Rickenbacker vs. Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I'm torn. I have a nice Rickenbacker 620/6 that is a really nice sounding and well built guitar. The problem is, I hardly ever use it. My main guitar is a Les Paul Standard and that seems to be my signature sound at this moment.

Because the Les Paul is my main guitar, I would like to get something similar to use as a backup at gigs. I also have a Strat but I want to keep that pretty much stock for a few songs we do.

Do you think it is worth getting rid of the Rick to get another Gibson? I really have my eyes set on a Firebird V. Anybody had any problems/gripes with those beauties?

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think you answered your own question you just want a little assurance. I've owned alot of guitars over the years but never a Rick. I just don't like them. Gimmie a tele when I want to jangle. :AOK

Firebirds are a bit neck heavy.......they do not play that great but I never heard one that didn't sound cool. Like a FAT strat almost. Watch that headstock when you play out!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Selll it. The longer it sits the easier it is to unload. If you have space and money, keep it. But I think you know what must be done, son.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cheers guys,

I really wanted to like the Ric, but I can't find any use for it. I think another humbucker guitar, with a bit of a different flavour, could come in more handy. One thing I can't stand on a gig is changing settings on amps and pedals to suit different guitars.

BTW, are the pickups any good on the new Firebirds? Have they always been similar in build design, ceramic etc.?

5. Grap

Grap Member

The Firebird V is a great souding guitar stock. I've had one since '99 and the only reason it doesn't get used more than it does is that it's a bitch to transport. That huge hardshell case doesn't fit in the boot of my car, and it's a bit fragile to take everywhere in a gig bag (a bass guitar gig bag fits it fine so long as you put it in upside-down). I had a problem with mine at first because the pickup selector switch kept springing into the middle position, but I eventually figured out how to bend the spring contacts so that it works correctly.

Oh yeah, and expect a bruised right forearm. Remember, the Firebird was designed by a car designed who knew squat about how a guitar works, so the ergonomics are a little suspect! :) They are neck heavy as hell as well, so you need a strap that's not at all slippery. The first time I played mine at a gig I used a nylon Jim Dunlop strap and was wearing a silk shirt. It only took one song's worth of wrestling the headstock off of the floor for me to give up & swap guitars...

I know how you feel about the Ric 620/6. I have one and I have real trouble adjusting to the neck when I pick it up. Doesn't help that the last time I used it in a gigging situation the band leader called an SRV tune just after I switched to it and expected me to do the "heroic bits". Wrong guitar :D

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

If you're not Donald Trump I think it's not good to keep guitars laying around.. Guitars should be played and loved and I think the Rickenbacker, which is a wonderful guitar, deserves to get played. So get rid of it and try something else... The Bird might be a good choice, a Gibson with quirks or something like that. It might not be the handiest thing on the planet, but looks cool and probably sounds great as well.

Something with P90's would be cool too. A double cutaway Les Paul Special? Or a SG.. Would sound way different I guess with or without P90's.

7. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Rick 6 strings are guitars that everyone is interested in until they buy one-then it's kinda like 'what do I DO with this guitar'? A 12 string is a different story, but it's scope is so narrow that it's hard to justify having one unless your harem is REAL big or you play 12 string a lot.I I owned a 360-6 and a 330-12, and the 12 string stayed around a lot longer.

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Not necessarily true . . . some years ago, a friend of mine, a bandmate at the time, had a 360-6 and it was the most amazingly variable and versatile guitar . . . . far more versatile that I assumed a Rick to be . . . and the music we played was Hard, loud, punk/psychedelic with lots of opportunity to test the complete range of a guitar/amp possibilities (he used a Boogie SOB) . . . . stupidly, he got into asian music and sold it thinking he had a nice enough job that he could simply buy another one when the time came

. . . now he is jobless and lamenting his Rickless state

9. amper

amper Member

I assume your 620 has the Hi-Gain pickups? Have you considered swapping them out for the Ric Humbuckers, like in the 650 Dakota? There is a huge difference in sound between the Hi-Gains (as in my 330) and the humbuckers in my 650D.

As far as the usefulness of Ric's is concerned, there are quite a lot of people out there who play Ric's as their primary guitars, and even some who won't play anything but. To me, a Rickenbacker is a "do anything" guitar that has a sound that falls in between everything else out there. My Ric's are the most versatile guitars I've ever played.

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

If you aren't using the Ric, well you may never use it. As for the Firebird, it is true that it is neck heavy, but so are SG's and other guitars of the like, however there are very few guitars that sound as kick ass as a Firebird. I had one a few years ago that was just incredible, but I was saving up to get another guitar, and that big ol' case made it difficult to fit in my tiny ass car, so we had to go our seperate ways (Chi got one hell of a deal :D .) I dig Firebirds, they can be a little tedious at times, but I generally beat the hell out of my guitars when I own them and gig with them, and this guitar was no exception and it still held up quite well, great guitar to have in the arsenal!

11. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

i'm willing to help you out, give me the rick and your problems are solved. :D

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for you replies gentlemen!

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to test an SG Standard today and see if we speak the same language. The store I'm borrowing the SG doesn't have a Firebird, but I'll order one in if the SG doesn't suit my taste and still feel the RIC doesn't work for me.

Don't get me wrong, the 620 is a lovely guitar and I wouldn't want to part with it. I just need a guitar that suits my needs. I don't think fitting RIC humbuckers will solve the whole problem either. The neck is just a tad too small for me and so is the 3/4 body.

I'll keep you informed on developments!!

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yeah, Teddy Boy, report back on how things are working out!

I really feel to need to defend the mighty Ric a bit too.. I had a wonderful Ric 360, which was my main guitar for 4 years. I was very satisfied with it. Well, that one got destroyed in a fire so.. A Ric is certainly not for everyone, but it's a very versatile instrument. No, it's probably not the instrument to shred on but offers great clean/jangly sounds, has absolutely killer od capabilities and the distortion department sounds great as well, always very personal! And I think the fact that the Ric is a bit hard to play maybe for the lead stuff makes it sound quite interesting..
    Anyway the 360 is probably the most comfy Ric..

But it's hard to go to Ric after playing other guitars IMO and especially in a Gibson setup it can be pretty hard.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

My quest has taken a few steps forward tonight. I took the SG Standard to band practice tonight and boy was I surprised. It actually sounded really nice. I don't know what particular feature, the pickups or the all-mahogony body, makes this guitar sound really warm and full.

The sound was a lot more round and warm compared to my Les Paul Standard w/Burstbucker Pros, which is quite punchy and definately somewhat harder. The cleans were really nice and balanced. Better IMO than the Paul, driven sounds growled, no bark, and they a nice earthy flavour to them especially with my Menatone TBIAC6 and Fulltone OCD. I would have never believed they could sound so different!

An added bonus is the weight and the rounded shoulder. So much nicer to play for long periods. I may have a new guitar!! I'll have two guitars with distinct Gibson tones, yet differ from each significantly enough to justify having both. I'd still like to test the Firebird, but I won't be too worried if that chance doesn't arise too soon.

I'll post a picture soon! My greatest worry is that the guitar looks somehow stupid on me or that it looks too heavy rock for my bands style. Who cares!