Riffmeister

riffmeister

Ahhhhhhh.......I now have a few back-up Ei 12AX7's coming my way.......these are my FAVORITE preamp tubes for clean to medium gain!

Thanks Mike! :)

michael.e

Supporting Member
Hey Riff,
What kind of amps are we talking about? All types? Fender, Vox, Marshall, Gorilla..... M.E.

riffmeister

Everything I've ever had except for the Matchless C30 and Two Rock Ruby........those amps had the richness & brilliance "built-in".......didn't need any extra help from the Ei's. However, the TopHat, Carr, Aiken, Dr. Z, Fender, Tone King, Bruno, Germino, and Kelly amps I have (or had) all sound great with at least one Ei in the chain. For example, my Club Royale has Ei/Ei/LPS for V1/V2/V3.......it's a rich, full, and brilliant sound.......brings out the best of the Vox & Marshall lovechild in this amp!! :D

Jimmydeez

Supporting Member
I am really loving my Mullard EF86 and RFT 12ax7 in the 6545. The RFT made the 65 side much closer to my BLack Cat crunch which I love. Also with my Hot Cake the 65 side has the lead tone I have always wanted at a reasonable volume.

riffmeister

Originally posted by Jimmydeez
I am really loving my Mullard EF86 and RFT 12ax7 in the 6545. The RFT made the 65 side much closer to my BLack Cat crunch which I love. Also with my Hot Cake the 65 side has the lead tone I have always wanted at a reasonable volume.
Glad to hear that the 6545 is working for you! And by golly, I also had an RFT in my 6545 for the 65 side for a while... :eek: ...that's another great sounding tube....rich like an Ei but a little darker.

ericb

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by riffmeister
Glad to hear that the 6545 is working for you! And by golly, I also had an RFT in my 6545 for the 65 side for a while... :eek: ...that's another great sounding tube....rich like an Ei but a little darker.
My Rft's are all darker and ballsier than my EI's... I have loads of EI's.. I have Ei's before they said EI on them .. They were made in the EI factories in the 80's and those are my favorite 12ax7's. Other EI's are my favorites in Voxy amps for sure, and definitely when I had the Club Royale the EI's were it. Rft's are great at adding ballsy creaminess! ERIC

ericb

Silver Supporting Member
gotta wash your hands after installing them, LOL!!! :D

Exactly! I'm surprised more guys don't use them! Oh boy

ERIC:eek:

Blue Strat

Thanks Mike......these are great tubes.......cool looking boxes, too!

I should be set for a while now. :dude
Awesome! In reality, I was hoping for some primo Siemens ECC83s (since they were in Siemens boxes and had Siemens labels) but this is part of the "tube game". Glad my supplier trusted me on what they really were or I'd have been out a load of cash.

riffmeister

Originally posted by Blue Strat
Awesome! In reality, I was hoping for some primo Siemens ECC83s (since they were in Siemens boxes and had Siemens labels) but this is part of the "tube game"..........
We in the pharmaceutical industry do not have the same luxury of putting whatever label we want on our products!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again! :D

Trending Topics