Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

Palladio

Kelly Bowery Pine Round-Up pictures

lnL1HTl.jpg

Love that Round-Up orange! What a cool guitar.

Palladio

BOOM....Exactly the info i was looking for Palladio!

I had a friend over the other night who is a Nashville ringer and loved the way the guitar sounded, wouldn't change a thing. Thing is, Im primarily not a country player. Like a said in a previous post, Im not the quintessential Tele player. However, I love the way Tele's feel and love the Rick Kelly guitar so I want to make it work.

I think the p90 vibe is exactly what Im after. My other guitar is a Gibson 330 with P90s and I love the bridge position on that thing. Funnily enough i got ribbed a bit for dropping a Gibson reference, but the 330's are known for getting "tele" like tones out of the bridge. More midrange "woodyness" and a little less twangy top end is what im ultimately after.

Palladio, Of the pickups you auditioned, which pickups in your opinion would give me that open p90 sound but stay clean a bit longer? I really love Tom Verlaine's tone, especially on his instrumental stuff if you're familiar with any of that stuff. (I know he uses Jazzmasters and Strats....).

Your offer to test out some pickups is very generous, but ill do some internet searching first and take you up on your offer if need be.

Thanks!

Unseen Hand, sorry for the delayed reply. I've been traveling and not on TGP much for the past month.

I can relate to your comments, as my other main guitars are Gibsons with P90's and my Kelly Strat with Fralin P92's. I play mostly rock and alternative and not really anything country, so I don't need a ton of "twang" on the bridge pickup. I like a fuller bodied bridge sound, more like a P90 (think Keith Richards or Black Crowes type of Tele sound). I also dig Tom Verlaine's playing BTW. Can you give me an example of particular track of his you have in mind?

I think any of the bridge pickups I mentioned - Alnico 3 wound to 8-9K, would likely fit the bill. Even though they may have the same measured resistance/output as a P90, they don't tend to break up quite as early as a P90, and have a little less bottom end and slightly more treble. They are also a little clearer and more articulate than a typical P90 if that makes sense (sorry these things are hard to describe without sounding like a cork sniffer). They still sound like a Tele and not a Gibson with P90's, which also has to do with the bridge plate and longer scale as compared to a Gibson of course. I think it will get you closer to the sound you are describing though.

I'd suggest calling Don Mare and telling him what you're after. He should be able to wind you something that will fit the bill.

jl1962

Can anyone share with the current waiting time is for a custom tele? I recall a while ago it was up to 2 years?

Probably best to call the shop.

Or keep your eyes out for the occasional shop guitar or used one that pops up.

The wait is tough, but worth it. It's not like going to Sam Ash.

Very happy w/ my two Kelly's (one I found used, and one Rick built to my specs). Nothing quite like them in terms of historic old wood (read the Wiki page for the Hotel Chelsea) and great artisanal, old world craftsmanship.

Plus - you'll still be playing guitar in a year ;)

RqgLJXY.jpg

jl1962

Love that Round-Up orange! What a cool guitar.

Thanks!

When I picked up the guitar a few weeks ago, there was a friendly dog walker hanging out w/ a smallish dog in the shop.

I had to think back on the pictures of your hound and decided it wasn't you! Apologies if it was. :)

VicAjax

Male Supermodel
Thanks!

When I picked up the guitar a few weeks ago, there was a friendly dog walker hanging out w/ a smallish dog in the shop.

I had to think back on the pictures of your hound and decided it wasn't you! Apologies if it was. :)

I know exactly who you're talking about... he's in the shop a lot, but I can't remember his name, or the dog's, although she's super cute and friendly.

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
Kelly Bowery Pine Round-Up pictures

Finally figured out how to post (hint: ask a 13 year old....)

lnL1HTl.jpg

IMO it looks even better in person. I saw it in a shop little before it was completed.
What a beautiful guitar, play it in a good health!

Jaya

unseen hand

Unseen Hand, sorry for the delayed reply. I've been traveling and not on TGP much for the past month.

I can relate to your comments, as my other main guitars are Gibsons with P90's and my Kelly Strat with Fralin P92's. I play mostly rock and alternative and not really anything country, so I don't need a ton of "twang" on the bridge pickup. I like a fuller bodied bridge sound, more like a P90 (think Keith Richards or Black Crowes type of Tele sound). I also dig Tom Verlaine's playing BTW. Can you give me an example of particular track of his you have in mind?

I think any of the bridge pickups I mentioned - Alnico 3 wound to 8-9K, would likely fit the bill. Even though they may have the same measured resistance/output as a P90, they don't tend to break up quite as early as a P90, and have a little less bottom end and slightly more treble. They are also a little clearer and more articulate than a typical P90 if that makes sense (sorry these things are hard to describe without sounding like a cork sniffer). They still sound like a Tele and not a Gibson with P90's, which also has to do with the bridge plate and longer scale as compared to a Gibson of course. I think it will get you closer to the sound you are describing though.

I'd suggest calling Don Mare and telling him what you're after. He should be able to wind you something that will fit the bill.

Thanks for the all the great info Palladio. Im about 2 months in with this guitar and whoever said Rick Kelly's guitars keep getting better as you play them is absolutely right. The more I play, the more I adjust, the better the tones.

I've really come to appreciate the Don Mare Haymakers although I can't help but think your description of the Alnico 3 wound to 8-9 sounds exactly what I'm after. P-90ish with a little less grind. My backup Tele is an AVRi 52 that sounds dead compared to the tele. The Haymakers are probably the perfect fit for that guitar.

As far as the Verlaine tracks go, my inspiration is his first instrumental album Warm and Cool. To me this is the gold standard of tone. Specific tracks would be Boulevard, Spiritual, Harley Quinn, Little Dance. Basically everything on that record. You're above description sounds very close to what Im hearing. A little more midrange presence, nice body in the bridge, A little hair but still chimey.

If you don't have that record id be glad to send you some links….Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Maggie_O

Silver Supporting Member
Quick and dirty way to get a Tom Verlaine like sound- use lipstick pickups, select the bridge pickup and do all your picking over the end of the neck.

unseen hand

Quick and dirty way to get a Tom Verlaine like sound- use lipstick pickups, select the bridge pickup and do all your picking over the end of the neck.

Thanks for the tip on the lipsticks...

I tend to have a very similar approach. Im generally in the bridge position about 85%. I pick with my fingers usually up by the neck or as close to the bridge as possible.

Verlaines approach to tone and playing just seems "correct" to me.

newgrassboy

Gold Supporting Member
Very cool, looks like a a real twangin' machine. I love the 1950s Gretsch 6120 look, with the orange color and the "RK" brand.

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the all the great info Palladio. Im about 2 months in with this guitar and whoever said Rick Kelly's guitars keep getting better as you play them is absolutely right. The more I play, the more I adjust, the better the tones.

I've really come to appreciate the Don Mare Haymakers although I can't help but think your description of the Alnico 3 wound to 8-9 sounds exactly what I'm after. P-90ish with a little less grind. My backup Tele is an AVRi 52 that sounds dead compared to the tele. The Haymakers are probably the perfect fit for that guitar.

As far as the Verlaine tracks go, my inspiration is his first instrumental album Warm and Cool. To me this is the gold standard of tone. Specific tracks would be Boulevard, Spiritual, Harley Quinn, Little Dance. Basically everything on that record. You're above description sounds very close to what Im hearing. A little more midrange presence, nice body in the bridge, A little hair but still chimey.

If you don't have that record id be glad to send you some links….Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Tom Verlaine instrumental album. I just listened to it. Great music and tones!

vanguard

My Rosewood neck tele is on its way back from Rick. Got a new pine body with matte black "hot rod" finish. Can't wait!

vanguard

Vanguard, Didn't you have the "Rothko" styled body on that rosewood neck?

Yeah. It turned out to be a little too rustic for my tastes—almost like I was playing the side of a pioneer cabin, lol.

The guitar is now in my city, but UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays:bonk

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
^Don't you hate the wait! :) It was certainly a unique and cool looking body....congrats on the new "hot rod" and looking forward to seeing it attached to that killer looking rosewood neck.

vanguard

My Kelly with new body has landed. It's a bit lighter now, and I love the sleek, black look. I imagine the thin nitro will start to wear quickly and make it look even cooler.

The big surprise (and there's always one with a Kelly rustic pine) is a pretty gaping hole in the back of the body. You could stuff a s'more sized marshmallow in it!

Midnight soul mates:

Last edited:

soulmap

I think that is a great color, cool finish that will be fun to watch age -- way beyond pretty.
- that's what I think.
Bet it sounds great

Top Bottom