Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
Just went from maple to bowery pine no truss rod on my bowery pine strat. It is pure magic!
Rick suggested pine and I listened.
You can't go wrong either way, but here is one thing to consider - Rick said maple twists and turns as it grows but pine is as straight as an arrow. It's been very stable.

aram

I have his maple necks on my strat and tele with ash body and a fir neck on my pine tele. They're all great, but if there was a fire, I'd grab the one with the fir neck.

It's DOUBLE D and has always been dead straight, despite many tours and travels.

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
I have a maple neck on my Bowery T, love it big time.
I visit shop frequently and being able to play many fir necks I would choose fir for my next guitar. They are even more resonant IMO and I love raw feel they have.

Question on the fretwire please

I normally play 6105s and understand Rick generally puts 6150s in his builds. While checking the specs page of his website http://www.carminestreetguitars.com/specs.html - it states 6150s are both wider and taller than 6105s - is this a mistake? My understanding is 6105s are taller and 6150s are wilder. http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

With a DD neck being so thick, would 6105s feel too tall? What are your experiences with the two?

Many thanks in advance!

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Question on the fretwire please

I normally play 6105s and understand Rick generally puts 6150s in his builds. While checking the specs page of his website http://www.carminestreetguitars.com/specs.html - it states 6150s are both wider and taller than 6105s - is this a mistake? My understanding is 6105s are taller and 6150s are wilder. http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

With a DD neck being so thick, would 6105s feel too tall? What are your experiences with the two?

Many thanks in advance!

It's hard to ask for opinions when neck and frets are such a personal preference, you know?

Personally, I was surprised how little difference there was between jumbos and medium jumbos when I compared them side by side.
And really, on height, we are talking .01 of an inch... Not very much to worry about.

FWIW, on my current build I requested the DD to be beefed up to 1.25" thick, 1.75 nut, and regular jumbo frets.
To each their own.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
That new one in his window right now is SICK! I had to keep walking straight past Carmine Street yesterday or else I would have walked in and bought it...

paulbearer

True.
Considering these days Guitar Center, et al. charge (and get) "SKU'ed" 51 Relics for $3700 (or more)
It's a steal.
No CNC within miles, every one a one-off. If you're lucky, a musket ball dent will grace yours...
Cindy's work is exquisite too. Her newest Paisley, her Cathedral, and another Moto (sick!) sold in the past couple of weeks. She has a "blackguard" leather topped pine t-style in the window with a nice fat neck too... She countersunk the butterscotch leather face inlay with a shallow top rout. So sweet.

an example of her Mojo line... in offset, but also available in S, T, etc..

4a4edac189d6dfe0253a5ef86b352a36.jpg

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Agreed, Cindy is really pushing ahead with great ideas out of Rick's shop! I must be on the same wavelength, since I just bought a Johnny Marr Jaguar in black. Hmm, maybe in the future a Cindy-designed offset but in Jazzmaster format...

Kmaz

Am I in the minority here who thinks that Rick's charred bodies are a bit much? It's probably some art form that I just don't get.

paulbearer

Haha. Might be the "just don't get" thing and a bit much for you, but entirely a personal preference.
Try one sometime and decide... best way.
Some are torched slightly, but some are from buildings which had fires waaaay back and only now are the beams being excavated.

I, however, am 100% biased -
index.php

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Am I in the minority here who thinks that Rick's charred bodies are a bit much? It's probably some art form that I just don't get.

IDK if your in the minority, but it's really grown on me.
I think it fits the vibe of the wood.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Haha. Might be the "just don't get" thing and a bit much for you, but entirely a personal preference.
Try one sometime and decide... best way.
Some are torched slightly, but some are from buildings which had fires waaaay back and only now are the beams being excavated.

I, however, am 100% biased -
index.php

Love that pic!
Is that the musket ball dent you spoke of?
Anyway to confirm it?
Love that finish btw, outrageous.

lavinci

Its not about the art...
I heard the smoke from the char wood imparts a specific tonal property into the guitar.
drastically changes the playability...
just like smoked Salmon....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom