Rickenbacker Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gpecoulas, Jan 26, 2012.

1. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

What kind of music are Rickenbacker guitars most suited for? Are they more for jangly rhythm work , or are they good for rock or blues lead too? In other words , what's their thing?

2. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Depending on the model and pickup configuration, you can play anything you want with them. They have a reputation for being strictly for jangly rhythm work, but they have a lot more to offer than that. If you play heavier music, a 650 series solidbody is probably the most suitable. For most melodic rock, the standard 330 or 360 with Hi-Gain pickups would work very well. If you're after that Beatles tone, the vintage series guitars equipped with Toaster pickups is what you would want. I would suggest trying out as many Rickenbackers as you can, but they are very hard to find. More than likely, you will have to order one online from a place with a return policy. I have played Rickenbackers for 20 years and I have yet to find a genre of music that I can't play with them. I have a 360 that is my main guitar and I play lead on it all the time. One thing about Ricks is that the string spacing on most models is a little on the narrow side and the necks are slim, so if you're used to the chunky necks on a Fender or Gibson, they will take some getting used to. Once you get used to them, the sky's the limit.

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Have you ever re-cut the nut slots to make the string spacing wider? I've been thinking about doing that with one of my 330's. I'd probably play it more if it were closer to my other guitars.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

:agree

5. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

My 360/12 loves compression and overdrive.

6. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

Buddy Sam Carreras told me emphaticially to continue using my Ric 660 I traded for from A TGP Member. The 660 is acoustically highs and lows, slim on mids; the highs are not bright. The acoustic property or timbre is buttery and compressed. The Pickups are bright but not harsh. I "got" a good Gibson and Tele sound out of the guitar sitting in with Sam's Blues Band, the Blues Hounds (Redlands, CA). He told me to bring it again. He thought it was my best sound for blues. It is not Miderangey in the least. Through my 71 PARK amp or my AC15 (year 1961) with Fulldrive II or JMI Ronson fuzz, it will do the EJ violin tone quite well.

I do believe the 360 and 330 are more midrangey, but still are moderately versatile, depending on the technique of the player and the other elements in the rig.

Keep on pickin',

will richardson

7. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

The high gains sound quite a bit different than the toasters on my Ricks. They make a humbucker, too.

8. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Yeah, the 650 series comes standard with the HB-1 humbuckers. They used to be an option on the 330 and 360 but for some reason Rickenbacker discontinued it. I have toyed with the idea of putting the HB-1s in my 360, but I like the sound of the Hi-Gains so much that I really don't want to mess with it.

As for your question about altering the string spacing, I have heard of people doing that, but honestly, the neck is narrow to begin with, so you really won't gain much by altering it. I have always wished that Rickenbacker would offer the wide 650 or 660 neck on the 330 and 360. I have no problem playing on the slim necks, but they're definitely an acquired taste.

9. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

there isn't anything i've tried to play on my Ric 330 that it hasn't succeeded at. it doesn't jangle, but then, i don't use a compressor.

10. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I have a 620. I always assumed it was a one-trick pony and that the string spacing would bug me playing live (versus my usual bedroom noodling), but I recently starting playing some covers with some friends and was surprised at 1) how much more comfortable than my other guitars and 2) how versatile it is tone wise - absolutely covered every bit of the range of my Tele and a bit more. The high gain pickups are a conundrum - they sound kind of like P-90s, but have way lower output and can get the classic Ric jangle, too. This recent experience has really made me a convert to Rics as a go-to guitar for just about anything (maybe not death metal).

11. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

Are the Ric 3 and 6 series hollow bodies or semi-hollow ? Do they feedback easily? Do they make a solid body?

12. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

For those who think Rics are only for jangly pop......observe.....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  13. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

I like your video better tho.

14. BKL71

BKL71 Member

The 330 and 360 as well as the rest of the 300 series guitars are semi-hollow. They are made differently than most, though. On a Gibson ES-335, the top, back and sides are separate pieces. On the Ricks, a solid block is actually hollowed out and the top is attached to that. I have never had problems with them feeding back easily, but I also use Hi-Gains. I have heard the Toaster pickups can get noisy at higher volumes. The entire 600 series, including the 650 and 660 models I mentioned are solid-bodies. My first Rickenbacker guitar was a 620, and it served me well. I should have kept it! I have also owned a 650 and it was a nice guitar as well.

15. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

SRV played a ric for a bit. Too lazy to look it up.

16. BKL71

BKL71 Member

By the way, I forgot to mention that the neck width and string spacing on a 650 are more conventional, like what you would find on a Fender or Gibson. The discontinued 380 Laguna had a 360-style body mated to a 650-style neck, complete with HB-1 humbuckers and some even had a piezo unit for acoustic sounds. A lot of players who are used to the wider necks and string spacings of most other guitars are usually most comfortable with a 650 or 380. I just thought I would throw that in there.

17. Chadley

Chadley Member

I am constantly amazed at how versatile my 360/6 w/hi gains is. It can jangle (not quite like toasters) and can completely rock too. I don't like playing the blues on a ricky though. It's not the string spacing but the super flat frets. It's hard to get under them and bend. But I like that fact that all of my guitars lend themselves to different tones and different playing styles. Keeps things fresh.

18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Thank you for posting this! I never knew...

19. futureperfect2

futureperfect2 Member

20. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member