right pot value for P90s

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Greggy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    When I received my Agile LP P90 axe (solid mahogany gold top body, maple neck), I immediately replaced the korean 500k pots with CTS 250k audio taper. At the time I was on the fence with respect to 250 or 500s. I decided on the 250s because I prefer darker tones. Now that I've gotten to know the axe, and have installed Fralin pups, I want a slightly brighter tone, especially on the neck pup. Just curious how big a difference I can expect moving up to 500s. I also installed orange drop caps .033 value. Would .022 or .013 make a noticeable difference in brightness? What do most manufacturers select for pot and cap values in P90 axes?

Thanks!

2. george4908

george4908 Member

Most, but not all, P-90 guitars will have 500k pots, and that's what I prefer in mine. Swapped out the 250k in one of them and it was an improvement, for me at least. A little too dark before, now it has the right sparkle.

Are the Fralins you pu tin also P-90s? Because if they're Fender-style singles, the 500k may seem too bright, I'd stick with the 250k.

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Fralins are P90s. They sound very good as is, but I strongly suspect 500s are the ticket. They flub out somewhat on the neck pup when the gain is turned up. Too much low end loading the front end of the amp. But the bridge pup sounds just right with the tone turned back to 7 or so with the gain cranked. Just trying to find out what others have experienced before ordering pots. Thanks.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Be sure to adjust pickup height and polepiece height before going as far as a pot change. P90's are quite sensitive to proximity to the strings. If you have a lot of mud, back the pickup out and raise the pole pieces. It gives some twang back... It's worth a try before you fire up the soldering iron.

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

Good idea. I've monkeyed with pup height. For now I have the neck pup screwed down low and away from the strings. It was closer to the strings before. I'll try your suggestion by raising the pup again.

6. saros141

saros141 Guest

My stock '55 Junior has a 500k volume and a 250k tone. Plenty bright enough but not harsh, and still a strong, dynamic signal. I bet the Bumblebee would meter out over .03 by now.

7. Greggy

Greggy Member

Hadn't thought about mixing pot values. Interesting, I'll look into that.