Right Hand Technique ?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by LonesomeCraig, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I play McCartney style. Palm-muted strings with a pick. It's my favorite sound but ill occasionally play the traditional way with my first and second fingers.

2. s2y

s2y Member

I find better to be subjective. Easier on the hands, for sure. More natural bloom and sustain, sure. Better toanz? Eye of the beholder.

3. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

All pick, all the time for me.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

there's a joe bonamassa interview video around here where talks about the various british blues-rock gods he's gonna be sort of referencing on his next tour or whatever, and while noodling on his LP he demos this very principle; playing with a light controlled touch on the right hand creates that creamy, sustain-y clapton tone, almost seeming to sustain more than when he hits it harder.

5. s2y

s2y Member

Gary Willis explains that sound is more of a log function. The hard hit has a quick decay and seems to fall off quicker. The softer hit doesn't quite decay as quickly. I could be off on relaying the info. Long day.

walterw likes this.
  6. 202dy

202dy Member

That's how he says it. Not sure that physics will bear that out. It is probably how he hears the wave form, with a big peak at the attack and a quick, steep, decay that levels out. Plucking lightly will tend to de-emphasize the peak at the start of the note producing the illusion of which he speaks.

Great player, though.

7. Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan Member

Hmm... This thread makes me wonder if any of you use your nails when finger picking. I cut mine down to nothing so they never touch the strings.

8. sears

sears Member

The super light touch sounds smoother locked in with a kick drum. If bass is accenting the kick drum hits, and the drummer is, it can produce a clunky ensemble sound. We've all heard it. Being able to dial back your attack when necessary (by playing softly and turning up your amp) is the easiest way for a bass player to effect a smooth ensemble sound. You can still go clunky if you want. Or get a Distressor..

Nails, no, I don't trim them way down and use the flesh on my finger.

This is totally the right question as far as playing bass. Right hand technique is where it's at.

9. s2y

s2y Member

Your explanation makes way more sense than mine.

I think he took lessons from Jaco back in the day. His playing is always great. The music can be a little out there at times.

10. oldfart

oldfart Member

I started out playing guitar so, when I picked up a bass, I naturally used a pick. After a while I started using two fingers for slower to medium paced songs but still use a pick for faster songs. With the pick, and playing in a bues/rock trio, I have arrived at a technique where I will include a lot of dampened ghost notes. With a pick my hand floats freely, with fingers I anchor my thumb on the pickup or the end of the neck.

11. champion ruby

champion ruby Member