1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Grande--My God!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tacorivers, Oct 17, 2005.

1. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking for a set of single coils for my Tom Anderson Classic for some time. (I do not like TA pickups) I was seriously considering some Lollars or Fralins, when I came across the Rio Grandes. I was at Rockin Robin (local guitar shop and partners with Rio), and the guy suggested I try a set of Muy Grande pickups. He had a strat all set up and a Dr. Z kt45.

After 10 minutes I was sold. I bought the "muy macho" set, which is a Stelly in the bridge and two muy grande pickups in the neck and middle. After installing them in the Anderson, I think that they are a perfect match. Andersons have their own vibe and are not very vintage sounding. These hotter pickups give the sound a thickness that mates well with the Anderson set-up.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Congrats. It's a great thing when you find the right "fit" with your style and guitar/pickup combination.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Rio Grande makes great pickups and I'd like to try a Dual Calibrated set for my Strat but I play high gain so I worry about hum and noise.

4. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

LOVE Rios. I have Muy Grandes in my strat an my tele. Fat single coil tones. Gets in between traditional singles and P90s.

5. FUSER

FUSER Member

I have used the Vintage tallboy- Halfbreed- Muy grande and yes wonderful pickups. The Tallboy is the one I liked most. Big round tone. All 3 were great when overdriven. I have saved the tallboy if I want to back to it.

6. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

Never tried the single coil Rios but the humbuckers in my McNaught sound great.

7. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I have a Nash "S" with Tallboys in the neck & middle, Halfbreed in the bridge. Bill Nash described the guitar as big, fat and nasty sounding, and boy was he right! When I turn down a bit I get a nice bright classic Strat sound.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

That's the same setup I have in my Nash S. It is fantastic sounding and I may order a set for my USA plain jane Strat. The Halfbreed bridge pickup is a good mix of hot/vintage. I don't like super hot single coils, they lose the Stati-ness (that's a technical term).

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've had a Muy Grande in the bridge of my Strat for a long time but just put a Muy Grande in the neck and a Halfbreed in the middle.

What a difference!!!!!! I can't put this guitar down now. Thinking about a Stelly in the bridge now.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

Rio grande makes some great pickups!

11. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Lovin' my Blues Dawg.

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

Speaking of Rios, I also have their Bastard and Fat Bastard (P-90s that fit a humbucker rout) in a Heritage H-150, which is sort of similar to a Les Paul. Very nice.

I have not tried their humbuckers.

13. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of the Rio's. When I had Bill Nash do a Strat for me, I was all about "more is better" and suggested Muy Grande for the bridge- and Bill had me go half-breed in the bridge. I couldn't be happier with the choice. Love them- I think the Tallboys in the neck and middle and Half-breed in the bridge is about as good as it gets. At least for me. :)

14. ford

ford Supporting Member

I have Rio's in two guitars, my Robin Wrangler and my Robin Avalon Gold Top... the Wrangler has a Muy Grande humbucker in the bridge, half breed in the middle and a muy grande single coil in the neck.

The Avalon has a BBQ humbucker in the bridge and a Genuine Texas humbucker in the neck. Great combination.

Now here is the cool part about Robins new oval pickup rings. My Avalon can be switched to p90's with no modifications, so if I find me another really cool humbucker guitar, I could put p90's in the Avalon.

I also have a set of Rio tele pickups that I'm going to put in my Hamer T51.

rock

bford

15. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I have some Rio's in my Nash Tele, I also had a Rio BBQ bucker in my Hamer Sunburst. Rio's rule. I've never been disappointed with Rio's.

16. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I have some Tallboys in my Nash. The neck and middle to be specific. I loved the Half-breed in the bridge....I still have it and will try it in another guitar at some point....but I replaced it with a Fralin SP43 so I could have a little more push.

I love these p'ups.

17. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Another Rio fan here. Recently had a BBQ Bucker and two Dirty Harrys installed in my Highway One Strat. Fired that puppy up at gig volume for the first time this past Sunday. Holy SMOKES what thick, thick tone!

[​IMG]

18. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm considering all Muy Grande set in my 70s ash body maple board strat. I'm torn between this or maybe going with tallboys in neck and middle with Muy Grande in the bridge. I'm suprised that so many of you are going for other models in the bridge. Wouldn't you want the hottest pup in the bridge????? Do you all think the tallboy in the neck would be a bit more musical??? The Muys aren't too strong for an ash body maple board I'm thinking.

19. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've settled on Halfbreeds in the neck/middle and a Muy Grande in the bridge.

The thing that I like about the Rio's is that they are hotter pup's but still seem to have a flat eq response, kinda like a real strat pup with more output. If I want a thicker midrangy tone I'll pick up my other strat with Texas specials(and a Stelly in the bridge :) )

I especially like the fact that Rio started making the Muy Grandes with white covers. Noww my old 70's Strat looks normal from a distance.
    Except for the bloody mess ;)
    [​IMG]

20. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I used a Big Bottom Tele set for a couple years (Tallboy neck, Muy Grande bridge). Loved the neck pickup, one of the best I've heard. I couldn't get the bridge pickup to give me any girth. However, I don't think it's a fault of the pickup, rather the guitar's design. Very light 1 1/2" ash body with a thin neck.
    I should pop 'em back in now that I have a beefier neck on the guitar.