Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Just saw this shop guitar from a few months back... pretty unique among the already unique

12472739_10206838754701552_7098658467098092784_n.jpg

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Just got back from my first visit to his shop, lovely guy! Took me on a tour, showed me his new projects, and we discussed a Pinecaster buuld for myself. Just a real down to earth guy who works a ton, makes some amazing guitars - really can't wait to add one to my collection!

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Right on!
I have a road trip in June and will be swinging through NYC. First time there, and I'll only have one day, but Carmine Street is a must.
Can't wait!

unseen hand

Just curious.. We all love our Kellys but what other tele style guitars are you also playing? Are there other tele styled guitars you love as much as your Kelly?

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
For me, the only guitar that competes is a Strat I put together. It's truly a beast and has a 1.25" thick neck.

She doesn't have the dynamic range of my RK Tele / Strat hybrid, but she is the most amazing Strat I ever played.

In fact, now that I'm so turned on to Strats, I had to order a one horned Strat from Rick. No telling when I'll get it, but it's crazy exciting knowing I'll have her one day.

Kmaz

Yes, for sure. I have others that I enjoy just as much. For instance, a couple of CS Fenders, a G&L Legacy and a Tele made by Brian Monty. I find joy in all of them!

vanguard

I have a 2006 Fender Nocaster in addition to my Kelly. Heresy perhaps, but I love the Nocaster and Kelly in equal measure. For classic tele tones, the Nocaster is an absolute monster.

unseen hand

I have a 2006 Fender Nocaster in addition to my Kelly. Heresy perhaps, but I love the Nocaster and Kelly in equal measure. For classic tele tones, the Nocaster is an absolute monster.
I've heard nothing but great things about the Nocasters.

I guess the reason for my question stems from the desire to get something a little more traditional to compliment my Bowery Kelly. The Kelly is a masterpiece and I couldn't imagine ever parting with it but it really feels like it's own thing.

Kmaz

I've heard nothing but great things about the Nocasters.

I guess the reason for my question stems from the desire to get something a little more traditional to compliment my Bowery Kelly. The Kelly is a masterpiece and I couldn't imagine ever parting with it but it really feels like it's own thing.
Agreed.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I posted this in the Artinger thread too- my Kelly Tele is in Vintage Guitar this month! I should have put it in the front row, rats!

fullsizerender-2_edited.jpg

Surfreak

So moving newer orders up over previous older orders is ethical? If you say so.

Placing my order, with my specs that he agreed to, and sending a deposit, should be all that's necessary to get the ball rolling. That's showing all the interest that's necessary. I've dealt with several other top-notch luthiers, and I never had to call, bug, pester, or prod. When my guitar was done, and ON TIME, (3 months for one, 6 months for the other, as promised), the builder notified me that it would now be shipped.
Maybe he needs to "firm up" instead of giving in to those who feel they need to keep pestering him to get their guitar done. By that I mean finishing guitars in the same order that they were placed, no exceptions. That, and stating that it may be a 2 to 5 year wait. That would be a business ethic that I could respect.

I agree with you.

I must however say that, having been one of Rick's acquaintances for 20 years now, the way he does business is different from most other professional small builders, just like his guitars are.

My recommendation for anyone who wants a RK but does not want to put up with a, ehm, non-linear ordering process, is to check from time to time, in person whether any shop model is getting near to completion, and buy it there and then.

You will save yourself the wait time, frustration etc. and go home with a unique guitar.

unseen hand

I agree with you.

I must however say that, having been one of Rick's acquaintances for 20 years now, the way he does business is different from most other professional small builders, just like his guitars are.

My recommendation for anyone who wants a RK but does not want to put up with a, ehm, non-linear ordering process, is to check from time to time, in person whether any shop model is getting near to completion, and buy it there and then.

You will save yourself the wait time, frustration etc. and go home with a unique guitar.
I agree 100%... I acquired two "shop" guitars this way.

In the case of Rick I think it's best to let him do what he does and trust in his instinct/aesthetic. I would have never in a million years have chosen the specs on my Tele but eventually fell in love with the huge neck, rough body etc.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with you.

Ha! "Non-linear ordering process". That's a good one. :) And the bane of all small builders. Those who have a non-linear process cause themselves, their customers, and everyone else a lot of grief.

vanguard

Ha! "Non-linear ordering process". That's a good one. :) And the bane of all small builders. Those who have a non-linear process cause themselves, their customers, and everyone else a lot of grief.

Perhaps, but small builders don't have to do things your way. You don't have to order from them either. If you want a streamlined experience go with a streamlined builder. You can find a bitchin Fender (by Fender) Telecaster in any decent shop in America that will rival any small build. If you want a small shop guitar, you get the small shop experience—whatever that may be.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I think the monthly shop guitars he offers are a good compromise. There is always something available immediately that way, and it may not be a custom order, but it will be a guitar that Rick wanted to make with 100% input being from him- the outcome resulting in a no-brainer winner that way.

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
Looking for used pine S type Kelly guys.
Please let me know if you know of one for sale!
Thanks,
Jaya

Trending Topics

Top Bottom