Rio Grandes in a McCarty?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wooldl, Aug 15, 2005.

1. wooldl

wooldl Member

Has anyone tried the Texas/BBQ combination in a McCarty? I have read that they make a great pickup that splits nicely for a great single coil option, and that's what I want. I love the sound of my McCarty, but you know how it is, always looking for greener pastures and a better tone. :D

Thanks,
    Dale

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Dude, I live in Houston where they make those pickups.... Rio Grande pickups suck.... I've tried a lot of different models for my guitars and they all feedback, in an annoying piercing squelchy tone.... They're just plain Horrible... Look at Seymour Duncan.... I personally like his antiquity series....

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I just went back to using the SD 59/N & Custom 5 Bridge pickups in my McCarty, Definitely fattens up the McCarty!

4. wooldl

wooldl Member

Thanks guys.

Wow, Devil-tone, that is a different review than I have read. What kind of experience do you have with the Texas/BBQ?, what style of music and type of gear do you run? I don't doubt your opinion, but I'm still doing my homework. Thanks.

How does the SD '59 do when split?

Thanks

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

I actaully never used the BBQ but all the humbuckers and single coils I used, I didn't like..... the SD '59 sounds good in full, I've never used a spilt HB..... Look under "new guy here" post, that's my rig....

6. jlagrassa

Both the 59N and C5 split very well and dont get dull sounding!

7. wooldl

wooldl Member

Cool, thanks for the input guys. :)

8. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

LOL...antiquitys are unpotted & are guaranteed to squeel, Texas/BBQ are potted, & in my opinion feedback perfectly on my rig - That is just when I want them to ;)

I love the Texas/BBQ set in my 68 LP Custom RI FT, though in a darker guitar they wouldn't quite fit.

As far as Seymour Duncan, the only PUPs I still use is two I modded myself, and ALL my guitars had SDs before 5 years ago.

Today I prefer WCR, Voodoos & Rios - The Tallboy/Muey Grande HB set I put in my latest USACG Carved-Top S was just blowin' my mind about 10 minutes ago...talk about a versatile rig!

9. Colt

Colt Member

I have a Rosewood McCarty w/ seymour duncan antiquity's....I don't split them. I don't really like spliting P/U's...but I love these pickups in my McCarty. I would replace the volume knob while you're at it...make it more useable....

10. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

I have a set of the BBQ's in my Heritage Blues Deluxe (Slightly smaller version of a 335). I have the option to coil split and have found these pups great. I play blues and jazz mainly and they work great for me. I'm very happy with them.

11. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Dragon II..........great pups. I talked with Paul when he was here in Charleston. I put them is and love them. It's a 91 Goldtop.

[​IMG]

12. HHB

HHB Member

I totally dig the TX/BBQ set I have in a Hamer Mirage, got em both tapped and they work super good in full and tapped modes, I never get any microphonics, very happy w/ them in this guitar and am considering a set for my '68 LP custom as well

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

The Antiquities in my Tele will sqeal a little and the antiquities in my guitar players strat really don't squeal at all... but I've had tallboys and Muy Grandes (single and HB's) and they both were complete crap... I gave them away for free I hated them so much... Really like like the Burstbuckers in my LP, and Antiquities in my Tele...

14. wooldl

wooldl Member

Different gear, different preferences, different experiences,...I am primarily looking for a neck pickup that will split better that my McCarty pickup. I like to use the neck in singlecoil mode a lot of the time for those purty clean tones.

15. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i never liked splitting humbuckers...sounds too thin. most people dislike the sound of the stock McCarty p/u's, but i love mine. it sounds just fine to me...id like to try some Z-90's in there though...that may be interesting....

16. jlagrassa

I just ordered a pair of WCR Goodwoods for my McCarty, I'll let you know how those work out!

17. wooldl

wooldl Member

I bought a Mouy Grande (sp?) used and found that it did not fit in a McCarty with doing some wood shop activities. And that ain't happenin'. Rio told me that the Texas/BBQ would fit, but they were the only ones with the taller tabs.

I would love to here a P90 in the neck position though.

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

+1....im gettin curious...

19. wooldl

wooldl Member

Man, I've got to proof read my posts before I send them out.:rolleyes: I can't believe I misspelled .hear