Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
^Love those loptails and that neck pickup is an ingenious and cool looking design. Have you or Dan ever posted any clips of that neck pickup?

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Just finished a rare 30 minutes of guitar playing... and can't say enough about the joy of playing my kelly tele, such an awesome guitar. Since I know this thread will be around for a while and, I'm certain, there is no rush to hear my playing... o_O I say, in time, I'll record a snippet so you can hear the glory of this guitar in spite of my fingers on the fret board, its a gem.

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
@guitarpedaladdict We will look forward to hearing your Kelly. Around here, we like z picz of z crooked ferrulez and z soundz of z clean or z dirty tonez. Below is some music I recorded over the Christmas/New Year holiday. The first three in this set are the red Kelly with the wicked paisleys and the last one is the white loptail Bulldog with the newly added B Bender. I'm still learning how to navigate that bender. It's been fun.

12strings

I'll post some pics of the skim top I just got. It's awesome - the neck is the best neck I've ever used. It's loaded with Don Mare Hayrides which really are great. I'd like to try a set of Bare Knuckle pickups in it and Klien Nocasters.

dumbeat

VicAjax, glad you liked it. It's always fun to see you at Rick's shop and get to compare and talk guitars.

On the pine strat topic...I was lucky to spend some time this week playing a custom strat Rick recently built for a friend of mine. Chumley's pine body and Padouk trussless neck. The pine pickguard is a Celtic design by Cindy. Pickups are Fralins.

I am considering ordering a Pine Tele with Padouk Neck. From what i read, Padouk is a heavy wood, not unlike Rosewood. So my concern is balance, since the Pine is relatively light weight... Im afraid the guitar would be out of balance with a "neck dive", since the neck might turn out heavier or at least as heavy as the body.

Care to comment on that? Do you remember the balance of that guitar by chance? Also, tone wise, was the guitar dark in tone due to the Padouk, which, again, is from he Rosewood family as far as density/Weight?

I remember George Harrison talking in some interview about his rosewood Tele being forbiddingly heavy...

Thanks for your input, or anyone's input.

unseen hand

I posted a review of my new Eaglecaster in the small luthier forum but thought i'd post the pic here for those who can really appreciate great art….
FullSizeRender-2_zpsgwaq0zuq.jpg

aram

I am considering ordering a Pine Tele with Padouk Neck. From what i read, Padouk is a heavy wood, not unlike Rosewood. So my concern is balance, since the Pine is relatively light weight... Im afraid the guitar would be out of balance with a "neck dive", since the neck might turn out heavier or at least as heavy as the body.

Care to comment on that? Do you remember the balance of that guitar by chance? Also, tone wise, was the guitar dark in tone due to the Padouk, which, again, is from he Rosewood family as far as density/Weight?

I remember George Harrison talking in some interview about his rosewood Tele being forbiddingly heavy...

I know that Bill Frisells Kelly tell has a padouk neck and that he's used it on some recordings, though I'm not sure which one. Though Frisell plays lots of different guitars and always sounds like Frisell.

vanguard

My Kelly Tele has a solid rosewood neck. The neck is somewhat dense feeling, but there is no neck dive. My pine body is super light too.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
My Kelly Tele has a solid rosewood neck. The neck is somewhat dense feeling, but there is no neck dive. My pine body is super light too.

Wow a rosewood neck seems like it would be super yummy!

Can you give us thoughts on how it's different tone wise?

unseen hand

I heartily endorse Charlie Christian pickups! I've got a Tele with the Lollar and a Creston with a Virtual Vintage.

Robert And Jimmy In Medium Amp Metropolis, April 27, 2015
by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Rig Of The Month, May 31, 2014

Killer guitars, especially that Creston. What is that some tele, strat hybrid?

How would you describe the CCs? I imagine they would have a slightly cleaner p90 vibe with a nice emphasis in the mids? Would love to try one in the bridge as well.

Maggie_O

Silver Supporting Member
Killer guitars, especially that Creston. What is that some tele, strat hybrid?

How would you describe the CCs? I imagine they would have a slightly cleaner p90 vibe with a nice emphasis in the mids? Would love to try one in the bridge as well.

Big and clean and kind of woody. Noisy, too.

The Creston has one heck of a story.

It has a 1966 recycled Fender Musicmaster neck (re-fretted, rosewood board, 24 inch scale) on a recycled barnwood body (back is white pine, from a barn built around 1830; the top is spruce, from a barn built in the mid-18th century in what is now Vermont; with a thin maple board holding both). The bridge pickup is a Lollar Vintage T and the neck is the VV CC.

The Flying Dutchman, March 30, 2011

Kmaz

Gents, I have a set of don mare Zepotone studios if anyone is interested in purchasing. They are from my Bowery pine tele and on the back they say RK NYC. Pm me if interested. Thought I'd offer them here first.

Who takes Don Mare pickups out of their Tele? :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom