Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

seby

Perhaps, but it also has a profound effect on electrics. Maybe not so much of one is running through a bunch of pedals etc..

This is a good point. The difference that you notice with woods will depend on how you are playing. If you are bashing out power chords at Defcon 5 level volumes via a stack of pedals, then wood differences might not translate into heard differences all that much. If you are playing fingerstyle and plugging straight into a touch-sensitive 6v6 amp at the edge of breakup, then wood differences might translate into heard differences for you more significantly.

But here is something undeniable. Even with electrics, different woods will _feel_ different, and all I mean by this is that different woods (in both the body and the neck), will differ in their ability to transfer the felt vibration of the strings to the hands and body of the player. In other words, they differ in their ability to transmit tactile feedback to the player via the player's body. This might not be terribly noticeable in front of four Marshall stacks, but it is real. Go to a guitar store and grab a bunch of electrics off the wall and play them sitting down (so that they are resting on your thigh), and unplugged. Some people like a guitar with minimal resonant feedback, others like one that will maximise it. Personally, The more tactile feedback for me, the better. Otherwise I tend to overplay in order to try to get the tactile feedback that I am missing. It is because of this that different woods will affect directly how it is that I touch the strings and how I play the guitar, and how it is that I touch the strings and play the guitar will, obviously, translate immediately into heard differences between guitars with various woods.

skintknuckle

Silver Supporting Member
Seby, good points. ^ The vibration (tactile feedback) of the body and neck is key for me on acoustics and electrics. The wood type, density, moisture content, dimensions, finish, etc., contribute to the sound and tactile feedback....and so does everything else: string gauge, string spacing, scale length, pickups, pickup height adjustment, neck pocket fit, pickguard, neck angle, pots, bridge, saddle type and height, etc. Doing setups illustrates how critical each small setup change and construction detail contributes to the overall feel, sound, intonation, and playability. How much does each component and component setup contribute? I believe it depends on the specific guitar....and the player's preferences. I recently played a guitar that was designed, built and setup (by someone else) so perfectly that I was stunned at the perfection. However, it didn't vibrate. It was very cool and it played easily but it just did not move me. It is someone else's dream machine....

lavinci

I find the NYT's article interesting, in that the researchers believe the wood was treated with minerals...

"First, they found evidence of chemical treatments containing aluminum, calcium, copper and other elements — a practice lost to later generations of violin makers."

what were they doing here?
can anyone find a modern equivalent to this treatment used today?

...the Stradivari violins were the "Heavy Metal" violins of their time...

Last edited:

aram

What strat bridge/ block does Rick put in Eaglecasters? His own or 3rd party parts?

Love my 2 Kelly T's and am now itching for a Eaglecaster. I guess it's fair to say I've caught the Kelly bug - any comments on Eaglecasters welcome!

paulbearer

Rick uses Callaham trem or hardtail on the Eaglecasters. Love my Eaglecaster (Bob Dylan model). You already have the bug, resistance is futile....

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a Strat on order for a while now, in speaking with me he said he likes the Callaham bridge.
I've never played one, but reviews say it's a quality unit.

unseen hand

I LOVE my Eaglecaster. It took a bit to warm up to it but It's become my go to these days.

Mine has the traditional three pickup configuration, pine body and maple neck. I've considered having Rick build me a fir neck for it but for now the maple works.

Mine is a slight departure from the traditional strat sound. To me it's somewhere between a strat and a tele, especially in the bridge. I put flats on it and it really honed the overall tone for me, plenty bright and punchy but focused and woody... My other go to is a Kelly pine tele

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys, hoping someone can help.

A while back I asked Rick about a Rosewood board.
He suggested some Brazilian Cocobolo he had.
Not this one, but from the same log:

Does anyone here have one of Rick's Cocobolo fret boards?
Would love to get your thoughts on it.
Thanks!

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
God, that's gorgeous!

I know, right?
One heck of a suggestion.
Just can't stop thinking about my guitar. Rick said he's soon to start on her, so I'm all jacked up...

Anyway, curious about reports on the Cocobolo board, never played one. I'm assuming it's awesome. :)

lavinci

I have no experience with Cocobolo...

but my only concern beyond the feel of the fretboard, would be, do they neck dive due to weight?
finding a good balance between body weight and neck weight...
so the guitar feels balanced when its on a strap.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Checking in, Still love my 2008 Bowery Tele.
You know how rare it is for a guitar to kill off all GAS for any other contenders for almost a decade, especially in my case? And yet here we are, and no other Tele tempts me like this bird:

img_3464.jpg

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Checking in, Still love my 2008 Bowery Tele.
You know how rare it is for a guitar to kill off all GAS for any other contenders for almost a decade, especially in my case? And yet here we are, and no other Tele tempts me like this bird:

img_3464.jpg
Love that pickguard! Might be the only change I still want to do with my Kelly, one of Cindy's guards.

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member

Trending Topics

Top Bottom