Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

telecrazy

What a great thread! Love these guitars more and more. So, what`s the "normal" wait time for a Bowery pine tele today? And does anyone here have Rick`s contact info?
Thanks!

brianh

Wait time varies so much. Ive heard everything from 2 years to 5 (for two guitars). I was a little over 4 years but that's longer than most.

Best to stop in his shop or call him. He does email but phone works best.

http://www.kellyguitars.com

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
My last guitar was 11 months, so it's hard to tell.
There are also shop guitars that come out here and there, kind of a grab and go option.

telecrazy

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Hm, couldn`t find an email on his site, maybe I didn`t search good enough.

brianh, 4 years, that`s a long wait man!

I think I`ll keep an eye out for a used one ;)

brianh

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Hm, couldn`t find an email on his site, maybe I didn`t search good enough.

brianh, 4 years, that`s a long wait man!

I think I`ll keep an eye out for a used one ;)

Shoot me a PM if you want his email. Rick is old school so email isn't his preferred method. Getting him on the phone couldn't be easier, though. Either he or his mom answers.

His guitars are worth the wait. I like my Chumleycaster more each day.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Keep an eye out for shop guitars too. They are sometimes cheaper than used, as I've seen people ask crazy money for their RKs.

Kmaz

Nice guitars, but you can't be certain of the wait time when ordering.
Four years? Something definitely went wrong there.

brianh

Nice guitars, but you can't be certain of the wait time when ordering.
Four years? Something definitely went wrong there.

I think he lost the order for some of that time. A member here who is near his shop gave him a reminder. I didn't bother him for a couple years in the middle of the 4 year wait. I possibly could have sped it up if I kept calling, but money was tight so I let fate take its course.

vanguard

I think, at this point, 1.5 years is about average for a Rick Kelly instrument.

I'm actually having my old gal reworked:

Reclaimed pine body in flat black
Reclaimed fir DD no-truss neck
Glendale "raw deal" bridge and hardware
Glendale replica broadcaster steel saddles
Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups @ 5.5k bridge, 6.5k neck

Last edited:

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
I"m right down the street from his shop teaching right now, I think I may have to stop in and converse about picking one up - totally scared. My wife would kill me. Already have two custom builds on deck, but his work just looks so tempting.

Kmaz

I emailed with Rick today. He said aprox 8 months wait time these days.

He told me "eight months" when I ordered nine years ago. As I recall, he mentioned three months as well?

You'll be in for a good wait, but guys seem to understand that going in.

unseen hand

Just keep an eye out for his shop guitars, seems to be a steady steam these days. He posts them on his Facebook page. He had an esquire called The Moth that looked amazing

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, just saw that one, looked incredible!

I checked on it almost two weeks ago, and it was still avail. He was asking 2K. I found another NYC tele that I had been looking for as well, deal I couldn't pass up. So, might have to wait on one of Rick's.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom