Right Hand issues after sigificant stroke...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by GuitarsFromMars, Aug 28, 2006.

1. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I had a stroke on July 5th this year,and completely lost the use of my right hand.I have got some of the picking speed back but my rythym is lacking at this time.Has any one on a pro level had this happen to them and what did you do/use to regain your skill set-I am struggling a bit and could really use some assistance.I am using a metronome for some of the excercises(scales and chording are done separately at this time)and am wondering if there is anything else I am not looking at that I should be?
    Thanks,
    GFM

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

Oscar Peterson (piano), Danny Gatton (guitar) and Pat Martino are 3 guys that have suffered strokes to varing degrees. I think the fact that you are playing is the absolute best idea and whatever problems you are having should eventually work themselves out just by sticking with it. Practice and try to play everything that you have played in the past is perfet. I think you can add Jerry Garcia to that list too. Pat Martino and Jerry Garcia both had fairly crippling strokes where they had to re-learn almost everything.

Just stick with it....!!!!:D

Chris

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

With respect,Pat Martino had a brain tumor removed and Danny Gatton commited suicide because of the stroke-I am originally from D.C.;Oscar came back and Jerry is now deceased-I would like some help from some one who is alive and has been through this if possible-I need help and ideas from a technical and theraputic standpoint not 'attaboy's'Thank You.

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Just trying to point out that it can be done. You seem to be fairly well informed about the people I mentioned perhaps you could find some articles on those mentioned that may speak of what they did to help recover. My guess is that they did just what everybody does when learning in the first place, you just have to re-learn it.

I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and not offered any advice at all.

Good luck.....I guess...

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Sometimes words don't convey the message-I get that you were trying to help-I was trying to find a fellow stroke victim or fellow healthcare pro-I am a critical care RN of 20 years-who has been here and already has a methodology.:cool:

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Well, strokes affect people in different ways. What works for someone may or may not work for you. Perhaps someone that has suffered a similar stroke can help but again, it's most likely going to be advice like "just play as much as possible". From what I understand about strokes and admittedly that's not much, you have to re-train your brain to do things since certain areas are not working anymore. Perhaps a physical therapist could help? If your rhythm comping is your main area of concern, my guess is that maybe some very light weightlifting may help along with stretches to increase mobility....

I hope you can find someone that has been through what you have that can maybe help.

Take care....

Chris

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

We don't have much down here in the provinces, splatt-I have nobody to lean on and there is no therapies other than those that I do from the paper they gave me(i had no insurance when this occurred) and am now working on the fine motor stuff to restore rythym chops and the ability to consistently play lead and/or double stops which I cannot do wjth any degree of consistency.There do not seem to be a lot of support groups for people my age(50) who play music in Florida.I have a high regard for your views-I have shared that with you before.I always welcome opinions in general but I am looking at hands on things right now...

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I am in a town called Port St. Lucie,Florida-Splatt I am driving,playing guitars&piano,albeit poorly,walking up to about a mile at a stretch,actually cut up a steak yesterday evening,and moved to a new home about a week ago-I am doing OK and I play for up to 6-8 hours/day.I just want to improve on what I can already do.Failure is not an option.

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

"Failure is not an option...."

With that kind of attitude you'll be fine.:JAM

Oooops, sorry that might be another "attaboy"....

Chris

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    GFM, have you looked into nutritional therapy books and the like?

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have not at the present time,due to a abnormally high triglyceride level-once the physician is satisfied it is lower,then alternative homeopathic diets might be an option.

12. Wayniac

Wayniac Member

As stupid as this sounds, it depends on what the problem is in your rhythm playing.
    Is it fatigue, hand position, sensation (ability to tell how hard you are muting, etc)?
    The reason I ask.. for therapy, you may want to try something that has similar motor skills - painting or sketching with fine line brushes or markers, building models (use a tweezer), etc.
    That will use the same or similar nerve paths, while also recruiting some of the support nerve/muscle groups and may help speed up the recovery.
    Just a thought
    Best of luck

13. gennation

gennation Member

You may find this interesting and helping.

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=14335

It's Pat Martino's message forum. Pat is probably one of the top 3 best guitarist to ever pick the instrument up.

Years ago a he suffered from a brain anurism(?) and lost his long term memory. He's had to start over playing guitar from scratch!

Read through that as it contains much info about his rehibilitation and upward struggle to be right back up on top.

It's an amazing and inspirational story. And he give some very detailed information on it.

Good luck!

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I believe that luck is when opportunity meets preparation-Thank you for the link,brother...

15. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Hypnosis can be helpful in several ways. 1. It can help maintain a relaxed and open frame of mind. 2. Help maintain a positive attitude, although it sounds like you are already doing an admirable job of that. Lastly, there seems to be some support for it helping to rewire how the body does things.

Best of luck to you,

Kevin