Rickenbacker help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 52ftbuddha, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I have played 330, 360, and now 350. I like the size and setup of the 350 but was unable to get it to jangle like the other two with the newer pickups. Will the 350 do the classic jangle with the toasters or do I need the 330/60 for the Paul Weller/Jam sound? Thanks for any help.
    Rob

2. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

What amp are you using?

Weller used both Toasters and Hi-Gains on his 330's, but predominantly Hi-Gains. If that is the sound you are after then you should go for a 330. The 325/350 family will get you closer than the 400/600 series, but it will always be a bit 'off'. Not bad, just not what you want to hear.

3. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

For this I am using a Z Maz38 with an open back cab with a 55hz weber ceramic and a Red Fang. Thanks for your help.
    Rob

4. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

A 330 and you're good to go.

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

Heck just change the pups if that is what you want. I have a 620 with the hi gains and think it has all that sound, but I am not well versed on the 300 series.

6. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

620 is closer to being a "junior" sound, but one trick I have learned on higher gain pickups that I have gotten on solid body rockin' guitars was to let the pickups down and it lets a more jangley sound come through , if the guy at the music store is serious about selling then he will let you do that since it will only take 3 minutes and that includes the 2 minutes to find the screwdriver , This way you might have both guitars, when you feel like you dont want the jangle for a while play with pickups. Or have this until you can buy the other guitar

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ear, the Ric toaster style pickups have much more jangle than the Ric high gains. I've played both on a 350, 360 & 370 6 & 12 strings and prefer the toasters, especially with a Ric 12 string. I currently have a Ric 370/12VP and just love that sound.

8. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I had heard the low impedence toasters were better for the classic Ric Jangle as were pyramid strings. I had heard pickup to string distance was a factor. I think I need to go back and try the 350 again, I am starting to suspect that it is the 350/330 difference more than the toaster vs High gain.
    Rob

9. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Toasters definitely have more jangle (lower output) than the Hi-Gains (more saturation, less string definition). Weller's tone in The Jam was much more 'crunch' than 'jangle'. The 330 w/Hi-Gains will get you there better than a 350. Both guitars are semi-hollow, but the larger 330 takes a bit of the edge of the Hi-Gains. It can be done with Toaster, but it would help to have an EQ & overdrive stompbox to dial in Weller's Jam era tone.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

While we're on the topic...I recently picked up a 1997 model (RM reissue, think Townsend). Cool guitar, has a feel that I have not found in other Rics. But I can't seem to get the neck pickup to raise enough to match the output of the bridge (the sound level of which seems right). Any thoughts?
    Greg

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Toasters also have a rounder tone & less sustain which are required for that old vibe *jangle* tones. But the most important jangle enhancer is a good compressor. Hollow chambers definitely jangle but that Rick 330/360 body shape epitomizes janglenees. They are awesome guitars and the skinny neck whiners with those clubbed fingers obviously will never have a career playing banjo or mandolin. :dude

12. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

For Jangle you want the Toaster pups. I use the Pyramid strings, too, because I think they do make a subtle difference.