• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

Longer

Beautiful guitar! The shape reminds me a little of one of Richard Thompson's guitars. (not his Kelly, but a Ferrington, I think)
I've never tried a guitar that had a tele "neck" style pickup in the middle position as well. (although I've seen a couple around) how do you like that middle pickup sound?
Thanks!
Sorry for the delay, I've been off the grid for a bit.

The 2 Tele neck pups are Don Mare S-Teles. He uses a taller Alnico 5 magnet along with a Strat's 42 wire (instead of the 43 wire used for Teles).

Seems the goal was to hit the midpoint between a Strat and Tele neck pup, and that is pretty much what it sounds like. I dig it.
I'd say that it is similar to Fender's "Twisted Tele" pup, but maybe taken a notch or two further.
The middle one sounds sweet by itself, similar to the neck but more direct and clear, with a tighter low end.

The middle and neck together sound similar to a low output Strat in the same position, but it certainly has its own thing going on. It is very clear, brilliant, and "alive", while still having that classic Strat goodness. Seems a bit more focused than a Start too.
Words fail me, but I just freaking love the two together.

I don't use the middle and bridge together much, and I don't do that with a Strat much either.
Instead, I have her wired where I can use the bridge and neck together. It's a very neat version of a Tele's middle position.

leftycajun

Ok, mods to my recently acquired Kelly are complete. I'll post pics tomorrow, but I removed all of the original electronics and that HUGE Schecter bridge. I replaced the pickups with a set of Lollartrons, the bridge with a Mastery hardtail bridge (and I added one of their cool new string trees while I was at it), and used a wiring kit from Emerson. Overall it was a little more of a pain in the @$$ than I expected, but I think it came out pretty well. The wiring kit from Emerson was really nice. Some of the prettiest wiring I've ever seen. Too bad I didn't get a pic of it before I installed it.

Palladio

Platinum Supporting Member
Cindy is now posting pics from Rick's shop on Instagram....but I'm not on Instagram. So for other luddites like me, here's a pic of one of the latest custom designs.

Her work is progressing by leaps and bounds. So cool! How amazing where she is taking the artwork now, from my guitar which I think was the second woodburned pickguard she ever did.

leftycajun

Here are the pics, as promised! It sounds great and plays even better. The pickups are a big improvement over the Armstrongs the guitar came with. Especially with a little gain. Before I could crank my drive pedal and it barely sounded like it was on, now it rocks when I want it to, and cleans up when I need to. I can't say enough good things about the Mastery bridge. This is the 2nd one I've installed and it's just as awesome as the first. They sound great, and it's the easiest setup I've ever done. They make a conventional Tele bridge too, but unfortunately for me they don't make it in lefty yet. The Mastery MST string tree is pretty cool too. Probably not necessary for most people, but I like Mastery and their products so I wanted to check it out. It's basically a mini Mastery saddle. The sticker is a magnolia (State flower of Louisiana). It's from a design shop in my hometown of Lafayette, LA called Parish Ink. A little extra mojo never hurts, right?

aram

Cindy is now posting pics from Rick's shop on Instagram....but I'm not on Instagram. So for other luddites like me, here's a pic of one of the latest custom designs.

Her work is progressing by leaps and bounds. So cool! How amazing where she is taking the artwork now, from my guitar which I think was the second woodburned pickguard she ever did.
That's LOU!

aram

Here are the pics, as promised! It sounds great and plays even better. The pickups are a big improvement over the Armstrongs the guitar came with. Especially with a little gain. Before I could crank my drive pedal and it barely sounded like it was on, now it rocks when I want it to, and cleans up when I need to. I can't say enough good things about the Mastery bridge. This is the 2nd one I've installed and it's just as awesome as the first. They sound great, and it's the easiest setup I've ever done. They make a conventional Tele bridge too, but unfortunately for me they don't make it in lefty yet. The Mastery MST string tree is pretty cool too. Probably not necessary for most people, but I like Mastery and their products so I wanted to check it out. It's basically a mini Mastery saddle. The sticker is a magnolia (State flower of Louisiana). It's from a design shop in my hometown of Lafayette, LA called Parish Ink. A little extra mojo never hurts, right?

man, i'd love to hear how the gretsch pups sound in a tele.

CindyH

Just saying hi guys!
If I can post anything specific that any of you want to see just let me know- trying to get back in the swing of things with the online accounts.
read that some of you are not in Instagram, I've been slacking on here and even my blog with my new schedule. x

Jaya

Silver Supporting Member
Just saying hi guys!
If I can post anything specific that any of you want to see just let me know- trying to get back in the swing of things with the online accounts.
read that some of you are not in Instagram, I've been slacking on here and even my blog with my new schedule. x
Welcome back Cindy!
It would be great if you could post some of work from the shop that's already on Instagram.

Kmaz

I thought he bought matte sheets from AllParts and cut them himself. I have one on my Kelly Tele.

Trending Topics