RIP Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jpervin, May 18, 2017.

1. Simto

Simto Member

Love Audioslave. I just feel like if if they had made one album with the best material from all three albums, it would have been one insane album!

2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

:beer

BUK likes this.
  3. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I have or had the first album when it was a demo and I liked that better. Its exciting. Modern production just smothers the excitement out by not being live enough. That's a whole 'nother rant, but that Audioslave demo had me so so amped about it, then I heard it and....well, it sounds better now.

Man this is just the biggest kick in the balls in a long time.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I've got questions still...

Why didn't the bodyguard remove the band from his neck and start CPR?
    I would imagine the band is in mourning and pissed 43 different ways...wonder how many times they saw him with the red band during the tour?
    Maybe Chris planned this all along and wanted to 'go out' in the midst of touring with his original band?
    Or maybe Chris thought of this tour becoming cliche and simply 'packed it up' and left?

5. fishleehooker

I can't talk about this enough I guess....

I think Chris is getting the most love of any of the big 90s guys to die. Why that is, there must be many reasons, but the one I think is that he brought the scene together in many ways, most obviously with Temple of the Dog and allowing Eddie some moments as well as giving McCready his shot and all that. Chris, even while suffering at times emotionally, was able to verbalize his love for the listener, while Layne and Kurt just weren't wire that way at all. Chris was also on Alice In Chains, likely my fave of those bands actually, SAP and that one is all the better for it too.

One of the real bummers about all this is that the Industry feasted on these Cats so much that they turned and ran from the scene and we all lost a lot of music because of it. Cobain first, then Layne and co bailed around the time the 'Garden bailed. Etc. Mostly we just lost some music that could have been really good.

6. fishleehooker

I'm the type of guy that will be wondering about this 'til I can't wonder anymore.

7. Route67

Route67 Member

+1. "Money can't give what the truth takes away..."

fishleehooker likes this.
  8. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

After hearing the duet with his daughter I'm curious if she will pursue music. She seems like she has the gift.

drewbledsoe and pickaguitar like this.
  9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You only think you know, which writers, musicians, performers and vocalists are really moving you. As compared say, to others.

I really figured this out when I heard Chris was gone. Unbelievable.

I thought he was writing and performing for someone else, and I even gave away a set of tickets to one of his shows one time, convinced a couple younger guys I knew would enjoy it more intensely. (I was also terrified about how loud it would be).

We've lost some gifted people lately, but something about the sudden departure of Chris Cornell just really messed me up. I know he was fragile but it wasn't supposed to go down like this. Angry at you, man! Angry.

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  10. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I agree. This is a great song and vocal. My favorite from this record (which is saying something).

You will never hear a word from meeeeee, if its an all night thing.

Feel so bad for his family to have to live with this.

randall g and spakuloid like this.
  11. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Ah, but your best of all three would not be the same as mine, so lucky we have all three albums. Why would you want less output from such great artists ?

12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

No. Show Me How To Live is an excellent song, but I don't think there's much that be a sequel to Jesus Christ Pose. Listen through headphones - there's so much going on and it's happening so fast and it seems to be both metronomic AND have a groove.

Just amazing.

Route67 likes this.
  13. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

He was/is brilliant. It's a different World without him.

drewbledsoe and Route67 like this.
  14. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Me too! I can't stop thinking about it.

15. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Yes, it is very difficult for me to even listen to some of his songs right now. Chokes me up. Feels like a piece of my soul has been taken away.

randall g and Route67 like this.
  16. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

When somebody so vital is taken so suddenly, it's a reminder that we are all mortal. Maybe that's at least part of the sadness so many of us are feeling.

BoringPostcards, cam and Route67 like this.
  17. Route67

Route67 Member

To reply more directly, the slow progress of a follow up to 2012's 'King Animal' must have been frustrating as well. I think the band was in a slump or busy with side projects.

There has been little mention of King Animal here. I was very enthusiastic about Soundgarden reuniting at the time and was sure to buy the new release, and thought it was good (some very dark lyrics; back then such was taken with a grain of salt, so to speak, as Cornell was the 'famous survivor' [no longer, the world is different now]). However, King Animal was fatally flawed by the addition/repetition of 3 'bonus demo recordings' tagged on at the end, at least in the edition I bought. Instead of an album, it became an unbalanced collection of songs. Unfortunate.

fishleehooker likes this.
  18. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe Member

I would say the same thing, and a lot of people have said the same thing. We've lost some great musicians over the past couple of years, but I don't really remember fans of David Bowie or Prince being moved with grief like this. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm 37, so I was in jr high and high school when the grunge scene was hitting big in the early to mid 90s. He gave voice to all the angst and sorrow, he was brave enough to acknowledge the demons that many of us wrestle with.

I watched Pete Thorn's video of him talking about Chris, and at one point he said that he remembered thinking, "Yeah. He beat it. All that stuff he was singing about that took Layne, Scott Weiland, Andrew Wood... he beat it." It sucks. It eventually got him. It's jarring because we believed that those demons were past him, and he had all kinds of money and reasons to be happy in his family life. Maybe it's the faulty premise that if you have certain things or status in your life, that should mean that you're fulfilled and the old demons can't touch you. Whatever role the Ativan played in his suicide, it's still a gut-punch for fans that felt and identified with Chris' vulnerability in his music.

Tony, cam, NortheastHick and 5 others like this.
  19. drewbledsoe

drewbledsoe Member

Nice post ChicagoJoe.

NortheastHick likes this.
  20. Route67

Route67 Member

Interesting comment about Chris' ability to communicate on a vulnerable level with the listener.

I'm coming to terms with the loss now, framing it in the context of a mid life crisis, health problems, but also a notion of high stress level in his life. He was known to set very high standards for himself in his work. I have friends (especially female) who would criticize anyone expressing "dark energy, negative thinking" in lyrics etc. but Cornell always came across on a very human, approachable level for me. It makes me think the final Soundgarden album may have come up short on that account; too sinister, lacking somewhat in human empathy, at least in a couple of striking songs. Maybe it was a warning sign.

BoringPostcards likes this.