1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by keith_t4e, Jul 31, 2006.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

How do the Rio Strat replacements sound? Are they Hot? Which ones should I get and shouldn't I mix like Muy Grande bridge, tallboy neck, halbreed midle?

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I have some Tallboys in the mid and neck. Slightly darker/hotter than vintage but very articulate and clear. They really like overdrive. I had one of the Half-breeds in the bridge but preferred a slightly hotter bridge p'up so I installed a used Fralin SP43 I had lying around. It's a great combo, but I still want to try a Stelly in the bridge of my strat with the Tallboys.

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    If you want a tele sound from the bridge, I can recommend the Stelly. Has a slight nasally midrange tone when overdriven, but this may be tamed with eq in my experience.

5. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Both my Strats have Rios. Muy in the bridge and middle, half-breed neck. The Muy's sound a lot like P90s. I've tried a lot of single coil pickups, and for me, the Rio's sound the best.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

They came in my Nash. There is a Halfbreed in the bridge and Tallboys in the middle and neck. I agree they're a LITTLE darker and like overdrive, but they sound perfect in that guitar.

7. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I agree they are darker, but they are not what I would call a "dark" pickup. They retain detail and clarity, and still have a nice top end. Even the Muy. Warm single coils with a lot of output without getting harsh or too dark.

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

OK thanks guys. I want the bridge pup to be a bit hotter than the others. I like good ol strat tone "some quak" from middle and neck. What Rio combo do you recomend the Tallboy in neck and middle and muy grande in bridge. I do not like it when single coils are said to sound like P90s. I have a lp special in TV Yellow for that.

9. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

How about this combo? Stelly in Bridge/Muy Grande in Middle/Halfbreed in Neck?

10. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

You should try the Dual Calibrated set (Muy bridge, Half Breed middle, and Vint Tallboy neck). If the Muy really worries you, go Half Breed bridge, either half breed or VT middle, and VT neck. But, the Muy approaches P90, it doesn't sound like a P90 (hence the Dirty Harry).

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Are the tallboys hot enough to be in all three positions. I do want to be able to put my off white aged pup covers on the new ones.

12. Cthross

Cthross Member

So would they mix well with a Pearly Gates in the bridge of a Fat Strat?

I have Texas Specials in there now, but I have Fat 50's in my other strat which makes the TS's pretty uninspiring. Flat sounding. Would tall boys be a good mix with the PG?

-Chris

13. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I would be hesitant to put VT in all 3 positions as Rio doesn't have different winds for each position. In other words, if you get a set of 3 Rio pickups, they are all identical (in output, DC resistance, etc). You could certainly adjust the heights to achieve balance, but it's not ideal. The VT are just slightly hotter than vintage.

14. jrincones

jrincones Member

I installed the Dual Calibrated set in my Mexican made Strat and "Boy Howdy" it is now a totally different animal. The range of sounds I get from the bridge to the neck are awesome. It seems to get sounds like both Single coil (at the Bridge) and humbuckers (at the neck) in the different settings. I would highly recomend the Rio Grandes in the Stratocaster.

P.S. I have also heard the Henry the guitarist for Los Lonely Boys uses Rio Grande in his strats as well, but not sure if this is true. Anyone out there ever heard this from anyone?

15. stratcat85

stratcat85 Member

+1 on the DC set and the Stelly is freakin' sweet.

16. DrBob

DrBob Member

My long suffering wife bought me a set Rio Grande's for a Birthday present.
    If memory serves it's the 'Midbottom' set which is Vint Tallboy, RW/RP Vint Tallboy, and a Halfbreed in the Bridge.

I don't have access to a 'real' vintage Strat for a contrast but I will say that since having these pickups I can get every classic Strat sound I've ever strived for, I can't reccommend them highly enough.

Only thing that I would say is that the larger polepieces on the Halfbreed makes fitting pickup covers difficult !

17. rooster

rooster Member

I've got a set like that to get rid of. It may actually be Stelly (bridge) / Halfbreed (mid) / Vintage Tallboy (neck). The halfbreed is RWRP.

Good set, I just switched to Bill Lawrence is all.

rooster.

18. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I have a "Big Bottom" set waiting on the body to get here. I have everything else to complete the guitar. Anyone have experience with this combo? I was wanting a traditional 3 single setup, but with some extra grunt in the bridge. I hope these work out.

Mark

19. ford

ford Supporting Member

I have Rio's in my 2007 Robin Ranger standard... it has the muy grande in the bridge, half breed in the middle and a Genuine Texas humbucker in the neck.... it sounds AWESOME!

I think the muy grande sounds like a strat pickup. Just one that is ready to tear it up...... I'm really happy having it in the bridge....

Good luck.....

rock

bford