Rickenbacker toaster pickup in a tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dioxic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Has anybody tried this? It seems like such an obvious combination, but I've never seen anybody do it before...

2. nlatham19

nlatham19 Member

Banning Guitars makes a Rick-Tele hybrid.

3. halbert

halbert Member

This would be more of a project than it would seem. Rickenbacker pickups are surface-mount and have a much taller profile than what would fit on a normal tele or Fender type guitar.
    The Tele-Rick hybrid mentioned is more Rickenbacker-like than tele-like in the way it is constructed. If you had a Gretsch, you would have a better chance of making it work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

You could mount it to the body like an original Tele neck pickup or P90 and just have the Pickguard routed for the pickup only, not height adjustment screws. In this case, the Pickguard becomes only cosmetic and can be removed easily to adjust neck pickup height.

5. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

This is exactly what I was planning to do.

In all honesty I’m not too concerned with staying true to the vintage rick toaster specs as I’m not sure if they’ll even get me what I’m looking for.

I’d like to get a nice clean and bell like tone, but also be able to roll it off and get a nice round and warm jazz tone. I’d also like it to maintain the clarity and dynamic response that’s typical of single coils.

People have been putting Charlie Christians and Goldfoils in telecasters getting some good results and the rick pickup is similarly typically low output and a single coil.

6. Michael_B

Michael_B Supporting Member

Sounds like a great project. Keep us updated.

7. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Will do! I'm split between getting a rickenbacker toaster direct or having one custom wound for me maybe slightly off spec. After I decide I'll let you guys know.

8. TheoDog

The Charlie Christian pickup might not give you the zing you are looking for. I have seen a few teles, or maybe one, posted here recently with that setup.
    A filter'tron of some sort might be what you are looking for- especially since you get 2 coils with adjustable poles. I tend to leave one coil's poles rather low and the outside coil closer to the strings to more or less match the fretboard radius. I am toying with the idea of a TV Jones Power'Tron in my Squier VM Tele neck position. But right now it has a stock Jazzmaster pickup that I really like and is unique enough to not venture away from yet.
    The next step is finding a good bridge pickup to pair with the specialty choice in terms of output.

9. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

"Zing" isn't necessarily what I'm looking for. I actually like the sound of Charlie Christian's in teles. I'm more in the Jazz, R&B, etc. camp when it comes to telecasters as opposed to the country twang thing.

I didn't bring it up because I was considering it, but because it's similar to a toaster in the sense that it's an older design single coil that has been given a second life by being repurposed as a telecaster pickup. Same for the gold foils.

10. TheoDog

I misunderstood your "clean bell-like" description.
    Come to think of it, that is what I am getting with the Jazz Master in the VM Tele I have. To go one step beyond, Curtis Novak is the go to builder for offset pickups.
    The warm jazzy roll off can best be fine tuned with tone cap value choice.

11. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

That's the problem in speaking in abstracts! One man's bell tone is another man's zing! :eek:

Hmm okay that's something for me to consider.

Maybe if if the toaster ends up too bright I could try a .047 cap to make it more "jazz"