Rick Kelly Guitars: PART IV

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by vanguard, May 3, 2014.

1. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

you’d think if he swapped out the pickups he’d say so, that’s a big swap to leave out. At this point it’s probably worth getting the screwdriver out to confirm if it bugs you.

3. dmentzer

dmentzer Supporting Member

It's been a few years ago that I checked but you are probably right that they said Stock. That must be the guy that bought it from me as he used my description almost verbatim. I would ask him.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the assist! I removed the pick guard and the neck pickup definitely has the white paper marker Fralin attaches, so that's obviously a Fralin. Removing the switch plate, I note that the wiring from both pickups is the typical white/black, although it looks like Kelly added a ground wire soldered to the volume control pot as well, running under the bridge. Soldering to the back of the pots, I think, looks original (although not very well done). I'll move forward that the set is likely a Fralin set, as I don't want to pull the bridge. I usually have 0 problems doing so, it's just that this guitar plays so well that I'm becoming superstitious that mucking about with things is going to knock it out of whack!

5. plexigary

plexigary Supporting Member

unseen hand and Jaya like this.
  6. joeh77

joeh77 Member

7. JP59

JP59 Member

Just ordered the DVD! can't wait also to see it. Saw Rick, Cindy & Mom in October and the shop was packed!

Gig Young likes this.