Right Hand technique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by joemail75, Feb 9, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of good lessons or explanations of the right-hand technique of players like Derek Trucks or Luther Dickenson? I've seen Mayer do it as well (as I'm sure numerous artists have). It's playing pickless and using a combination of the thumb and fingers and I'm just at a loss. Sometimes the thumb is working it, then sometimes it almost appears to be a slapping maneuver with the other fingers with the thumb anchored. Is there a specific name to this technique other than just hybrid picking? I see it a lot with slide players. Thanks!

For an example of this since my description is probably poor: check the black crowes live at the artists den on YouTube. 12 min in.

2. Ognagol

Ognagol Member

Hybrid picking refers to holding a pick with your thumb and first finger while also using your other three fingers to pick strings. Don't look hybrid up if you are truly looking for fingerpicking tutorials and exercises. Lots of good stuff on youtube on both approaches.

3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I think that approach is loosely referred to as Travis picking, though the blues guys probably have a different name for it.

4. DNW

DNW Member

I dunno about the others, but Trucks spends a great deal of his time playing with a slide. In which case, fingers rather than pick is beneficial for muting purposes, seeing as with slide you lose a bit of the muting ability of your left hand. You can pluck a note, and then so the note isn't ringing out over the next string you're about to play (although sometimes you'll want that), you drop the finger back down to mute the string as you play the next string with a different finger.

Just in general even without a slide though, IMO there's a great deal of muting and dynamic control with finger picking that you don't have with a pick.

Simple thing really to get a hang of it would be to just work on going from one finger and string to the next without them ringing over each other. So play say the D-string with your thumb, then as you go to pluck the G with your index finger you drop the thumb back down to mute the D, etc. That'll get pretty boring pretty quick like that, but do it while running through chord changes or whatever to keep it interesting.

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Some close watching of Derek Trucks will reveal that, when using a slide, he plays the greatest majority of the notes on the 3rd string, mostly using the pick for the down strokes, and finger(s) for the up strokes., although he mixes in some economy picking when the passage calls for it.
    If you're going to use slide in standard tuning, the 3rd string is your best friend.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

sharpshooter, I don't think Trucks uses a pick. It's with thumb and fingers.

Sans pick is my favorite way to play and teach. I'd suggest taking some lessons and get one on one instruction with someone who can do that style. Mark Knopfler, Beck, Urban.... Lots of cool sounds and they all have their own twist on it. Fun to play. All kinds of cool sounds just not there with a pick.

7. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

No on almost all points.

8. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Hahaha.

I guess it would seem that the answer to my original question is "No", there really isn't a specific technique. It's just each unique variation of fingerpicking. Good enough.