Rickenbacker 330 Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by themusicboxstudios, Nov 30, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, i love the feel of my rickenbacker 330, but it's just not jiving with my current rig (in my signature). I was hoping to get either a brighter telecaster tone, or a nice les paul/ les paul special tone out of it.

any recs for trying new pickups? will p-90's or mini humbuckers fit in it?

thanks,jon

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

If your Ric has the modern high gain black button type of pickups, I would try the vintage toaster style Rics. The toasters have a brighter sound with less mids.

3. themusicboxstudios

are they going to be less hot? i think thats one of the problems i have with my "high-gain" pickups right now, they don't push my amp as hard as my tele!

anyone else? i think it would sound cool with some nice bright humbuckers. (if thats possible)

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I personally would think it a travesty to touch a Rickenbacker with Gibson HBs . . . ouch, sacreligious for sure . . .

If you're gonna play a Rick then get the sound of one with toasters . . . I think that some of the old ones can get quite hot, or if you need them boosted just get a boost pedal . . .

But of course its your guitar . . . so what if i'd cry at the sight of it . . .

You could also try boosting your pots up to 500k, or if they allready are there maybe up to 1M

5. themusicboxstudios

i wouldn't route anything differently about the guitar. If i can't be returned to stock, i won't do it, and i'll just a head and try the toasters.

thanks, jon

6. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I don't really know much about it . . . I haven't played a Rick since the 80s, but if memory serves me right I think that Rick Pups are thinner and kinda sit on the surface some . . . . hm?!

7. propska

propska Member

I just put in a toaster in my 620 neck. Compared to the hi gains, the toaster definately has less in the mids and is overall smoother. since it has lower output, it would say it is closer to the tele sound, but rick pickups really are their own thing. Another suggestion is to try out the rick humbuckers. I hear they sound pretty good, but I haven't tried them myself.

8. themusicboxstudios

has anyone else had experience with the rick humbuckers?

anyone know if i can use other pickups (mini humbuckers or p-90's)?

9. Seditious

Seditious Member

I've had a Ric with "Hi-gains" and my current Ric has "toasters". I've also tried the Ric humbucker. My advice: Get a different guitar. You'll never get a Tele or Les Paul sound out of a Ric.

10. themusicboxstudios

can you please tell me the differences between the pickups?

thanks, jon