Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

paulbearer

That's no 'cute girl'. She's a future luthier legend.
Cindy Hulej. She works with, and four feet from,
Rick. Along with Chris.
She makes incredible, unique guitars, the old school way, using old tools and the key: old NYC wood, especially from Flatbush Brooklyn recently, and is picking up a following, fast. Her setup work is excellent too. Rick is showing her the ropes. Same with Chris on repair work. Their benches yield craftsmanship.

https://www.instagram.com/cindyguitars/ (follow her!)
http://www.cindyguitars.com/
Cindy is https://cindyhulej.wordpress.com/

She has the perspective and soul of someone many years her senior.

Sweet as sugar, tough as nails, detail intensive, scary smart, motivated and *boom* creative.

A few examples of her recent work.... She's ready to make one for you. Talk to her.

IMG_5776.jpg

Cathedral1WithName.jpg

IMG_5720.JPG

Finally, check this one out. Hendrix 1983 a Merman I should turn to be brought to life....
Whaaaat????
(Cindy's build but follow Rick too, on Carmine's account!)
https://www.instagram.com/carminestreetguitars/

Get on her card while you can. The guitars are great, the art is a supreme bonus.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
from Flatbush Brooklyn
I went to elementary school in Flatbush (living at the time in Crown Heights). Here's what passed for humor there in my youth:

Q. What does a woman in a tight bikini and Brooklyn have in common?
A. Flat Bush.

:eek:

BenFrantz

Silver Supporting Member
I have one of Rick's guitars and Cindy did a wood burned pick guard for it. While it did take me sometime to get used to the feeling of a wood guard (as opposed to plastic, etc) it looks fantastic and contributes to the feel of an old wood guitar that Rick and Cindy specialize in. I'd love to work with her on a full body design soon.

unseen hand

Some close up pics. I hope they show Rick's attention to detail despite his guitars often being rustic.

kelly4.jpg

kelly7.jpg

Nail holes:
kelly15.jpg

kelly18.jpg

kelly19.jpg

kelly12.jpg

kelly11.jpg

kelly6.jpg

kelly9.jpg
What a beautiful specimen. That guitar will just get better and better with time. My appreciation for mine just continues to grow

unseen hand

Great to know! It feels and sounds special. What's the body wood on yours?
The body is from Jim Jarmusch's apt and the neck is from the Chelsea Hotel. Its got Don Mare Hayrides which sound really wonderful.

The neck on mine is pretty large but i've really adapted to it, especially when I put in the time and really play it. I have pretty small hands so I was a little shocked for the first few minutes but I don't even think about it now. At first other guitars seemed incredibly small, almost like toys, but now I just play whatever and nothing really bothers me.

After years of not really caring what i was playing, I went a little nuts and went through a lot of guitars the last few years, mostly Fender styles. The two that really stuck out to me was the Kelly Tele and a Danocaster strat style guitar. To be honest, the Kelly is just on another level from everything i've ever played. Definitely not for everyone but a real masterpiece in my opinion. The closest comparison is an old esquire or a late 30's Martin a friend of mine has. I love the old world feel to it, real craftsmanship.

brianh

Very nice! I ordered a small 60s C neck, but it's more of a medium C in my opinion. Very comfortable.

When you visit Rick's shop and see all the hand tools, you appreciate what he does even more.

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
The fourth pic down (Strat) in paulbearer's post #802 is mine.
Everything on there is a major influence from my childhood - paying respect to my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and artists that helped shape who I am. For example - the 207 is the address sign taken from my grandmother's house before it was torn down! It is a personal meditation for me every time I pick that guitar up. I gave Cindy random ideas and she nailed it! Exactly what I was picturing in my mind.

vanguard

Alright, serious stuff here. If you had to choose between fir and maple for neck construction, which way would you go and why?

Last edited:

unseen hand

I agree with Longer.. I have fir on my Tele and feel like it's a pretty big part of the sound. I have a Kelly pine strat with a maple neck and although it's a fantastic guitar I prefer the fir.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Did someone say Cindy? Here are some pics I didn't share yet.

Before, Cindy burning the wood:

image15.jpeg

During - Cindy painting it. Note her signature in the bottom left. When it's done you don't even see it, it blends in:

image16.jpeg

And after. I didn't notice the signature for a week, haha:

image17.jpeg

She does gorgeous work, and whatever lacquer or pickle stain she used is as tough as nails, it hasn't rubbed off yet, compared to some nitro guitars haha!!

brianh

When I was paying for my guitar, Rick commented to Cindy about my signature being really fast and to the point. She lovingly put her head on Rick's shoulder for a moment and they both smiled. It was really a special moment to catch.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom