Righteous Tones and Biyang pedals...same boxes ? builder ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnK24, Jan 24, 2008.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I was surfin' ebay looking for a true bypass delay and found the following units...

[​IMG] and the Righteous Tones Electro Glide (from Canada, eh?)

[​IMG] ?????

Ok, the Biyang notes it's an analog delay with true bypass (at $68), the Righteous Tone for $74 is noted as digital. I'm guessing someone in China is making these and silk-screening whatever cool name/logo is requesting for a batch. I'm gonna pop for the BiYang, we'll see....:crazy

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, on the enclosure the Biyang does say "Analogy"! I'm guessing that, and the 1100 msec delay time, pretty much rule out an analog pedal (there's no way you could buy the 2-3 BBD chips for an 1100 msec AD for $75).

3. BassPlayerJosh

BassPlayerJosh Member

RT pedals are made in China so it is entirely possible that the boxes come from the same place.

4. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

They're not exactly the same, the Biyang Tonefancier pedals have a switch to switch between some different settings.

The first version of the Righteous Tones pedals had the same housings as the Moen pedals. I don't know if the circuits are their own design or just Moen/Biyang pedals with their name on. It would be interesting to compare :D

edit:
    TR pedals (with pictures of the 1st version)
    http://filters.muziq.be/model/righteoustones

Biyang pedals:
    http://filters.muziq.be/model/biyang/tonefancier

Moen pedals:
    http://filters.muziq.be/model/lanyao/moen

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

Let us know how it goes with the Biyang pedal. I was looking over their OD pedal on the bay, the other day. To be honest, I'm a believer that you can't get something for nothing. The price of these seem almost unbelievable. But I've not heard any reliable reports of the pedals as yet.

6. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

I have a Biyang fuzz since last week and I like it, especially the "bright" setting sounds great on my bass :D

7. redpill

redpill Member

I like the idea of the Biyang stuff, although that delay pedal is not all analogue. I saw a spec on it that showed at least one digital component. Now it may be all analog in the lower delay time setting, but someone would have to open one up to know for sure.

8. JohnK24

I opted for the Righteous Tones delay, I figured if the build quality is "iffy" at the least, having an additional switch for the delay time is something to come loose. I'll post my thoughts later next week.

J

9. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Any thoughts on these. Its cheap enough to consider taking a chance.

10. kp8

kp8 Member

where do you get the biyang stuff?

11. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

e-bay

12. billywade

billywade Member

I bought the RT Fang, in the newer box, off eBay at the suggestion of some Gear Page experts. I've been happy with it and the quality actually seems pretty nice. I think I read where someone said it shared a circuit with one of the MOEN pedals.

13. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Righteous Tones owner (Jeff) sent some prototype pedals overseas to get pricing on manufacturing... next thing you know Moen and now Biyang spring up! I can assure you that both Moen and Biyang use the cheapest components available (why wouldn't they?) My guess is Biyang sprung up because Moen's reputation for quick and likely breakdown was hurting sales (it was time for another brand!) If you want to support a cheap knockoff peddled by thieves, well, best of luck with that brilliant decision! You've been warned. Ask Jeff about Moen and Biyang! It happens every day. Cheap, Chinese knockoff Shure mics are being peddled on ebay as well.

14. JohnK24

Well, I'm glad I purchased the Righteous Tone delay from Jeff then. It's a nice delay, seems solid, does it's job and doesn't have hiss/hum...nice box for $85 US

15. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I have three righteous tone pedals, the sound is good to great but the build quality is questionable. The led's have flickered on all the pedals since day one and sometimes don't come on at all. The ac jacks are placed in such a way that the plug is prone to mechanical stress and if jostled at all it cuts power to the pedal. The switches are noisey! They are very audible when switched, even tapping the pedals give off noise in some cases.

The delay sounds really good and is my favorite pedal, it's a warm lo-fi delayed sound that I can't get from my dd3's. But the knobs move so easily one small bump and they move from their settings.

The TS clone is my least fav of the three. Noisey, uninspiring and prone to the other probs I mentioned with the overall design -it has never touched my pedal board.

The looper is an inspired design but again prone to noise and mechanical issues. Trust me having a loud pop in your vocal strip every time you engage the pedal over a loud PA system is not acceptable..

Overall, I still think the value is there as the pedals were very inexpensive, but that comes with a hidden caveat..you get what you pay for..

Just my .02 YMMV

16. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I had a Moen Fuzz Moo for a bit and, honestly, it sounded really, really good. Like a good green Sovtek BMP. But the footswitch was dodgy out of the box. I didn't hold onto it for long (I have a lot of muff fuzz lying around), so I don't know if anything else went wrong. But, really, it sounded good. That was enough to make me happy for such a cheap box. If you had to, you could switch out the footswitch yourself for a few bucks and still have a great-sounding cheap pedal.

17. rex kwon do

rex kwon do Member

As an owner of 2 Biyang pedals (Delay and Fuzz) and a Moen pedal (Shaky Jimi), it comes as a disappointment to learn of this information shared by our fellow TGP'er. My experiences with these pedals have been very positive and I haven't had the same issues as some have complained about. Of course, a lot of those same issues have happened with some of my more expensive, boutique pedals. Sound quality has been definitely above average, especially considering the price.

That being said, I will check out the Righteous Tones gear immediately and see if I can support our guys here.

18. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

I'd email Jeff if you're having problems with your pedals, that doesn't sound right. I've owned three of the RT pedals myself, the Jack EQ, the Looper and the one that's never left my board, the Electro Glide Delay. I've stressed all these pedals daily now for quite some time and have never had any issues with a footswitch popping or an LED blinking out.

19. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Just tried some Biyang pedals, very impressed for the price. Build quality is reasonable and most of them sound pretty good!