1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ringing noise from the guitar amp-ed!!!???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by yannis, Mar 6, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all,

I have noticed that while playing some single note riffs on A,D strings, i get a metalic ringing sound coming out of the amp. Having eliminated the amp possibility i focused on the guitar.

Initially i thought some bad fret, but this happens at any position on the fret board using the A,D strings so the frets dont play a role here. Upon further investigation i have noticed that if i mute the unplayed GBE strings then i got no ringing sounds at all.

Now this ringing noise is like a metalic ringing sound after the normal sound of the note played.

This issue is more pronounced when using the bridge pickup. Neck relief is spot on, as well as intonation and action as far as i can tell.

Any ideas?

It is a Tokai LP LS85Q with a tune-o-matic bridge (without the retainer wire)

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Probably just because you are not muting the unstruck strings - sympathetic vibrations from the strings you are playing.
    It can be a useful effect. At low volume.

Best, Pete.

3. yannis

yannis Member

Cheers Pete,

so it is not a faulty bridge or wrong pu height?

I get it when i play sunshine of your love riff on A,D strings , or for example when i play Black dog. Now depending on my attack i get the ringing or not.

I wonder if it is bridge related or pu related or if it is just my ears/technique doing it.

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I'm going to take my theory in a different direction. Do you have a Tube amp? It could be the preamp tubes, whatever the protector cylinder is called with the spring inside. I had this happen after changing some preamp tubes and I went back and checked each one. It stopped the metallic resonating for me.

5. yannis

yannis Member

Well i tried this with 3 different amps and it happened with every amp. And yes the preamp tubes were my 1st suspect. After eliminating this possibility with the metal shields or the possibility of a microphonic tube, i focused on the guitar.

I dont know if it is my technique, or if there is something wrong in the setup of the guitar or in the guitar itself.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

You'll soon learn to mute the unplayed strings if you ever gig with a Marshall Superlead with everything turned to the right!

I'm sure that all it is. Just try and play those same things but trying to mute the other strings, you'll hear a difference, no?

Best, Pete.

7. yannis

yannis Member

if i mute properly there are no ringing harmonic overtone rattles. If i dont sometimes they appear. Thats about it?

By the way i noticed that something similar occurs even acoustically when i pluck some strings (EA) open, for example while tuning... a metalic harmonic sound.

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I get some strange ringing when doing wreckless tapping. Basically what's happening is the string is vibrating between the fret and the nut. The answer here is improved technique.

9. yannis

yannis Member