Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

brianh

Thanks guys. Luckily my wife is supportive and also thinks the guitar is beautiful. Somehow the next couple days is harder than the last many years.

birv2

Beautiful guitar! Was it made to your specs?

I got mine for a birthday present. Love it more every day!

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
Haha!

Can't wait to pick it up. First time I played a Kelly was by accident at a NY Amp Show. Didn't know what it was at the time but instantly felt there was something special about that guitar that stuck with me.

Happy birthday! Congrats, play it in a good health.
I am wondering was it mine you played at the NY Amp Show? I took it there a few years ago, quite a few people were impressed with it.
Cheers,

Jaya

brianh

Thanks and yes! Chumley body, old maple neck, vintage radis, 6105 frets (I think), burned in logo, Fralin Blues, Glendale saddles, RS pots, Russian PIO cap. That's really it.

brianh

Happy birthday! Congrats, play it in a good health.
I am wondering was it mine you played at the NY Amp Show? I took it there a few years ago, quite a few people were impressed with it.
Cheers,

Jaya

Wow! I wonder! Does it have a smallish neck? You were attending the show walking around with it? Think this show was in piscataway. That would be wild if it was yours. If so, I owe it all to you.

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
@brianh Quite possible it was Piscataway. I am not sure about 5-6 years but who knows, time flies ....
My Kelly has small (by his standards) '57ish V neck that is a pure joy to play.

brianh

Wow, really think it was you and your Kelly. Always wondered who you were! I remember how much that guitar really rang out acoustically.

brianh

kelly3.jpg

brianh

Hah, well, my one year old is a terror so I have to put it away whenever I'm not holding it. It is extremely bright plugged in and resonates nicely unplugged. The neck pocket is tight as a glove. I asked for a small 60s C neck and it's on the upper end of that. By the nut it feels wonderful but it's a little thick towards the body so I'm trying to get used to it. My Strat has a modded neck that is pretty thin so this is taking some adjusting. Fretboard edges are nicely rolled and it's really comfortable overall. While it looks rustic, Rick's fretwork and action at the nut is excellent. He sets them up with higher action than I like, so I lowered to about 4/64th at the low E, little lower at the high E. It feels worn in already. I'll take some better pics when I can!

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Rick definitely likes the action set slide-guitar high, haha. Being an acoustic player mainly, I don't mind it, but it's definitely not a slinky setup.

Good impression on the acoustic properties. Kelly guitars really ring out, don't they? I was playing mine unplugged last night and my wife actually told me to turn it down because the kids were sleeping! Whattttt?

paulbearer

Rick will dial the action down to wherever you desire. He initially sets a tele up so you can dig into and muscle it but mine upon pickup were brought to low, fast, fat and buttery. No truss rods and rock stable.

vanguard

That's one of my favorite pics in this whole thread. We need more pictures that capture the je ne sais quoi of Rick Kelly guitars. Mine's currently in Rick's shop having some work done, but I'll definitely snap some pics when it comes home.

brianh

Rick definitely likes the action set slide-guitar high, haha. Being an acoustic player mainly, I don't mind it, but it's definitely not a slinky setup.

Good impression on the acoustic properties. Kelly guitars really ring out, don't they? I was playing mine unplugged last night and my wife actually told me to turn it down because the kids were sleeping! Whattttt?

Yup, even my wife noticed it is louder than my customer shop Fender Strat, which I consider to be a good one.

brianh

That's one of my favorite pics in this whole thread. We need more pictures that capture the je ne sais quoi of Rick Kelly guitars. Mine's currently in Rick's shop having some work done, but I'll definitely snap some pics when it comes home.

Thanks! I've got a couple more neat ones to post later! What is Rick doing to your Kelly?

Top Bottom