Rick Beato

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Seegs, May 12, 2019.

1. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

guitarjazz likes this.
  2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Jon C likes this.
  3. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

I help run a music education program here in Nashville. One of my co-workers had a relationship with him via his past as a producer, and we had him Sykpe with our students for an hour once a week. This was a year or so ago. He was very cool to talk with and I learned a lot from him, as did my students. He may not seem like a monster player, but when he was in college, he was very good. There is a video of him playing when he was young, it might have been on his Instagram page. But yeah, I have nothing bad to say about him. Was always cordial and works very hard.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

He's an older guy who is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable about guitar, theory and harmony, and he doesn't act like an ADHD adolescent on speed. Rick is OK by me. I'd like to know where he's from. Does he do any live clinics?

fretless likes this.
  5. muzishun

muzishun Member

:facepalm

Pathetic

bolaman likes this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

This is a common problem on YT vids.
    Especially when you add a guest and chat instead of following an agenda.

Good content is a pain to prep. You need expert knowledge and a good editor. He does very well on selected issues. Space-filler on some.

The song analysis show some great stuff including recording techniques, composing and arrangements, and playing technique and tone. All good.

RB is not a world class guitarist on the GG level but shows his musicality, sound and production talent. Players like GG need RB's.

uab9253 likes this.
  7. MattC

MattC Member

I love his stuff. And man, Rick is quite a good player from what I’ve seen. I don’t comment and all that stuff so no idea what his temperament is like in that regard. Don’t really care.

8. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

I believe he does have some mods in the chat--maybe only sometimes though. Or at least I feel like I've heard him mention that before. 1 or 2 were assistants iirc and possibly some reg users?

Sounds good on paper and all. Anytime you want to get a peek at reality go find some of the unmodded/or even mostly unmodded places on the internet. I'm sure it will disabuse you of the idea quickly--they are some of the most vile places imaginable.

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I read through about half the replies here - and I just gots to say -
    It seems like a lot of TGPers are 'Wound up tighter than the girdle
    of a Baptist minister's wife at an all you can eat pancake breakfast!'.

Seriously - Beato has created a bunch of fun videos that deconstruct
    music, Bands Hit Songs, and Music concepts. He's not trying to hurt
    people - and he certainly doesn't deserve some of the harsh criticisms
    given so freely around here.

So what if you don't like him - does that need to be shared? I would
    suggest those who want to denigrate him - cut their own videos and
    show us your musical chops - so we have something to be positive about.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    R3deemed, fretless, Drew W and 14 others like this.
  10. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I find the breadth of his musical theory knowledge is amazing, his ear is superb and the wealth of information that he has put into the public domain is incredible. What’s not to like? We’re always so quick to criticize these days. I thoroughly enjoy What Makes This Song Great and think he’s spot on most of the time. I don’t think people really appreciate how difficult it is to create videos like those. It makes me sad that most music being made today doesn’t have the care and thought put into it of a musical powerhouse like Rick Beato. Most of what I hear on the radio today sounds like it was made by a 15 year old in their parents’ basement who just got their first drum machine for Christmas.

fretless, Drew W, bolaman and 4 others like this.
  11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Yet if you listen to RB's analysis of modern pop you can see and hear the great care and clever construction used to create it.
    Check out any Max Martin production. You may not mean those but don't trash it all.

willyboy likes this.
  12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I subscribed to him a long time ago, I try to catch all his content. I've learned tons. I cheer a lot of what he thinks and says. I think he's just an incredible asset to the music community for his stances on production, actual musicianship and not having everything on the grid. His "What Makes This Song Great" series is brilliant analysis. His theory knowledge and teaching style fit my learning style, and he's an incredible resource without question on that front.

I met him in person at Winter NAMM 2019 in the lobby of the Hilton, and he was very gracious and polite with me. A pleasure to shake his hand.

I dig him. I dig what he's doing on YouTube.

R3deemed, fretless, bobmc and 16 others like this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Amazed that he has 3/4 mill subscribers.

14. Bluesful

One critiscm that I have is that the sheer volume of videos he's doing sometimes leaves attention to detail in question.

For example in one of his Radiohead videos he gets the year of one of the records wrong and calls A Moon Shaped Pool - A Moon Shaped Pearl.

15. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I disagree with this a lot of times I play along with whatever I’m watching on YouTube from Anderton’s to Rick , to TPS they are all inspiring to play along with.... Hell im always playing... well watching tv, YouTube, listening to music..., that’s how you play a lot and keep it fun ... just keep hands on the instrument. All the time. Don’t set aside Special Guitar time... imo anyway.

Hoth likes this.
  16. Guavadude

Guavadude Member

Rick Beato is a beast and his generosity to pass on the knowledge he has spent a lifetime learning is admirable.
    He's spoon feeding this stuff to people and trying to get complex ideas into bite sized chunks, not an easy task.
    No offense, but if you're not digging it or not getting it, it might be you and not him. There's so much amazing content that he has created that I really think his vids will lift the overall consciousness of musicians over time. Have you seen what his son can do with ear training alone?! Yikes.

Learn what you can from everyone and thank them. They won't be around forever.

fretless, Drew W, Strategy and 14 others like this.
  17. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

I like Rick Beato big time. A No BullSchiit guy. I must admit though that THAT GRIN when he first turns on the camera and peers into it creeps me out at times.

pomfret likes this.
  18. Bluesful

He also has no issue taking people to task who disagree with him in the comments.

Gave one guy the whole "Have you ever had a #1 song?" BS when one guy corrected him on a video.

Mad-kiwi likes this.
  19. Mad-kiwi

Mad-kiwi Member

I liked them/him a lot and mostly still do but I too have read a few comments that he overreacts to a casual comment or a comment that legitmately (but nicely) questions something he says.

I have also asked a question or where he has asked for suggestions given some that have been very polite and friendly but have just disapeared. I wondered at th time if they upset him or if they were ideas he liked and wanted to not have evidence that someone other than him had suggested it for one of his videos.

So that side does put me off a bit.

On the other hand I really enjoy the videos Rhett Shull sput up. I go t to him via Rick.

20. Bluesful

Vertex stuff puts me off.

rickc007 and Washburnmemphis like this.