• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ringo Starr at the Grammys

GibEpi89

I dont think i have seen anybody bring this up but are we all in agreement that Ringo faked it on drums?

They weren't actually trying to hide Abe were they? i couldn't help but laugh my ass off the whole time.

Maybe I'm bashing him, if i am, delete it.. sorry. But i just think if they're gunna do a song together why not actually play and pick an easier song? Instead of just playing Paul's newest single and pretending...

gibson3798

I don't think that's bashing Ringo. He was playing but not carrying the beat many times, just sort of supplementing. It was very clear a few times on some fills and turnarounds. Not that surprising really.

drewl

I don't think you could hide Abe.....

Anyway, he still can play, doesn't have to fake anything but why Paul decided to do his new song, well I guess to plug it as a good salesman would.

rsm

IMO, having Paul and Ringo on the grammy stage was the goal. I'd guess Ringo may have listened to the song a few times on the way over to the show, but had no need to learn it. He was helping his friend out, promoting his new song. or so it seems to me.

If I could chose one drummer to work with, it would be Ringo. He is welcome to lay down drum tracks on my tunes any day! (psssst, hey, Ringo, PM me please!)

:cool:

8raw

Everybody is at those shows for mercenary reasons. Ringo is doing a tour with some people.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
When I caught Ringo Starr's All Stars live, Levon Helm played the drums on most of the songs.

Flogger59

When I saw the Allstars with Greg Lake, Ian Hunter, and Sheila E, Ringo just slayed on 21st Century Schizoid Man, and at that point in the show he was alone on drums. His sound was huge, too. Sheila sounded light in comparison.

OutterLimits

Just a jam with his old friend.

But Ringo's talent faded long ago, he spends more time giving the peace sign than actually hitting his notes. Legends are legends, they can blow oats and still be worshipped.

And his wife still looks goooooooood!

phoniako

I don't think they were hiding anyone.. I remember just Paul and Ringo with the spotlights on them, after all it was about them, not Abe Jr or the others musicians. It was a merely symbolic act to have Ringo on-stage with Paul.

Probably an old Beatles hit would've been nice, but as someone said on this thread, Paul has a new album and it was a great opportunity to play his new song. I just enjoyed the fact these guys were together.

CDaughtry

I can't help being reminded of the interviewer who asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and John responded, "He wasn't even the best drummer in the band.":D

Flogger59

I can't help being reminded of the interviewer who asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and John responded, "He wasn't even the best drummer in the band.":D
Yet, when you look at the studio logs of the tunes that Ringo didn't play on, there is not a one that is not a composite take.

Sidney Vicious

I don't think you could hide Abe.....

Anyway, he still can play, doesn't have to fake anything but why Paul decided to do his new song, well I guess to plug it as a good salesman would.
Of course he plugged it - he needs the money! :bonk

mrbungel

I'll cut Ringo some slack here.
Man, he's almost 74, been in the
world's most famous band.
Fame and fortune that few ever experience.

Not the greatest drummer, but perfect
with das Beatles. They could not have chosen
a better personality/drummer for the band.

After a life like that,
I have even more respect for him.

Still hoping that something special will happen on Feb 9th.
I would have preferred a Beatle song too,
but it's just nostalgia.

Peace Ringo, you deserve it.

DirtyJerzey

It was clear he wasn't playing, and they didn't totally try to hide it. The other drummer was dimly lit and off cam though. And honestly, most people watching probably didn't even care. Paul and Ringo were on the state together, that's what people noticed.

I'll cut him some slack, there. Further, I thought his solo performance was good, and I liked the song he did.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Just a jam with his old friend.

But Ringo's talent faded long ago, he spends more time giving the peace sign than actually hitting his notes. Legends are legends, they can blow oats and still be worshipped.
:spit Love this line!

I saw the All Starr band last year and they were great! Ringo had Greg Bissonette (sp?) on drums and he carried the drums all night (fantastic drummer). Ringo gets back behind the kit moreso for the nostalgia factor, IMO, but he can obviously still keep time and not step on the other drummer's toes. I'm sure he can play as well as always but I don't think he cares to. He has nothing to prove at this point. He's a legend living a great life and obviously having a blast.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a fun project for you: Name the interviewer.;)

Ringo has nothing to prove, at this point. Beyond that, even if Lennon did make that joke (which nobody seems to be able to document), McCartney played on 3 songs. Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, and The Ballad of John and Yoko. Composites or not, that's not exactly enough to declare Macca a better drummer than Ringo.

And who criticizes a drummer for not hitting his "notes?" Notes?

Top Bottom