Rickenbacker 330 - opinions? Thinking about getting one . .

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stbhorn, Jul 16, 2008.

1. stbhorn

stbhorn Member

I've always been curious about these, never played one. I play in a band, mostly clean tones, I play all kinds of different guitars from tele, les pauls, 335, gretsch, jazz boxes. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I have had a Ric 330 & 360 in the past. I just could not get used to their necks. Nice guitars, well built with their own niche. I am sure I will try one again, but right now I am more comfortable playing Gibson.

3. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I bought a new 360 and it did the "Ric Sound" real well. It suffered from a Playskool size neck and tiny fretwire that just wouldn't allow me to play the things I wanted to play. I had it for a year and tried, but just couldn't get along with it.

But I liked the shape so much, I built these guitars pictured below and corrected the several nagging problems Rics suffer from because they refuse to get with the times. I gig these guitars all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

That's nice!
    I'd love to get a Ric 12 string but their neck are just too narrow for my liking.

5. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I think they can sound like nothing else. I have a 350v63 that will prolly have to go because I need a classical guitar. They are beautifully made and used to be a bargain for hand made american with quite elaborate construction. With the pyramids I have on mine through an EL84 amp they make this magnificent glass like roar. Not a lot of output from the toasters and the neck is small and not for fat fingers. The 350 is deep like a round tele neck but narrow from the nut all the way up. The 330/60 are shallow like 80's era pointy guitars. Mine is rock solid and never goes out of tune, the same cant be said of my R8. Yes the necks are different but it makes me play differently which is part of the appeal.

6. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have 2 360's and a 75th Anniversary (which is being sold tonight). Although many like the 330, the 360 has a different feel and to me, is more complete. Sound is great. There's nothing I can't play on them. Somewhat noisy pickups in a buzz/hum by lights kind of way, but nothing that gets in the way of the music. Both solid as rocks (360 and 360/12 which plays so well I do shred type leads and even bend strings on.).

7. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I have a 330 in blueburst. It's a great guitar for certain things, it's easy with power chords, low action, nice sounding pups but like others said it does have a smaller neck then most. If you're looking for something different then a Ric might be your answer but I wouldn't use it as my only guitar, it's more or less for special occasions I guess you might say.

8. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Well put.

Just don't buy one without playing it first!

9. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

I am so tired of this "RIC has small necks" thing I can't tell you. It is an urban legend. 330 and 360 necks are the same size as all other guitars out there.
    Don't believe otherwise.

As far as which one to get, I'm a 360 type of guy so I am biased. I think it is one of the most perfect looking (and sounding) guitars on the planet. YMMV.

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  10. Seditious

Seditious Member

I have a 370/6 and a 360/12. I've never had a 330 though. I've never understood the complaints about Ric's. I own/have owned some incredible guitars (Strat's, Tele's, Les Paul's, PRS's, even a Suhr), and my 370 blows them all out of the water in sound. Sure some of the others are easier to play, but I've never had a problem playing anything on the Ric's. The problem I have now is that I'm so spoiled, other guitars sound sterile and lifeless in comparison.

11. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

The necks are just shaped like no guitar I've felt before. They seem deeper and the strings closer together, if that makes any sense. Definitely not "small".

When I think "small", I think Jaguar-style necks which are more 'thin'..and the scale shorter...hmmm

12. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

The neck on most ric's are about 1 11/16". This is the same for several Gibson's as well but the difference is the string spacing, rics string spacing is much more narrow then most guitars.

13. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Well, it seems some people have trouble reading a ruler. My 360 was 1 9/16" wide at the nut. I don't know of any other guitars out there using a neck that skinny at the nut and with such a narrow string spacing. I guess their Rics are like Trix. And Trix for Kids!:roll OK, I'm old enough to remember that commercial.

Hey, the thread title reads, "Rickenbacker 330 - opinions? Thinking about getting one . ."

Some of us are of the opinion that Rics have skinny necks.

14. starjag

starjag Member

I played a 330/6 earlier this month and liked it. I am saving some dough so I can get it soon.

15. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Well, a little investigation and conversion shows:

From the Ric site: Model 330: 1.63'' at nut, 1 .931" at 12th fret.

From Fender: AVRI 52 Telecaster and 57 Strat: 1.65" at nut, they don't list 12th fret, I measured it at about 2".

From Gibson: 1959 Les Paul Historic Reissue: 1.68" at nut, don't list 12th.

16. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i bought a 330 on a whim 'cause it was a deal i couldn't pass up. while i thought it sounded great, i just couldn't get used to the laminated fingerboard. also, i felt the string to string spacing was closer together than my other guitars. just couldn't get used to it. i'm sure if i'd spent more time with it, i'd learn its nuances but i ended up trading it for a gretsch and haven't looked back....

nothing quite sounds or looks like a Ric. one day i'd like to try one again and really spend some time with it...

17. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I spent a year with mine and just couldn't love it. Skinny neck, tiny fretwire, more knobs than a PA board, archaic ergonomics. Why does something so beautiful have to be so non-functional?

18. losvarmits

losvarmits Member

Ok..Ricks have a sound that no other guitar has..between the p/u's and the guitars design they have one of the most signature tones on earth...having owned 6 Ricks over the past 19 years I've had lots of experience playing them and most importantly I made them play like my Gibson's & Fenders....1st thing I've done on all of my Ric's is refret w/ 6105...the 1st few I did the oldschool way and strippped the finish from the fingerboard...later I just refretted over the existing finish with no issue...next I put bone nuts on all of them...on my 6 strings I put Nashville tune o matic bridge's on...the results have been the same on all...more ring,better intonation & sustain...new Ricks are great too..get one and don't look back...if you can get one w/toasters made after 1998...those are the correct lower resistance p/u's...they really allow the hollow body tone to shine thru..which in my opinion is why you'd play a guitar like a Rick.

19. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

You could be describing my '66 330---it can (almost) do it all: jazz, country, alt-pop, rock, or whatever. AND it positively ROARS through a VibroKing or Club Royale (or both, bi-amped) w/ GREAT controllable feedback (maybe that's why Ian Mckay stuck w/ his)!

20. Doodad

Doodad Member

I prefer the solid bodies to the hollows. I loved my 620 and it was my every day guitar. Has a sound like nothing else I have played.