Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

VicAjax

Male Supermodel
I was at 30th St. Guitars today, and they had a pretty standard-looking Kelly Tele ... ash-maple-trussrod ... For sale. The only giveaway other than the decal was the fat, perfect neck profile.

It's going for $2400, if anyone wants it. It plays like a dream, of course.

Oh, and since we're getting reacquainted with the family, here's a quick snap of the Gogocaster:

87C73CD2-0AB3-4218-934E-3461D8AC6FEA-2623-000001D327BD72FA.jpg

That neck looks so sweet Vanguard. I can't remember is that Rosewood or Padauk? Well UPS is handling mine as we speak hopefully with care ha! Should be here by the weekend if not then monday i hope! Long wait is finally nearing its end i cannot wait.

vanguard

That neck looks so sweet Vanguard. I can't remember is that Rosewood or Padauk? Well UPS is handling mine as we speak hopefully with care ha! Should be here by the weekend if not then monday i hope! Long wait is finally nearing its end i cannot wait.

Congrats!

The neck on mine is solid, no-truss, rosewood. Rick found the hunk of wood in the 70's—and said it was already really old at that point.

It actually just got back to me today with new Duncan Antiquity pickups. I'm loving the bridge pickup; it has the clear, low-wind sound I've been searching for.

soulmap

Hey!
good to see y'all here in a new thread - beautiful guitars!

cool! look forward to seeing it. congratulations - it's very likely that you will love it.

new thread, new photos of my pair;

vanguard

Guess it was only a matter of time until FMIC took a stab at Rick's success:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telec...e-telecaster-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-stain/
http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-5499-fender-reclaimed-eastern-pine-telecaster-rw.aspx

This guitar basically has my Kelly's exact specs. You on TGP, Fender?

Fender Reclaimed Eastern Pine Telecaster with Case - 0170115886
Fender’s special edition Reclaimed Eastern Pine Telecaster has a distinctively rustic look and elegant charm, with a body fashioned from reclaimed pine originally used in 1868 in the construction of a dairy barn in the small rural community of Lake Odessa, Mich. The knots, gashes, dings and other anomalies in the wood are left intact and unconcealed, so that no two guitars in this limited-number issue are identical.

Further emphasizing the guitar’s one-of-akind appearance are a dark satin lacquer stain that accentuates the beauty of the body wood, hardware specially treated to appear slightly worn, and a rosewood neck with a hand-rubbed oil finish and comfortable “modern C”-shaped profile.

:mob

Last edited:

Palladio

Soulmap, love the look of those guitars and great photos. Thanks for posting.

Here's another pic to kick off the new thread. My Alder/Maple Kelly Strat and my bulldog Dottie. She always tries to drag me into Rick's shop when we walk by (I live in the neighborhood), because she knows Rick is very generous with his stash of biscuits!

FD11B6AC-7296-4F2D-B03B-1203D9394D4C_zpsxea2sjef.jpg

Palladio the color on that Strat is just stunning. Though i can never remember what its called, i was also wondering if its an original fender color or something Rick chose. Either way its topshelf. Dottie looks like a great little friend and guardian of the Strat hehe.
Is there allure to reclaimed lumber that possibly even holds some historic value. Signs point to yes. What im wondering is.. does that same allure transfer to an instrument that was pooped out the end of a factory line. Not so much for me, and certainly not when it falls in the same price range of someone who put in time with there hands, and more so if i know that person has a passion for what they do. Then i have all the confidence in the world for what the end product will be.

Palladio

I'd say my strat is pretty close to the Firemist gold used by Fender from 1965 on. Before that, Fender offered Shoreline gold, which has more of a silver cast and less bronze. Another color I really like is Inca silver, don't see that very often. It's hard to compare modern colors vs vintage though, because so many of those finishes have changed as they've aged.

joeh77

Guess it was only a matter of time until FMIC took a stab at Rick's success:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telec...e-telecaster-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-stain/
http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-5499-fender-reclaimed-eastern-pine-telecaster-rw.aspx

This guitar basically has my Kelly's exact specs. You on TGP, Fender?

Fender Reclaimed Eastern Pine Telecaster with Case - 0170115886
Fender’s special edition Reclaimed Eastern Pine Telecaster has a distinctively rustic look and elegant charm, with a body fashioned from reclaimed pine originally used in 1868 in the construction of a dairy barn in the small rural community of Lake Odessa, Mich. The knots, gashes, dings and other anomalies in the wood are left intact and unconcealed, so that no two guitars in this limited-number issue are identical.

Further emphasizing the guitar’s one-of-akind appearance are a dark satin lacquer stain that accentuates the beauty of the body wood, hardware specially treated to appear slightly worn, and a rosewood neck with a hand-rubbed oil finish and comfortable “modern C”-shaped profile.

:mob

I did see this the other day and thought the same exact thing!

Joe

plerman

Silver Supporting Member
A GREAT new (well, new to me) Kelly Strat - fantastic guitar. Rick does it again!!

I sent Palladio a PM a while back to ask about the Kelly he was thinking of selling. We discussed my wanting a Kelly strat (he was letting go of one of his teles) and he told me there was a used one in the shop that might come up for sale. A week later Palladio let me know that Rick was told by the orig owner to sell it and, after a quick phone call to Rick, I bought another Kelly!!

My initial impressions in my thank you note to Palladio - "an incredible guitar: round, warm tone (as you said) but strat chime and quack - almost LP-ish but sparkle at the same time".

An unusual strat in some ways: the body wood is 1950's korina, that he got from the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo when they moved to the current site. It was wood left over from Flying V production because of worm holes Rick thinks. He used 80 yr old padauk for the DD non-truss-rod neck and it has three Fralin P90's (in strat config, center pu out of phase).

It is a wonderful guitar. A very even, tight tonal signature IMO. Great sounds at each pickup position - 5 way switch. After it arrived late last week, I called Rick to rave about it and said it was almost like a Les Paul - he agreed. (In many ways korina is similar to mahogany, so that's to be expected I suppose.)

I told Rick I'd let the TGP Kelly fan base know about this beaut. I'm really loving it. Plays great, sounds great, feels great - looks great too - nicely relic'd, from use I believe. See pics. (Palladio was good enough to take the shot of Rick holding it for me - gotta thank him yet again for enabling this purchase.)

I am fortunate to have lucked into three Rick Kelly creations - my orig best ever #1 Chumley/Chelsea found on eBay, Craigslist NY had the older double bound swamp ash/ maple sunburst tele (note "nashville" 3 pu config with 5-way, which is amazing) - I had a clear pickguard made 'cause the finish was so pretty - Pickguardian.com, reasonable $$ and fast. And now this unique korina P90 strat. (With this kind of luck I should be buying lottery tickets <grin>)

Rick Kelly, give him a piece of wood and he'll do something great with it !!

RickwKorinastrat-Woody5-6-14.jpg

KorinafrontIMG_5128-cropped.jpg

KorinabackIMG_5131-cropped.jpg

three-frontIMG_5135.jpg

threebackIMG_5137.jpg

--

Top Bottom