• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

RIP Charlie Watts

ScalpRock

Love some of their unique hits of the '60s, and other stuff up until "Love Is Strong", but the way Charlie answers the guitar solo with some inspired pounding shortly after 2:14 in this video always puts a smile on my face - sounds they were locked in and having a blast on this one:

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
RIP to one the greatest rock n roll drummers. Many people underestimate his ability because he was not a flashy drummer, but he was crucial for the massively influential Stones sound, and that’s all you can ask for.

Also, the only Stone that went to Brian Jones funeral.

Respect
I do not believe that is true. There is a documentary that shows footage of the funeral and they get a comment from Keith and he’s clearly choked up as he speaks..

He said something along the lines of “hey not everyone’s gonna make it to 70 you know…”

mango

RIP to one the greatest rock n roll drummers. Many people underestimate his ability because he was not a flashy drummer, but he was crucial for the massively influential Stones sound, and that’s all you can ask for.

Also, the only Stone that went to Brian Jones funeral.

Respect
I do not believe that is true. There is a documentary that shows footage of the funeral and they get a comment from Keith and he’s clearly choked up as he speaks..

He said something along the lines of “hey not everyone’s gonna make it to 70 you know…”

Pretty sure Charlie and Bill went to the actual funeral.
Mick and Keith didn't.

leftygeetar

anyone know why or how he developed the style of not striking the hi-hat and snare at the same time?

It gives the snare breathing room.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
anyone know why or how he developed the style of not striking the hi-hat and snare at the same time?

It gives the snare breathing room.
Funny though that when Charlie rides the cymbal, he keeps it going without the pause. Also, there is plenty of footage here and there where he does strike the hi-hat. Pretty rare, but I’ve seen it quite a bit. Maybe like you said, maybe it is to give it breathing room and for the snare(perfect tone) to stand out more.

Grun

Silver Supporting Member
Brian was very innovative tear drop guitar and sitar > songs like, > Painted black, satisfaction, This will be the last time, Get off my cloud, ETC. Time it's on my side...
As a kid Brian was my favorite Stone. I suspect I was not alone. Mick and Keith may have sensed this which may have helped accelerate his decline and ultimate ejection. None of them (save perhaps Charlie and likely Bill) were above despicable behavior.

Charlie seems to have been the ultimate team player.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
At every concert, when the band was introduced, Charlie always got the loudest and longest applause. He was the most beloved Stone. RIP.
I first saw them on the Steel Wheels tour and five times after and when Mick introduced Charlie it was exactly as you described it at every show . Charlie would be standing at his kit with this who me type grin as the crowd went nuts. I always looked forward to it

wombat66

Charlie Watts sitting at Louis Armstrong's desk & stereo

Aug 24
"We’re deeply saddened to learn of the passing of legendary drummer Charlie Watts, who spent a memorable afternoon touring the Armstrong House in 2019. A true gentleman and a wonderful musician, his work will last forever." - Louis Armstrong@ArmstrongHouse

Prina

Fantastic drummer. In Charlie's case, like Ringo and most of the AC/DC drummers he was there when he needed to be and more in the background when he didn't. It was all in support of the music. For example, in Jumpin Jack Flash his three note startup just adds an extra kick to the beginning of the song.

I also loved Bonham and Moon but Zep and the Who had a very different style and doubt that either one of them would have sounded as good with Keith, Mick and the others.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom