• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ring Modulator Question

devinb

I want to preface this with a disclaimer that I know next to nothing about ring modulators, or how to talk about what they do.

That said, I've been playing with the virtual ring modulator in Logic Pro X on a sequenced Fender Rhodes part I wrote, and I really like the effect when the frequency curve is set to Exponential, but can't imagine personally using it when it's set to Linear. I'd like to experiment with a real ring modulator on a real Rhodes in an upcoming recording session, but the pedals I've looked at don't seem to offer the option to switch between the curves in a similar fashion as the virtual pedal in Logic...what options should I be looking at? For the record, I don't own a Rhodes (the studio does), and I'll probably be renting pedals for the session, so I'm really hoping to be able to get things to come together rather quickly as far as sounds.

corbetta

Uhm...is the ring mod in Logic sweeping the carrier frequency? Most classic ring mod pedals have a fixed frequency that can be adjusted or, in some cases, synced to an external LFO. Maybe look at the Fairfield Randy's Revenge (CV in for the carrier) or the EHX Ring thing (loads of options...)

corbetta

Are you using the Ringshifter plugin? In that case, you're hearing a frequency shifter in addition to (or possibly instead of) the ring mod; they are two different effects. Try the OSC ring mod setting for a traditional ring mod sound and see if that's what you're after, otherwise you might look into freq shift pedals (I don't know any off the top of my head...)

devinb

I've been playing with the Roswell Ringer in the pedalboard, trying to approximate some Mahavishnu Orchestra sounds where the Rhodes almost becomes vibraphone like, which I read Jans Hammer got with a ring modulator...but when I searched out examples of people playing an actual Rhodes through an actual ring modulator in other places, it they tended to sound much more like the Roswell Ringer with the switch set to linear, harsh.

chankgeez

Jan Hammer sounds with Rhodes & ring mod are great! :phones

@corbetta is correct though, Jan Hammer also used a frequency shifter.

There aren't too many options for frequency shifters. Mostly synth modules. Analog units are very expensive. Audio Damage is supposed to be coming out with a digital frequency shifter in pedal format though.

corbetta

From the Logic plugin knowledge base:

Lin(ear) and Exp(onential) buttons: Switch the scaling of the Frequency control:
* Exp(onential): Exponential scaling offers extremely small increments around the 0 point, which is useful for programming slow-moving phasing and tremolo effects.
* Lin(ear): Linear scaling resolution is even across the entire control range.

It doesn't look like the effect is doing anything different, it just changes the level of control you have over the carrier...so you should be able to get the same sounds in both, but you may have to adjust the freq control differently. Sorry I don't have Logic to mess with it myself!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom