Rio Grande bridge, what neck pickup (Telecaster content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soulgolem, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hi, thinking of going for Rio Grande's Muy Grande Tele pickup in the bridge, but I don't want their neck pickup since it can't take a chrome cover ? Any suggestions as to what pickup could work great with it ?

Also, how is the muy grande as for getting twang and vintage spark ?

Francis.

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

cant you get a tallboy classic with a chrome cover?

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Wouldn't it cause an output mismatch ? If that is possible, I'd consider a Fralin Blues in the neck maybe.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Yes you can get a Tallboy Classic with a chrome cover. But you can't get a Fralin Blues with a cover -- just a Vintage.

(I've been on a massive pickup hunt in the past week. I think I have several websites memorized by this time....)

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

You can get the Fender Texas Special neck only...it has a chrome cover, and goes GREAT with the Muy. That's what I've got in my tele, and it SMOKES.

6. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

I had really bad experience with Texas Specials, just really not my sound, if the muy grande sound like them, I'm turned off, though my band's singer loved those texas special... the funny is thing is that people that listen to music in general wouldn't hear the difference, and us guitarists virtually break our balls for those little details !!

7. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Hey man,

I use a lollar in the neck of my Tele. It runs nicely with a Fralin Blues wound in the back so out put wise it would be fine me thinks? I really like the vintage vibe from that pickup.

My dos pennies

Good Luck

Shawn

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with Lollars .. although I just picked up a set of Haussels to try in my new project pretty excited.
    Also Kinman Broadcasters I think are awesome.

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Adder.

Works for Paisley.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I wouldn't say "the Muy Grandes sound like the Texas Specials"... the Texas Special bridge SUCKED, IMHO. Took that out right away. I loved the neck pickup, tho. So I replaced the bridge with a Muy, and it's heaven. More mids, more growl, still hass that Tele twang (altho less of it than a "standard" pickup would). Sort of like a Tele bridge pickup with a little humbucker thrown in. Fat.

I found the TS neck also fat, but clear. Definietly hot. They are a good match.