Rid: that Quattro.......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andershoeg, Sep 12, 2005.

1. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Back from rehearsal: I'm satisfied!!! This is a GREAT unit!! Using it with a Patrick Eggle "Berlin Plus" guitar, and a Mesa Boogie F30 combo and MB Thiele C90 extension cab (also new). This setup ROCKS!! So small and simple, yet so powerfull!
    The comp is great, not noisy at all, transparent, and work great as a booster too. (20 db boost I think; enough!)
    Then the overdrives: also just what I wanted! Also very transparent drive 1. Breaks up nicely, on both humbuckers and singlecoils. Drive 2 more aggressive, at 3 0'clock it is really smooth parred with the neck humbucker. Neither of them are scooped in the mids or anything....neutral I think. Very nice, just what I needed :)
    The chorus....tonight I used it ALOT more than I thought I would! Great for some 80's stuff. Works well on both clean and drive sounds. I'm not into extreme settings on a chorus, but depth at 12 o'clock max, and speed at about 8-9 o'clock. Brings a nice 3-dimensional sound. Think Prince "Purple Rain". Great. Feels like the chorus boosts the signal a little bit, but nothing to worry about.
    And the delay-ay-ay-ay....just as great as my delayla xl I think. On the delayla I don't use the slapback function at all, so having the tone knob on the quattro delay is just like expanding my delayla with some more functionality ;) Only "downside"; on the delayla I'm used to have the tempo button on the right and on/off on the left. On the Quattro it is just the opposite; tempo left, on/off right....you can't imagine how many times I have switched the delay off and on to tap the tempo........ :s well, think I will get used to it :) Haven't used the loop except for trying it with a tuner. works great also.
    Overall this is a fantastic unit! Feels sturdy, well build. Nice soft, yet firm, feeling when turning the knobs. I like the "one-power-cable"-thing ALOT! Should it fail at a gig my 2-channel Boogie and my delayla xl will save me :)
    That's it. Conclusion: this is a keeper for sure! Great sound, great quality, can't ask for anything more.....well I could....but then it wouldn't be a "Quattro" ;) And it would be bigger, and then the whole idea goes down the drain.....so all in all:
    GREAT job, Niels / Carl Martin!!! Just what I needed :)
    B.r. andershoeg

2. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Nice review and spot on I might add. I love everything about mine!
    Greg

3. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Good to hear that it treated you well:)
    Niels

4. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

I got mine yesterday. Only got about 2hrs in with it at home, but so far im reeeeally liking this thing.

Compressor - exactly as others have stated. It is VERY quiet, the boost is nice, and you dont need to over do it to get some punch- i have the compression knob at about 9o'clock and the level set to unity gain. Just enough to add some punch.

Gain - This is my favorite section. Drives are unbelievably transparent. More so than any other overdrive pedal ive tried believe it or not. They clean up well with the volume knob, and have plenty of gain when dimed. These cannot do metal, but id say they can handle "hard rock" with no problem. Perfect for my needs.

Chorus. Nice. I set the speed at 830 and the depth at 2oclock. Perfect to add some space.

Delay- also good, but I dont use delays that often.

5. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Man, I've loved my Quattro (1st version) since the day I got it but tonite I plugged my recently aquired Les Paul Traditional Plus (in Ice Tea finish) into it and a semi clean amp and wow! Cream, Gov't Mule, Free, Humble Pie! Big, creamy, throaty tones that sang, snarled, and soared like never before from me. Once more, Rid ya did good...real good! The overdrives in this thing are just perfect with my LP.

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Once again, you are welcome:)
    I bugged the boss about the tremolo before christmas....now I do the usual waiting, it takes its sweet time:D
    Maybe we can get it back to that version as well, so that both versions can be purchased...
    Niels

7. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

one thing that would be a welcome addition would be reverb as well.. but im not complaining with the current setup either :)

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well..no space left.
    :)

9. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

Rid,

For the overdrive section, which pedal would you say this is modelled after, or closest to in sound?

10. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Nothing, it is just an overdrive made to suit the most amps out there.
    :)

11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Well it sure worked out. I found it clearer than my old LTD SR and cops a very decent D Sound when you throw in a little compression. I've kept the Quattro while a lot of pedals came and went. Says something.

12. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Updated my profile to include some of my favorite gear including the Quattro of course. A little shameless advertising for Carl Martin...they deserve it!

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I love the CM stuff I've had and I've been extremely interested in the Quatro, but I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, but is the echo time only controlled by tap-temp? How do you do a quick slapback?

Also, I don't use chorus at all, but will the chorus do a decent rotary speker imitation if it's turned up?

14. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

yep, tap tempo only. the two knobs change the decay, and mix.

15. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Sounds stupid but... tap fast. Works great. Can't tell you about the chorus - mine's a trem version.

16. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Yeah, mines the trem version also. If I want a quick slapback I just put repeats at zero and smack the tap tempo switch with my hand...I can get a shorter slap that way. Not an ideal situation but it works and is a SMALL price to pay for owning this excellent piece of gear.

17. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Forgot to add: I use a DLS RotoSim in the Quattro's loop for my leslie fix...don't know if the newer Quattro's chorus will get you in the ballpark or not.

18. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Most loop in a analouge delay set for slap, but you can tap in relativly short times....cannot fit it all in;)
    The chorus was made for oldschool tones, it has no compander, it is filtered the oldfashioned way, so sometimes like other old designed stuff it can have troubles with other timebased or phasing effects, but it behaves 97% of the time...doh...
    The Quattro in is present form will probally not change much.
    But we have sometimes talked about making making another multi beast, but we are not sure what direction to go, it is just random talk.
    Loose talk about MIDI....yeah some love that....I hate it:D
    Floor pedals are simple beings in my eyes, this trend with racklike features is just not my thing, the beauty with pedals to me is, engage it and you have a sound coming out, simple to operate and does not give you a headache while being on stage!
    Plenty of other great builders out there for that, better that they do it, than somebody who really does not put his heart and soul into it!!!
    Maybe some other developer for us can pull out such stuff??!
    Dunno?!
    But it will not be Thomas and me:)
    We are of the keep relativly simple school.
    Anyways I think a modular board or something like that, is coming up from our revamped Vinatge line.
    I will return to work in a few days hopefully, have been down with an infection in my balance center for a whole month now...doh!!
    So I have been out of the loop for sometime now...and before Christmas I was busy with my other work.
    But I hope to return with some more news:)
    Niels

19. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Rid - if there's no room to have a manual delay tempo control how about modding the tap tempo software so that when you hold the switch down for a second or two the speed goes to a pre-set slap back setting, one that's possibly too fast for a foot to tap in.

20. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Allright....
    last year I did something stupid. I first bought this quattro (NOT the stupid part), and after a couple of months....i sold it again(THE stupid part!!)! NOt because of the sounds, because they were amazing. But because my unit failed (suddelny no sound at all), and I was loosing faith in the whole "one-pedal-thing". I had it repaired at the Carl Martin "factory" (small place, very nice guys!). But I lost faith.....without giving it a chance after the repair! Stupid me! Because now I'm once again in love with the whole concept of the all in one pedal-thing. And I really like the quattro-thing....so....I've ordered it once again :-s
    Yes, shouldn't have sold in the first place, but I did. Now my band is up-and-running, and I would LOVE the guitar-Quattro-amp-setup. So guys; once again I'm in for the Quattro. And this time I will use and abuse it....I NEED it, period. Sounds were fantastic, it was stupid me that wasn't giving it a chance. I'm all in again :)
    Cheers
    andershoeg