Ringo's Drum Set backwards

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I found this video about a year ago and could NEVER locate it again - but I just did. Talk about chaos. The Beatles are set up to play a live show in Washington DC, but Ringo's drums are (literally) set up facing the wrong way:

This is definitely the day before live concerts got "so professional." - terrible staging all around here.

Last edited:

Walter Boots

I thought this was gonna be how Ringo was a Lefty playing a right handed set up for years-and struggling against his natural body movements-which is true.And yet he was still great.
PS-Joe Strummer was also a Lefty playing backwards-watch his pick hand in any video of him playing and it's obvious.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I found this video about a year ago and could NEVER locate it again - but I just did. Talk about chaos. The Beatles are set up to play a live show in Washington DC, but Ringo's drums are (literally) set up facing the wrong way:

This is definitely the day before live concerts got "so professional." - terrible staging all around here.

This on the DVD The Beatles First US Visit. It's not a bootleg. "You're a wanker Murray the K!"

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
There's the concert where john or paul's mic stand was loose and the mic kept turning away from his mouth mid song. They're playing arena gigs with roughly the same complexity of rig we use for local bar gigs today.

CGrisamore

Drums were not set up "the wrong way". Stage was in the center of the arena and every few songs they rotated to face a different direction so that the audience got a good view. Super awkward and you'd think that constant stopping and starting would affect the energy of the show but as you can see this was the height of Beatlemania and the audience screamed the entire time anyway.

beanbass

There's the concert where john or paul's mic stand was loose and the mic kept turning away from his mouth mid song. They're playing arena gigs with roughly the same complexity of rig we use for local bar gigs today.
That's Budokan, 1966. That turning mic drove me crazy.

Reddog

Geez...those poor guys, having to turn their backs on a nearly out of control audience. Who's idea was it to make them turn around every other song? Nevertheless, I loved this, seeing how those guys dealt with a chaotic situation, were mostly likely unable to hear themselves at all, their first US performance, and still did an amazing job...

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears

Yeah, It was John's mic and he could not fix it - so bad. It's really funny how they really didn't have a clue on how to do a stadium show back then.

Here is another one where only John's mic was working:

I don't get the "bootleg" comment.

Here us another look at the clusterf*** at the beginning of that Washington DC concert (not edited). By the middle of the show only one vocal mic was working, and they did play some songs with their amps facing backwards.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom