Rick Beato's recent video on string gauge

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by piloto117, Jan 24, 2020.

1. ivers

ivers Member

The conclusion of the video was in line with what I had experienced when going to lighter strings, and I heard the same in the video that I had noticed already. That doesn't mean I think that this should be the final word about strings, and for clean jazz stuff for instance, I'm personally undecided at the moment.

I can't see much wrong in doing videos like this, even though it's opinionated. I mean, the worst that can happen is probably that more players try out lighter strings for a while, and some of them might find they don't like it, and move back to thicker ones?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Jaguar likes this.
  2. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

:) Yes, half sets .. I only found out with the David Gilmour signature set (GHS boomers). I'm into the Ernie Ball Cobalts .. settled for 10's but the video made me thinking to give 9's a try.

Matteo11 likes this.
  3. Roe

Roe Member

yes, or better still: adjust the bass response of the first gainstage according to your string and bass preferences: Bigger strings work well with amps that roll of bass in the preamp, but lighter strings work well with classical amps that has lots of amp (tweeds, superbass, superpa, blackface and silverface fenders)

4. Roe

Roe Member

5. danipman

danipman Member

I'm glad to see they followed the YouTube Gear Video restriction of testing Guitars and Amps in any key other than A in the first position....................

6. Roe

Roe Member

Actually, a bass heavy signal will lead to a slower response from the amp than a signal with less bass. Try it with a jtm45 for instance.

7. johngregson

johngregson Member

I play quite hard, if I use too light a string gauge my intonation is all over the shop.
    The audience definitely notices then. :)

rochell59 likes this.
  8. Guavadude

Guavadude Member

I’m in no big hurry when I’m playing

ntotoro likes this.
  9. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

No I didn’t watch, it looks like an ad with a clickbait title. I really just don’t believe him. Why would a guy with over a million followers and his buddy feature a product in the video thumbnail for nothing in return? I admittedly have no reason to think he is lying or not divulging information, it’s just my BS detector is going off a little.

10. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

This was the biggest advantage I found moving from 9's to 11's. Everything about my playing improved including (counter intuitively) speed.

Legato execution improved dramatically as the higher action gave me better grip on the strings.

11. Zooey

Zooey Member

I watched it and was kind of puzzled. Sitting in front of my studio monitors (Dynaudio BM6As), I did indeed hear a fuller low end with the larger gauge strings. To me it seemed like the lighter gauges had an absence of harmonics in the low mids, making them sound a bit brighter and more open. If they were trying to make the point that all string gauges have equal amount of low end content, I think the test didn't do that. I can understand preferring the lighter gauges with less harmonic slop for playing with gain, it's a taste thing.

I was also confused by his reminiscences about .08 gauge strings. I'm not as old as he is but I'm also a middle aged dude and it was not a thing when I was growing up. .10s were "lights" or even "extra lights." .11s were labeled "lights" by probably half of all string manufacturers. .09s were a novelty and I don't remember .08s at all. Maybe if I was a bit older and grew up in a bigger city they would have seemed more normal to me.

ntotoro and rochell59 like this.
  12. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

A problematic test to say the least. String gauge should really be determined by your needs for playability and response. .012s meet my needs but would be inappropriate for other players. There are a hundred other ways to address tone (string material/winding, guitar tone settings, pickups, pedals, amps, playing style, etc).

13. spencer096

spencer096 Member

what i wouldnt give for that guy to let a real musician play his demos.

Tiger Ted likes this.
  14. Mark@ToneShield

Mark@ToneShield Gold Supporting Member

The podcast discussion that Rick Beato had with Dave Friedman (ToneTalk podcast) had to do with how string gauge had a major impact when recording electric guitar and how the recording will fit in the mix. The lighter gauge strings have much less tendency to muddy up the lows and low mids which was obvious in Rick's video and I don't think adjusting the pickup heights would have negated the results. Playing the lighter gauge strings by yourself in the bedroom may not be as satisfying as heavy gauge strings but the context of Rick's video was more so for applications such as recording or playing live in a band situation. Dave Friedman's take about how string gauge affects how the amp reacts was very interesting and is well worth a listen.

LCW and Adagietto like this.
  15. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

You should check out some of his videos then. He has a wealth of musical knowledge that he shares freely. He's been a University music prof, a professional signed touring guitarist, a producer with a million seller and now he teaches on YouTube. He sells his music theory books, and Beato swag to generate revenue. That's what he gets in return. Plus whatever his videos net him when they don't get demonetized by starving musicians like U2 and Queen and The Eagles.

Obviously, I'm a fan. Freely admitted. His is one of the best channels out there for musicians of any level that want to learn. He's no shyster.

16. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

I have actually watched some of his videos and he has produced some albums I really like. He definitely is one of the most knowledgeable guys on YouTube. It’s honestly the click bait titles and his demeanor that rub me the wrong way.

oildrops, RhytmEarl and FbIsNotE like this.
  17. trap

trap Supporting Member

Hmmmm. Seems like an incomplete experiment. At this point all it proves is that there are minor differences between gauges when blasting loud rock chords with high gain. Let’s hear clean tones and single note lines.

MartinC and TopDog like this.
  18. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Member

Well, I put some 9.5's on my main guitar that I had laying around. Feel great, have better clarity on the ass end and I detect a more
    even response overall when chording (feel more even tension-wise as well). Very used to my 10's, but the tighter bass, more even sound and easier playability may tempt me to switch. Still think I may prefer 10's for hybrid picking, the added tension helps me.

Patrick

19. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

So what about when lighter gauge on a single coil strat?

They should have had clean test tracks as well.

MartinC, jimijimmyjeffy and trap like this.
  20. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Who's a chump? Beato?