Rick Beato on AC/DC - missed the key point?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WordMan, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:30 AM.

1. WordMan

WordMan Member

I love Rick Beato. I *love* AC/DC, really focused on the Bon years.

Beato has a new video out on what makes AC/DC so good - I will post it below. It is interesting. He focuses on how the rhythm guitar over the drums creates a "3 over 4" syncopated feel, and the use of bass pedal tones (riding the same note) keeps things moving.

That's cool and I get it. But when Malcolm died, I ended up drunk YouTubing late into the night ;) (here's to you, Malcolm!!). I came across this Dutch interview - posted below. About 50 seconds in, listen to Malcolm describing how "AC/DC is a Rock n' Roll band, NOT a Rock band" - it's because AC/DC's rhythm swings. He taps out the difference on his knees, making high hat sounds with his mouth. Straight from the Rhythm Guitarist's mouth!!

THAT's what makes "Acca Dacca" (love those Aussie nicknames; I've also heard "The DC") sound like themselves. The rest of the interview is Malcolm going on about how Phil Rudd, crazy b@stard though he apparently is, is essential to their sound. Yes.

Rick Beato's AC/DC video:

Interviews with Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd (Angus starts, but this bit is about Mal and Phil):

So Rick did well, but in this case, I think Malcolm (and Phil) did it better!! ;) ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM
  2. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

At the risk of being lazy and not linking to a similar post I made elsewhere on this site, I'll repeat it here in condensed form: if you watch Phil Rudd play drums he moves his whole body in a sort of repetitive dance move - this dictates his timing/groove which is amplified/augmented by the band, especially Mal.

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Seen on a drum forum: “Phil Rudd sucks, all he ever plays is a box beat.”

4. WordMan

WordMan Member

Phil Rudd had only one job. A job at which he excelled.

No fills, but man what a groove.

Stratofuzz, jbd3, Dale and 9 others like this.
  5. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

1) In an oft-told tale, Stewart Copeland once did a drum clinic and announced 'Here's something a lot of drummers absolutely cannot do' - and proceeded to play a simple straight rock beat with a steady tempo for 2 full minutes.

2) I ask the sneering drummers to play the same part as Rudd from the live version of 'Let There Be Rock' - let's choose the one from the film of the same name. They would collapse from exhaustion, let the tempo waver randomly and/or be unable to lift their arms above their shoulders after.

Jon C, 5cr33nager, wntbtw and 26 others like this.
  6. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

Rick Beato is smart, insightful, helpful, and seems like a very nice guy.

I can't watch him, though; his approach is antithetical to how I'm made.

Dissecting just ain't my bag, man.

Right on, though, Rick.

7. B Money

B Money Member

I watched that Beato video the other day, and I agree with you to a point. First off, I commend Mr. Beato for putting in the time and effort to create the video, and I'm glad to hear that AC/DC is one of his favorite bands. I must admit I was surprised to hear him say that though, considering that the focus of all his other videos seems to be on appreciating music in a cerebral way rather than a shut-off-your-brain-and-dance way. But I digress....

Of course he is absolutely correct in explaining the technical reasons behind the push and pull of the AC/DC sound, but he completely overlooked the killer swing of Phil Rudd. Did he even mention his name once?
    With all due respect to Chris Slade, when he's behind the kit, the band just doesn't sound as good.

jbd3, Dale, ggwwbb and 9 others like this.
  8. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Malcolm had it right. Phil Rudd is the secret sauce. When he's with the band they have an incredible groove no other band seems to have. It's just a beautiful thing to hear.

I was a big AC/DC fan when I was young. Then I got too cool for AC/DC with all my punk/indie rock ideals, but after I got over my pretentiousness of my youth, I'm back to being a huge fan. Own every record and I just love the band.

drlucky, Stratofuzz, jbd3 and 13 others like this.
  9. cram

cram Member

I don't think Rick would disagree with the sentiment of this thread - I just think he's focused on accents and on where/how they are played through the sections of the tune. To me ; that's the overarching message of his vid. The ANDs on the B&B chorus, the wrap up of the chorus to HWtoHell etc...

yucatown, aynirar27 and stratadp like this.
  10. sws1

sws1 Member

Rick is less concerned with being correct than he is with getting you to watch his videos...which I often do.

jcoriha, B Money and Matt Dillon like this.
  11. WordMan

WordMan Member

I suspect that's true. I guess my point is that those accents propel the groove with their push and pull....but the fundamental groove comes first, and is something that is unique and special about AC/DC, so you gotta start there if you're truly going to grok* AC/DC. So start with the groove - show the swing and the Rudd/Malcolm basic interplay - then show how the accents are like cherries on top of a simple-but-perfect cake.

*sorry, old sci-fi geek coming out. Grok = establish a deep rapport with. Have a complete immersive grasp of.

hookstratton and Baxtercat like this.
  12. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

Cool vid, I liked it because he's teaching his audience how to do what AC/DC did without actually being AC/DC. That can be encouraging to people who think they can't do it. I also like how in his videos there's always some "food for thought" in the sense of a few pieces of information that go over my head but are fun to think about or learn.

13. cram

cram Member

A little marketing secret for generating media ($) - if you omit or make a claim that is off, the reaction will generate buzz ($) and activity in your medium.
    See any, "Top n " lists.

Not that RB is doing that here, but without him discussing the swing (may even be coming in another vid or perhaps disregarded for time), this thread never happens, Marty never travels back in time, his parents never kiss and Biff runs the town.

14. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Rick had a great sound there. Nice work I say.

Traintrack likes this.
  15. WordMan

WordMan Member

Hadn't thought of that. I can see where that would work in some situations. In this case, I would've posted a link if Rick had gotten it right, too!* ;)

When I saw Rick had posted the video, I immediately thought of my own Deep Thoughts (TM) about Rudd and that Dutch interview which cemented them. (Don't listen to me, listen to Malcolm!) So I went in wondering how aligned they would be in pointing out key qualities.

*If Rick had nailed it, I would've posted it just to celebrate how great their groove is!!

Baxtercat likes this.
  16. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

17. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

So, according to Malcolm, rock&roll vs. rock is open vs. closed hi-hat? :dunno

sharbono and SweetClyde99 like this.
  18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I dig Rick's videos but, I think with AC/DC he's overthinking it.
    AC/DC isn't rocket science.

19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

AC/DC doesn't sound right unless it the Young's, Rudd, and Willams together.

20. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Who is this Jeff Beato and why does anyone give a **** what he has to say?

rizla, Alan Dunn, mfranzdorf and 4 others like this.