Rio Grande BBQ pickups....Anyone have these?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have been told that these are very thick and raw. That sounds good to me. Anyone have experience with these?

2. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Yes, I have one in my old carvin ultra v. It's a maple body/neck with ebony fret board. It sounds good clean, crunchy and all out metal. It splits nice when combined with my neck pu split.

It is sensitive to feedback, more so than other pickups I have.

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

have them in a couple of my LPs custom which also has an ebony fretboard, and my LP humbucker special with a rosewood fretboard works great in both gutiars, , as gdomeier they are excellent split coil pups, both are their Texas BBQs sets.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

A good pickup for heavy sounds and does clean well, too. It's not exactly muddy or muffled but it can be a little dark depending on what you're using it with. It rounds off the highs nicely and I found that it worked best with a brighter amp.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Pretty middy and bass heavy. It's dark and thick (congested) to me. I like more open clear crunchy tones from lower output type pickups, even for higher gain stuff. But match the pickup to the guitar. If I had an anemic guitar that needed some muscle and low end, maybe that one would be alright.

6. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Way to thick and muddy for my tastes.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm with budda and big mike on this one. Had them in a McNaught, and couldn't get them out fast enough. Went with a WCR GW/DB combination instead which is sublime. But I crave a clean PAF-ish sound, so take it in that context.

8. lowrider

lowrider Member

I have the texas/bbq set in my homebuilt. I love them. As far as feedback goes, I have none. With all of my other guitars I can hardly get the gain past 11'oclock without getting feedback. With this guitar I can dime it without any. They dont seem muddy to me and as someone stated this can depend on the amp or guitar. My f-50 does have a sightly bright dirty channel, but I'd say the treble knob still isn't set past 9 or 10 o'clock. To me they are big, bold and ballsy.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i tried them in a hollow-body and a semi and they were way too dark and muddy for me. much more gain than a traditional paf style too.

10. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I can't wait to try them out. I wanted to put them in my custom silverburst but went with Aldrich suhrs instead. I think they would work well with an ebony board guitar especially one with a maple cap like a lp custom.

11. UMT

UMT Member

I bought a pair for a FrankenStrat HH that I built and they were 'OK' but I thought they should have sounded better for all the good things I had read about them. Was going to sell them on Ebay right away but decided to throw them in my Tele HH just to make sure. That Texas BBQ set is NEVER leaving that Tele HH!

I learned a lesson there: pickups just don't sound the same in every guitar.

I put a cheap pair of DragonFire HB's in my FrankenStrat HH and it breathes fire and sounds glorious!

Who'ld a thunk it, huh?

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

If you have a bright and very polite guitar that needs some umph.... go for the BBQ/Texas set. They're dark, they're fat and they will push your amp well. In the right guitar, they're an amazing set of pickups.

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

would they be too much for a 137 classic or 335???

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

would not use them in a semi-hollowbody, they are great in my LP custom with the ebony neck, which is naturally bright and punchy,

my epiphone sheraton has Jerry Amalfitono pickups, every thing he does is amazing, really made that guitar sound great

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8n7ad/amalfitanopickups/id2.html

of course he is local, so could go over and decide what pups to use, but all his pups are just amazing.

15. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Pray that you don't have to endure their "customer service". Bounced emails and a phone that rings until eternity. They are on my "Never Again" list.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I had them in an Epi Elitist I bought and I found them to be very dark, smokey... I guess muddy to a certain degree. I did replace them and put them in an old Ibanez pre-lawsuit LP (maple bolt on neck) and they actually sounded great in that guitar (a brighter, lighter guitar for sure).

17. UMT

UMT Member

I do have to kind of agree here. It seemed to me that I was buying pickups from a pair of guys who basically drank too much beer and smoked to much pot and only went to work to make some pretty fabulous pickups when the beer/pot money dried up. A little frustrating trying to buy a set but I finally found a dealer who actually had them in stock and it all worked out. I am very happy with the pickups.

18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have a BBQ in a few les Pauls. In my '73 LP custom the BBQ is thick and meaty in the Bridge. Its seems super high output in that guitar. I my '95 LP studio its a different story, the bridge sounds much more balanced and not thick at all in comparison. It actually sounds a bit thin in the LP studio. So as usual it really depends on the guitar.

19. AxelF

AxelF Supporting Member

I have them in two McNaught Vintage Double Cuts. I love these pickups.

Humbucking sound is quite thick but with a definite attack, even high gain sounds can have a crunchy attack if you want. It also sounds more open than my 1996 PRS CU 24 or McCarty, which might be due to the McNaught.

Single coil sound is very much tele-like - bright, but the tone stays fat. This is opposite to most other splitted humbuckers, like in a PRS McCarty or Modern Eagle (or with Seymour Duncans JB and Jazz), where the tone decays very quickly after the attack. The BBQs sound much more usable in single coil mode.

So, I find the BBQ set to be very versatile and great sounding in all variations.

20. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

have the split coils in my LP special humbucker, the split coil tone is great in that guitar, the humbucker does get a bit muddy, I have only the humbuckers in my LP custom, the Texas BBQs really amazed at the tones I can get from that guitar, I always hated the PAFs that came with, sounded like a horn, the ebony neck does that bright and punchy, the Texas BBQs really balanced that out to give me just amazing tones.