those folks dislike him on what appears to be a personal level. Not sure I'd characterize your post as any different.

LHanson

Meanwhile, fueled by people who have some sort of problem with Rick, his name is mentioned in 40 pages of one of the most read music social media websites.

Music is inspired by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sitting down and analyzing these inspirations is, indeed, instructive. Yes, he makes a buck or two, but he makes more money for the artists he reviews.

All it takes to have a YT channel is a cellphone with a camera. Knock yourselves out.

JuniorG

Would be a lot more relevant if the system were working in a manner that considered that. It, however, does not. Even if he didn't do those spiels and turned off ads the youtube system would still give him the strikes.

BTW it's impossible to turn ads off. You can simply choose to not collect if you are big enough (small channels have no choice).

Also FWIW Rick has apparently won his fair use cases on other videos as best I can tell.

Also even if you have copyright clearance the bots will likely still issue you strikes.

Rick may be a big crybaby and his points may conflict slightly with the reality of his own situation but they're still pretty reasonable in the abstract.

Finally I feel compelled to point out that there's not been very much in this thread arguing he's wrong that hasn't included how much those folks dislike him on what appears to be a personal level. Not sure I'd characterize your post as any different.
I hear that, I can't speak to the content creation portion as I've got a channel of a hearty 11 subscribers (thanks Mom!!!).

Agreed on all points except the last - I actually really like Rick a lot, he's been an invaluable resource to me for years and well before his YouTube channel. But as most things in life go, even someone you love need to hear a harsh reality sometimes (not that I think he'll ever read any of this lol), and the solution is clearly not a simple one... it's just the whining that gets me. Whine all you want, I would do the same...just after 3, 4, 5, 30minute videos on the subject it get's tiring. I just want my guy to live and let live, he isn't gonna fix an entire emerging market (YouTube copyright revenue) by crying to his viewers about it over and over and over again. I'd rather see him "stick it to them" by doing the same lessons but make a song "inspired by" the original... then he can literally say, what makes this song great? Well here, I remade all the best parts of it.

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
I actually really like Rick a lot, he's been an invaluable resource to me for years and well before his YouTube channel...
it's just the whining that gets me...it get's tiring...I just want my guy to live and let live...
This is a fair and reasonable assessment. There are things we don't like about people we like. We can value and respect someone while still acknowledging their shortcomings.
But who wants a nuanced and/or boring thread on TGP?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom