Rick Kelly guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telecaster

did you come to the bimhuis gig a couple of weeks ago?

i love playing there!!!

we should have had a coffee!!!! :)
Yes, we (my wife and me) were there. What a great gig that was !
Let me know when you play in the Netherlands (or Belgium) again so that we can have a coffee :BluesBros

jzilla

Just got my Bowery Tele back! The compensated Glendale brass saddles we were waiting for came in and Rick popped them on - I couldn't believe the improvement in tone, everything fattened up, real weighty without losing clarity. It's interesting how they are angled and all are in contact with each other, nifty. Here's a pic!
jahn,
thanks for the link. awesome.

i'm in the 'won't be long now' stage with my bowery and am thinking about getting the glendale bridge. i find the glendale site a little confusing. which bridge plate and saddles did you go with?

thanks again,
-j

aram

Yes, we (my wife and me) were there. What a great gig that was !
Let me know when you play in the Netherlands (or Belgium) again so that we can have a coffee :BluesBros

darn it!!!! you should have come up and said hello!!!!!!

i was having cable issues in the second set. it pissed me off to no avail.

how was the sound out in the audience?

i'd love to play there again sometime soon. it's my favorite club to play in all of europe!

Telecaster

Ok, next time we will :)
I noticed your cable and/or amp-issues but it really didn't affect the performance.
Was it a rental Twin that you were using ? I've been using rental Twins three times and every time I had issues with them so I guess every time it was the same Twin.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
jahn,
thanks for the link. awesome.

i'm in the 'won't be long now' stage with my bowery and am thinking about getting the glendale bridge. i find the glendale site a little confusing. which bridge plate and saddles did you go with?

thanks again,
-j
After consultation with Rick, I went with the Brass Cutting Edge set. Three Brass.

Rick doesn't like the stainless steel tele barrels for his builds (or at least for my build) and I have to say, so far his opinion has translated nicely into this Tele!

jzilla

After consultation with Rick, I went with the Brass Cutting Edge set. Three Brass.

Rick doesn't like the stainless steel tele barrels for his builds (or at least for my build) and I have to say, so far his opinion has translated nicely into this Tele!
nice. and which bridge plate did you go with?
thanks,
-j

Jahn

Silver Supporting Member
nice. and which bridge plate did you go with?
thanks,
-j
Ah, Rick sourced the plate himself, i think someone he knows rolls them? it has Kelly's logo stamped in it, as does the neckplate.

jzilla

Ah, Rick sourced the plate himself, i think someone he knows rolls them? it has Kelly's logo stamped in it, as does the neckplate.
cool. that saves a couple bucks. and you noticed a big difference with the glendale saddles, yes?

-j

aram

was just in rick's shop today.

He was playing a jaguar style guitar that he made for Chris Whitley back in the late 80s early 90s.

Chris's daughter Trixie had carved her name all over it.

It was weird playing a guitar that one of my favorite song writers had played so much.

buickrob

aram, does Carmine St. have Rick's guitars in stock for sale? I called today about a Bowery and was told to email my specs which I did. I think I'd like to grab one of his Blackguard or S style guitars though if there are some premade ready to be sold.

Jahn

Silver Supporting Member
Oh MAN - if I were ever to get a Strat, one like that black Kelly would be first in line!

Rob, he always has something floating around, it never hurts to give him a ring and see what's there.

aram

yeah, I think Rick is making a couple of guitars every month just to sell, as he rent has gone up quite a bit in the past year.

last i checked he had a couple- the strat that was there was AMAZING!!!!! he wanted $2200 for it- it had don mare pups and was just beautiful.

theres also the lou reed tele available, but that's going for $5000.

the custom orders are generally cheaper- i think starting at $1500 now, but it takes a long long time as it's just him making the guitars.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Oh MAN - if I were ever to get a Strat, one like that black Kelly would be first in line!

Rob, he always has something floating around, it never hurts to give him a ring and see what's there.
+1

I bought my blonde/blackguard T off the floor there 5 years ago.

aram

Just got back from the shop.

There's a kelly strat on consignment right now.

It's white with a rosewood board, bird's eye maple and gold hardware.

Used to be robert quine's.

Sounded nice, but it was a little too fancy for my taste.

His mom is helping out at the shop now, so it seems like he's getting more time ot focus on building.

Here's a pic of some future guitars- salvaged wood from a construction site on Carmine Street.

loganv

UPS dropped off this amazing instrument on Tuesday. I don't think I'll ever be able to play another strat again. The resonance of this guitar is unlike any other I've played.

Here are some specs:

Swamp Ash Body(85 years old)
Maple Neck w/rosewood fretboard(100+ years old)
60's Fatback Neck Profile, 9.5 radius, 6105 Jumbo Frets
Callaham Vintage Tuners and Bridge
Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pup's

The picture makes it look a little darker than it actually is

Lammy

last i checked he had a couple- the strat that was there was AMAZING!!!!! he wanted $2200 for it- it had don mare pups and was just beautiful.
Is this the guitar that you went back and ended up buying? hahaha!
We should get lunch and head over to ricks one of these days. I need to bring an old melody maker over there to get put back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics