Rick Franklin Boss SD-1 Mod?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Has anyone tried the Rick Franklin Boss SD-1 Mod? How would you compare it to the other mods out there?

2. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

never tried this one, but I have 2 SD-1's with different mods from www.monteallums.com that made the stock pedals sound fantastic.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Have you ever heard of vodkamods? They claim their able to turn the sd-1 into a Fulldrive.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

could you describe the sound?
    How much overall gain does it have?
    How is the midhump?
    How well does it stack or boost?
    does it still loose low end?
    Does it color the sound a lot, and if so, in what way?

5. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Too much vodkamods will turn me into a pukedrive:D

6. royd

royd Member

Melodic Dreamer,

I haven't heard the franklin mods but there are lots of folk doing good things with the SD-1 from turning it into a really good TS to keeping its own voice.

My understanding is that the fulldrive is based on the SD-1 so modding the SD-1 with high quality parts and a few tweaks could essentially make it into a fulldrive without the switches.

I have an SD-1 with the www.monteallums.com mod (professionally done) that I have on the for sale page. You can check out the clips at that web site. Mine is the first mod, not the 808. It is a great pedal but isn't exactly what I was looking for. Drop me a pm if you're interested in mine.

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hmm, I'm just trying to figure out which mod is what I'm looking for. I want to stay away from the whole TS thing as much as possible.

Here is what I'm after.
    1. More Transparent with no mid-hump.
    2. A little more open, not so compressed.
    3. A tad more gain with no loss in the low end.
    Plus true-bypass, duh

What do you guys think?

8. royd

royd Member

I think the first SD-1 mod from Monte Allums may be what you're looking for except it is not true bypass.

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Keeleey 5 star mod is great!!

It's not true bypass but he really improves the bypass making it barely noticable if you notice it at all

10. Old Believer

Old Believer Member

I have the Franklin modded SD-1. He does really good mods. It sounds much better than a stock version. I use it with a Strat.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

12. rewog

rewog Member

Indyguitarist's "Blues" mod is the best I have heard for an SD-1.... for my taste anyway.
    Huge increase in bottom end, more open and a much richer, fuller distortion tone.
    I bought the instructions and did the mod myself.
    I have modified, and bought a number of modded pedals, but this is the most satisfying mod I've tried.

13. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

The Vodka Mods SD-1 sounds great. I've played a few of them, never owned one personally. If you're looking to get a away from the TS sound, it may or not be right for you. If you like the Fulldrive II, you definately can get some TS sounds out of the Vintage setting, so you can also get TS sound out of the Vodka Mods SD-1. Vodka Mods, to my understanding, basically puts the same type of 3-way switch to emulate the comp-cut, vintage, and normal setting of the Fulldrive. I think there are only a few suttle differences between Fulltone's wiring the and wiring of the Boss pedal, probably just some capacitors. I'd say it's as good as a Fulldrive II, just more compact, and you can also get them to wiring in the 808 chip as well so you can switch between a TS-808 and a Fulldrive II, pretty cool. Hell, you can buy a SD-1 at GC for $25 (I have), just take that and send it to Vodka Mods, you'd have a FD2 and a TS-808 for probably under $100 BRAND NEW.

14. EddieEzzborne

EddieEzzborne Member

15. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've got an SD-1 which I modded using the Monte Allums SD-808 plus mod kit and i think the pedal sounds considerably better than the stock version. Theres a lot more volume on tap and it is much less compressed than the stock version AND my TS-9 RI. It has got a bit more gain on tap than i generally need, which is why i've got it for sale in the emporium:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=177645

Overall, a big improvement from stock and a great sounding pedal.

Brian

16. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I think you're looking for the M.I.Audio BLues Pro :rolleyes: