Rickenbacker 620-12 Controls Mod

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aoresteen, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Aoresteen

Aoresteen Member

I love my 620-12 Mapleglo w/black hardware. It's a 1989 that I've owned since Jan 2000.

[​IMG]

One thing that I have never been comfortable with are the separate vol/tone & blend controls. Over the last 6 years I've migrated to guitars that have a single vol and a single tone control for multiple pickups. I find it much easier to control the guitar when playing live to just have one vol that controls all the pickups. Most of my Strats have only two controls. I decided to simplify my 620-12 controls.

I pulled the lower pick guard and sent it to Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian.

http://www.pickguardian.com/

He made a copy with holes for one vol, one tone, and the pickup switch. They do fantastic work - highly recommended!

I used a typical wiring scheme like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

It was quite easy to do. Here's the underside of the pick guard:

[​IMG]

With the extra space I was able to orient the pickup switch so that it travels left to right (not up and down) which I find more logical - put the switch left toward the neck and the neck pickup is selected. Push it right toward the bridge and the bridge pickup is selected. Of course in the middle both are selected.

[​IMG]

Detail:

[​IMG]

Note that stereo output is not possible with a single set of controls. Since I never use stereo that was not an issue for me.

This mod is fully reversible. I have the original bottom pick guard and the other pots, cap, & knobs safely stored away.

I'm in the process of doing this to my 650D Dakota guitar as well. For me, it makes sense and makes playing my Ricks a lot more enjoyable.

2. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Toaster pickups make my Ricks more toneful, especially the twelve string.

jakefmvermont likes this.
  3. Aoresteen

Aoresteen Member

I'm considering swapping the Higains for Toasters but at $150 a pop new, Toasters ain't cheap :(

4. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I like hi-gains. :hide2

5. Aoresteen

Aoresteen Member

I also might keep the high gain in the bridge and put a toaster at the neck. The issue is I can't seem to find a black toaster to match my black hardware & the black hi-gains.

6. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Good mod. Simpler is better, esp. on stage.

I have just two controls working on most of my 4-knob Gibson type gtrs. too.
    I'm too used to Teles I suppose.

7. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

And that's cool.

Doesn't sound like a Rick.

8. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

I have a 330-6 with toasters and a 620-12 with hi gains...I just swapped them. I will miss the toasters in the 6...but they sound heavenly in the 12!

9. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Did anyone ask?