Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
The only reason tension would be higher is if your scale length is off, which I doubt.
Are you used to playing Gibsons?
Fender scale length is 25.5, as yours should be.
Gibson is 24.75? (As I recall)
PRS is 25.
If your used to Gibson or PRS, a Fender scale length will feel a little stiffer.

Last edited:

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
I have never had any issues and I put a set of 12s on mine for a while. The different gauge did, of course, require a different setup. I tinker with gauges and setups quite a bit. Are you more concerned with tension or action....or both?

If you are curious about tension related to scale, gauge and tuning, here is an easy to use calculator:

http://stringtensionpro.com

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Hmm that's odd, nope no tension probs here, using 10s.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
Could high action have something to do with this (perceived string tension)? I was told Rick likes to set them up that way. My tele also has high action (nut is cut high and saddles have to be at the lowest I can get them).

Last edited:

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
The only reason tension would be higher is if your scale length is off, which I doubt.

Except that's not true. Setup makes a difference, and if the saddles are higher you'll feel it in the strings.

unseen hand

Action could probably be lowered a bit, Im going to give that a try. Its not terrible but things like bending are definitely more a challenge on the Kelly then my other Teles. The timbre of the guitar is off the charts beautiful so i'd like to get the feel just right if possible.

Kmaz

Action could probably be lowered a bit, Im going to give that a try. Its not terrible but things like bending are definitely more a challenge on the Kelly then my other Teles. The timbre of the guitar is off the charts beautiful so i'd like to get the feel just right if possible.

I'm sure you'll notice a tension difference when you bring the action down. Hopefully, you don't encounter any nasty buzzes.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Except that's not true. Setup makes a difference, and if the saddles are higher you'll feel it in the strings.

Your right, I didn't take string hight into consideration.
And using the word "only" is a bad call.
Live and learn. Thanks.

Good luck Unseen, I hope lowering the action helps, let us know.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Also, after more research, I read that a steeper headstock angle will impart slightly increased string tension as compared to a shallower headstock angle.

So while your headstock doesn't have an angle different than a Fender Tele, if your playing a Double D, I would think your tuning posts sit a little lower, therefore your strings would have a steeper angle past the nut than a normal Fender.

That may play a small part as well.

Either way, good luck!

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Also, after more research, I read that a steeper headstock angle will impart slightly increased string tension as compared to a shallower headstock angle.

So while your headstock doesn't have an angle different than a Fender Tele, if your playing a Double D, I would think your tuning posts sit a little lower, therefore your strings would have a steeper angle past the nut than a normal Fender.

That may play a small part as well.

Either way, good luck!

Agree on the headstock angle possibility, but I sort of doubt that the neck size will matter. The face of the headstock is based on the fretboard, not the back of the neck, so a deeper neck won't have a steeper break angle at the nut. It IS possible that the strings have more winds on the post, or that the nut is cut higher. Both of those are very possible and both would matter.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting, with the necks I've had made for me, (someone other than Rick), the headstocks all follow the back, maybe just to make producing them easier?
This is one up against a 70's Strat.

My neck from Rick follows the back, but being a slotted snakehead, it may be different from the norm.

Either way, I've been wrong too many times on this investigation. Time to pull out! :)
Good luck Unseen!

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
So I stopped by today to pick up my '72 LP Custom, which needed a new cap job. I discussed that full bucker idea with Rick, and since I would need a new pickguard if I went that direction, he let me take a peek at some of Cindy's works in progress:

img_9137.jpg

Well, I'm sold. I'll probably be back in the shop next week to drop the Tele off and discuss ideas! Oh yes, click the pic for the bigger hi res pic.

Last edited:

plerman

Silver Supporting Member
So I stopped by today to pick up my '72 LP Custom, which needed a new cap job. I discussed that full bucker idea with Rick, and since I would need a new pickguard if I went that direction, he let me take a peek at some of Cindy's works in progress:

Well, I'm sold. I'll probably back in the shop next week to drop the Tele off and discuss ideas!

GREAT photo, and nice to see a high res image - thanks. Cindy's work is amazing. Keep us posted.

--

vanguard

Hey, Kelly people. Sad news. I'm in Charleston SC, and my dang garage flooded. Gotta gather emergency funds, so if you're interested in my solid rosewood neck, chumley body Kelly, hit me up. Ivory fret dots, matte black finish, DD neck . . . it's killer.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Hate to hear that Vanguard. That guitar is a true sweetie. I hope things get better and back to normal for you quickly.

unseen hand

Hey Peeps….I've been thinking of getting a strat style guitar recently and was wondering what might be comparable to my Bowery Pine Tele in terms of resonance and liveliness?

I love how the Kelly has an almost acoustic quality to it with all the old world woody tones we all love about our Bowerys. The Ronin Mirari really caught my eye but I don't think I have 5k to spend, maybe 2-2.5k max, preferably less if possible. Danocasters? Any strat owners out there?

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Peeps….I've been thinking of getting a strat style guitar recently and was wondering what might be comparable to my Bowery Pine Tele in terms of resonance and liveliness?

I love how the Kelly has an almost acoustic quality to it with all the old world woody tones we all love about our Bowerys. The Ronin Mirari really caught my eye but I don't think I have 5k to spend, maybe 2-2.5k max, preferably less if possible. Danocasters? Any strat owners out there?

I'm sure there are other options, but personally, I would go with a Kelly Strat.
It would be hard to get more similar to your Tele, you know? Plus, it fits your price range.
Or do you just want to try a different builder?

Top Bottom