RIP Buster B. Jones

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by John Bell, Feb 23, 2009.

1. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

2. HHB

HHB Member

man, too too young! RIP man, you could really play

3. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

He died almost three weeks ago....how in the world could this have gone unnoticed?

No justice....I read where they had to raise enough money to cremate him.

Rest in peace sir....tell Chet we all said hello.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

What happened to him...?

5. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

He could really rip a gtr in that Travis/chet/Reed style...What a sad loss for his friends and family..

I might be totally off on this, but wasn't Buster actually Brad Jones?
    I seem to dimly recall he won a GP mag player award one year, back in the '80's. He played a fingerstyle blues and his winning entry appeared on a "soundpage" along w/ 2 other entries. I seem to be remembering that the actual issue was the one w/ Gatton on the cover.

I remember being blown away at the great playing on that Brad Jones/Buster Jones entry.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

He basically drank himself to death.

Hard to believe what he could do with a guitar in his hands.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Fine player, nice man.
    What a shame...

8. Wagster

Wagster Member

Dang what a shame........Great player

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Yeah....that's the guy, Richard. He was featured on that flexidisc because he won a Guitar Player "Unknown Talent" competition. Amazing tune......"Backporch Boogie".......I think he recorded it into a boombox. That version is available on one of his early releases, of the same name.

Really sad to hear he passed. GREAT player.

10. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, I saw about 10 years ago. GREAT player and a very funny guy.... RIP Buster!

11. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

RIP Buster.

I got a chance to see him at a guitar clinic about 4 years ago. Such a great fingerstyle and travis picking player and defintely a great sense of humour. What a shame.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

There's a thread on him over at the Tele forum.

Remarkable talent.

13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Awesome player,what a talent.

R.I.P.

14. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I just heard about his passing last week. Saw him in Miami last year and he was amazing...

15. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

This is devastating. After Brad won the Guitar Player contest, my college roomate and I found out he taught at Fret Mill Music in Roanoke, VA. We were attending VA Tech at the time, and we drove about 45 minutes each way for the lessons. He taught us both together for an hour. I still have all the handwritten exercises he gave us. He took a liking to us and invited us over to a Christmas Party he was having at his trailer with some guitar buddies. Among the attendees was his brother (whose name escapes me just now) who just KILLED! He played rings around everyone, including Brad. Man, those lessons and experiences with Brad were fantastic.

Once, after we had stopped taking lessons, we were browsing in the strore when he came down from upstairs and said, "let me show you a tune I've been working on called 'Wild Turkey.'" He then proceeded to take a 12 string off the wall and decapitate us. My God, that sound! He will be missed. RIP, Brad.

16. stekks

stekks Member

I saw him a long time ago at a clinic, what a great player. RIP

17. Tread

Tread Member

What a loss...I knew Brad. He lived just a few minutes away from me for many years in Chamblisburg Va. We taught guitar at the same music store Fret Mill in Roanoke Virginia. What an awesome player...he would invite me over to his house to "Pick" (his words) and same as always I would end up sitting there with watching him in total awe....as there was no way on earth that I could keep up with him....at the same time tryin to teach me the riffs/runs that I asked him to slow down for me LOL!!!! it was quite a treat!
    One thing though...he didn't just sit and play while you sat....he would always ask you to play something that you knew and then play along. His real passion was teaching. Teaching to him was a passion. His real passion I think. He just wanted to sit and jam and make music and make you a better player. (LOL! probably so that I could keep up :)) He wanted everyone to keep up.
    That was a real treat.

I'll never forget one day while we were teaching at the Fret Mill.
    I was teaching rock and roll etc...(this was 1988/89) Led Zeppelin, Van Halen...etc...
    He was teaching his style which was astonishing....as always....
    ...and the lessons always ended on the half hour.....anyway neither of us had a student for the next half hour and he had heard me teaching the previous student some Van Halen and asked me to teach him the solo to Jump LOL! ain't that a memory....didn't take him long, had a little trouble grasping the fingering but was off and running in about 7 minutes.
    That was great for me....I got him to teach me for the rest of the half hour.
    And any time that I had after that.
    I always thought that I'd see him again even after he moved.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  18. rockstarzusa

rockstarzusa Member

Man, I have been studying his Jerry Reed DVD for months now. What a player, and a decent teacher. I was thinking I'd love to see this cat live, wow, thats so sad (if he drank himself to death as someone said)
    I noticed that he seemed to have lost a lot of weight in his later DVD releases....bummer, what a set of fingers.......

19. Gretsch6120

Gretsch6120 Supporting Member

I remember seeing this guy at a godin guitar clinic here in my town, I was about 17 and he was amazing. Super nice guy signed posters for everyone that attend, there wasn't that many but that means something.

20. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

OMG. How the heck did I miss this??

Buster was amazing. The stuff he and Thom Bresh have done is mind blowing. WOW...... Just WOW.

What a loss.