Rick Kelly guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
The 4 position is wiring both pickups together in series. Here's a description:

http://www.marshallparts.com/products/1542/Tele-Switch-4-Way.htm

I asked Rick about doing something like this and he said he likes em pure 3-way - less busy-ness the better so to speak. I like to keep it simple too and honestly the pickups I chose were humbucking anyhow, heh.

That said, Rick and Robert Quine were good friends so if you'd like your Tele to be wired up just like Robert's, I'm sure Rick could oblige and really get into the details and any possible additional quirks his guitars had.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
The 4-way is a common trick. My Kelly has a 3-way, but I rewired my Nocaster w/ a 4-way. Different strokes.

Maggie_O

Silver Supporting Member
OK, I like things simple, too. I've already got one of Quine's Teles, an MIJ with Rio Grandes, so I've got plenty of Quine mojo in the house as it is.

Three way it is, then!

Thanks, guys!

Jahn

Silver Supporting Member
Just got my Bowery Tele back! The compensated Glendale brass saddles we were waiting for came in and Rick popped them on - I couldn't believe the improvement in tone, everything fattened up, real weighty without losing clarity. It's interesting how they are angled and all are in contact with each other, nifty. Here's a pic!

aram

i have to say, i'm on tour now with my kelly tele, and i just love so much how this guitar sounds.

it really is such a pallet. there's so many different types of sounds you can get from it. it really opens things up incredibly.

bfisher690

Hi All,

I've been a Gear Page lurker but would like to introduce myself. I'm Rick Kelly's nephew-in-law, Brian. A bizarre "title" for sure.

Anyway, I am about to post a few of Rick's guitars for sale in "Buy and Sell". Rick will be doing a few guitars a month that are his bread and butter models: Blackguard teles and 50's-style strats. However, these will be done to the max: Don Mare pickups, 100 year old wood, Glendale bridges, you get the picture. These will not be made for specific people and will be posted here. This will aid in his rent situation and, yes, his regular orders will be filled as per usual. Rick does the same thing, anyway; I'm just posting them here for a bigger audience, not just for those who come to his shop to see what is new...

Anyway, I will not be taking e-mails on these guitars. I'm busy with my own job- sadly, not in the guitar field. If you have questions, please call Rick.

P.S. Rick is even about to sell to teles that were custom made for Lou Reed. They were his main players in the 90's and sport all of his wear. Way cool.

Enjoy!

Brian

HS3

wow, how cool !!
i talked with rick a couple of weeks ago,
and he said my bowery pine would be ready soon.
but, this is great !
thanks

Jahn

Silver Supporting Member
habadajeebida. Looking forward to seeing 'em!

Hi All,

I've been a Gear Page lurker but would like to introduce myself. I'm Rick Kelly's nephew-in-law, Brian. A bizarre "title" for sure.

Anyway, I am about to post a few of Rick's guitars for sale in "Buy and Sell". Rick will be doing a few guitars a month that are his bread and butter models: Blackguard teles and 50's-style strats. However, these will be done to the max: Don Mare pickups, 100 year old wood, Glendale bridges, you get the picture. These will not be made for specific people and will be posted here. This will aid in his rent situation and, yes, his regular orders will be filled as per usual. Rick does the same thing, anyway; I'm just posting them here for a bigger audience, not just for those who come to his shop to see what is new...

Anyway, I will not be taking e-mails on these guitars. I'm busy with my own job- sadly, not in the guitar field. If you have questions, please call Rick.

P.S. Rick is even about to sell to teles that were custom made for Lou Reed. They were his main players in the 90's and sport all of his wear. Way cool.

Enjoy!

Brian

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
habadajeebida. Looking forward to seeing 'em!
+1 to that. Maybe I'll finally have a chance to pick one up... Definitely need to make it a point to check this site more frequently during the day -- especially given how fast these Kelly guitars move on here.

jz63

Is Rick selling the chambered Lou Reed guitar? I played that one and it is a great instrument (as are all of Rick's guitars).

Jahn

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really happy to see that the strat sold instantly for his asking price. His guitars are worth so much more than what he asks for, some day folks are going to realize it!

aram

i played that strat. it was amazing.

simply put, it was the nicest strat i've ever played- it was the only one i've played where i liked the sound in each pickup position.

It was truly a exceptional instrument, a standout even amoung Rick's guitars.

Telecaster

I love my Kelly guitar. It's beautiful.

Rick's shop reminds me of Difaras, the NYC Pizza institution.

He does what he does perfectly. When I got my guitar, I asked him,
"Rick, what's going to make my guitar sound best?"

I then had him build it to those specifications.

Its great.
It also sounds great when played overseas, in places like Amsterdam for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics